Thursday, September 1, 2016

Boston Comic Con 2016: Jae Lee Commission

Welcome to the third of four commission reviews from Boston Comic Con.

Today I showcase the commission I got from Jae Lee.

When Lee was announced as a guest, I knew he would be high on my list of commission hopes. I have liked Lee's art for some time, often buying books just to see his work (I'm looking at you Marvel Nemesis: The Imperfects!!  Bought just for covers!) But I really fell in love with Lee's work on the recent Batman and Superman book.

So much of that book was just gorgeous. In particular, Lee's take on Wonder Woman and the Huntress made me think he would do an incredible Supergirl.

Again, this is one of those times where some early legwork paid off. Emailing Lee, I got a price list but also a sense of how many commissions he thought he would be doing. Given my sense of Lee's availability, the fact that Terry Dodson took his huge list first then decided, and my prior conversations with Tana Ford, I knew I needed to get in Lee's line first.

Luckily I was at the top of the list and got this great commission. It is a great representation of Lee's art. From the sort of angular feel to Kara to the tendril-like hair, to the blank angry eyes, this screams Jae Lee. You don't need to see the signature to know this is Jae Lee. I love this commission.



I also like the action of the piece. Supergirl hoisting a giant rock seems to be a sub-theme within my collection. Remember, I don't standardly tell artists the pose I want Kara in. I just specify the costume. So to see Lee, Chris Burnham, and Joe Quinones all pick this pose is fascinating to me.

One more commission to come ... one of the most unique takes on the character in my collection.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I am getting off topic but I have something I really need to get off my chest. I have a recommendation for a back issue story to review on your blog. It's called "Elseworlds' Finest: Supergirl and Batgirl". Although Kara takes the place of Superman in that story, the core essence of the character remains intact. Here is a link to buy the book on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Elseworlds-Finest-Supergirl-Barbara-Kesel/dp/1563893754

Or you can buy a digital copy of the Elseworlds from comiXology; it's cheaper that way.

Anj said...

I own the issue and it does deserve a review. Hard to believe I haven't done it yet.

It will happen!

Anonymous said...

That's a very nice art.

I have read Elseworld's Finest. I have some trouble with the depiction of the characters (mainly Batgirl), but it's a nice story.

And if you think about it... it makes sense that Supergirl is so gullible and Batgirl is more paranoid than Miller's Batman. This is a world with no Superman and no Batman. Kara and Babs couldn't benefit from their victories, mistakes and years from experience when they started out. There was no Superman to tell Silver Age innocent Kara that evil has many faces and Lex Luthor is one of them. There was no Batman to show Babs that being ultra-paranoid is counter-productive.

Anyway, this story features Supergirl Kara Zor-El and Batgirl Barbara Gordon teaming up and becoming friends. And it was written in 1998, long after both characters were fridged. I love Supergirl/Batgirl team-ups, so I really liked Elseworld's Finest.