Monday, August 1, 2016

Superman On Supergirl Show


The internet semi-exploded late last week when the first look at Tyler Hoechlin's Superman suit for the Supergirl show was revealed. Here is the link:
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/07/28/first-look-supergirls-man-of-steel-suits-up

And then a ton of photos of Hoechlin filming in Vancouver in the suit hit the internet.

Now I am going to preface this post by saying that I didn't like the first look of the Flash costume when they revealed that and I think it looks good on the show. And I didn't like the first look of Melissa Benoist's costume (remember when it looked like super dark blue/almost black and brick red cape and boots). But that also looks fine on the show.

To be honest I don't have many complaints about the costume although I will nit pick a bit.

Instead, my biggest complaint in with Hoechlin. Not that he doesn't look like he could play Superman. Just that he is way way too young. These two look like they are contemporaries. He is supposed to be around 12 years older than her. This just doesn't jibe with the timeline.

I have to hope that somehow we get an explanation, even if it is comic book-y in its science.


As for the costume, the first thing that caught my eyes was how the shoulders are done. Between the over the shoulder cape and the gold trim, it really reminded me of Kara's 1980's look. I wonder if that was done on purpose. If only the costume people were available for a quick question.

I still miss the red trunks. The red belt is meaningless for the body suit. But I guess that is a quibble.

But I do like that he has the classic 'yellow shield'. It makes Supergirl's shield unique and her own.

The actual shots from the set made everything look better. I definitely like the one wisp/spit curl. This looks pretty Superman-ish.

That said, I am definitely not used to Jimmy Olsen towering over and out-hulking Superman.

I suppose I'll have to see how this all plays out. But for the most part I think the suit looks pretty good.

What are your thoughts?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"But I do like that he has the classic 'yellow shield'. It makes Supergirl's shield unique and her own."

That I can concur with you on. And I also get a Christopher Reeve vibe from it as well.

Anonymous said...

I doubt they could find an "age appropriate" actor with the right physique to play a fortyish Superman...still I think they could have made up Tyler to look older....c'est le vie, he is hardly gonna be a weekly character. All you die hard Superman fans out there don't get any big ideas about a spin off, Supergirl's quaint cousin has been in her shadow far too long, he doesn't have a popularity to carry his own series.
:)
:)

JF

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

Could be that they chose a younger Superman to distance the character away from the Superman of the films. Plus, I assume the target audience for the CW calls for younger actors.

Anonymous said...

> the first thing that caught my eyes was how the shoulders are done. Between the over the shoulder
> cape and the gold trim, it really reminded me of Kara's 1980's look. I wonder if that was done
> on purpose.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that noticed that. But agree with the full yellow background on the
crest as a differentiator to Supergirl's costume. Also riff's back to the "classic" Superman costume.
The belt I'm definately not hot on, because it seems to Batman Utility-Belt-ish.

Regarding the lack of the red trunks, I can't help but think back to SBFFs and the scene of Supergirl
giving Superman a wedgie! :D Nuff Seid!

I'll reserve final judgement for when he's finally on screen. I'm definately hopeful though that TPTB
treat the Supercousin's relationship right and with respect. To me, some scenes of them being AS A
FAMILY, and doing super and nonsuper things together would be great. Maybe even floating / flying
together, as has Supergirl and J'onn J'onzz did in Season 1.


Regards

Super Masked Banana said...

Glad I'm not the only person that misses the red trunks!
But yes, my only other gripe is that he really does seem too young. Looking forward to seeing the next season.

KET said...

"That said, I am definitely not used to Jimmy Olsen towering over and out-hulking Superman."

Actually, that's one physical aspect that I think I will like, since this disparity helps to mask Clark Kent's heroic self among normal people. Now it's more than just a pair of glasses that keeps the hero within hidden, which hearkens back to what James told Kara in episode two.


KET

Anonymous said...

Hey Anj! This is a little off-topic but I'm making a respect thread for Pre-crisis Supergirl! If you could think of any particularly outrageous examples of Supergirl's abilities that would be a big help and I would be extremely grateful.

Uncle Screensaver said...

I thought of Kara's 80's costume as well.

I think the age thing can be easily seen as years under a yellow sun as kept him from aging.

I disagree on the S-Shield. I think today people are afraid of the colour yellow - note all the black on Reverse-Flash, and so they took it away fearing it would look too cheesy. With Superman they decided to leave enough alone. If I'm wrong, I just think it makes Kara seem too dark - though with her Shield she'd be absorbing more yellow sun radiation as a result. But, why would a family crest differ from one son's family to another? Of course, it was never originally meant as a family crest, it was just an "S", so I should just learn to shut up already.

I miss the trunks also.