Friday, November 25, 2011

Sara Richard Commission


Here is the latest addition to my commission collection, a pencil and inkwash Supergirl from Sara Richard. 

I got it at the Boston Supermegafest last weekend, a sort of pop-culture smashup convention. It is an interesting mix of B-list, C-list, and D-list celebrities, pin-up models, comic books artists, and dealers. This year's big guests were Patrick Stewart, Sean Astin, and the kid who played the young Boba Fett. It also included the guy who played Boba Fett in the original Star Wars movies, Rex Smith, and a bunch of Deal or No Deal models.

It is an annual tradition for me to go with family. My brother is a huge Star Wars guy. I am the comic book guy. And my other brother and brother-in-law tag along for the fun.

The big comic name was Ethan Van Sciver. Paris Cullins was also supposed to be there (neither showed while I was there). And a bunch of local artists were there. One of them was Sara Richard.  Here are links to her blog: http://www.sararichard.com/ and her deviant art site: http://sararichard.deviantart.com/

She has a great style, influenced by Japanese paintings and just eye-grabbing. As a local artist, I have seen here at a bunch of cons and have always meant to grab a piece from her. I didn't expect to see her at the Megafest so when she was there, it seemed like a sign. Knowing the folks I came with weren't in it for the long haul, I  opted for the quicker pencil/ink commission as opposed to the full body/color (which I would have got if I had more time to let her finish it).

Anyways, it is a great piece with a graceful Supergirl and it highlights Richard's style nicely.

No comments: