Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Boston Comic Con - Joe Quinones Commission


Next up on the commission hit parade from the Boston Comic Con 2010 is this great piece from Joe Quinones.

I first became enamored of Quinones' work on the Green Lantern strip in Wednesday Comics. There was really a nice retro feel to that strip which worked for the 'cold war' time frame of that story. I was also impressed with Quinones' ability to handle the different settings in that strip ... from air force base to happy hour in a bar to outer space battles. When I saw the advance solicits of his covers on Adventure Comics I knew I would want to try and grab a piece from him at the con.

He was a day two commission and I was lucky to get on his list.

I can tell that this is going to be one of my favorite pieces in my collection. For one, it is a very original pose and composition. Many of my commissions have a similar look to them ... Supergirl flying gracefully in the clouds or striking a classic heroic pose. So when an artist is struck somehow to do something a little different, it really resonates in the collection.

This is such a playful pose, Supergirl balancing a huge boulder or moon on one finger, sporting a half-smile. It really is fantastic. Add to that the shadowing over her face and hands as well as the splash of color (always a big deal in these convtention comminssions) and you have a really phenomenal piece. It stands out and grabs you. That is what good art should do.

I really feel lucky that the timing of these commissions worked out such that I was able to get Quinones my sketch book early on the second day and that he was able to get it done. I will definitely keep my eye out for his work in the future.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a great drawing. It's the 'matrix' costume and not the movie costume.

Too bad he didn't draw her feets but still, great.

Thank you for sharing !!

:D

Saranga said...

love it! love the face the pose the colours everything!

Anj said...

That's a great drawing. It's the 'matrix' costume and not the movie costume.

All my commissions are in the Matrix uniform, my favorite.

I am sure one day I'll post a gallery here. I just have to figure out the best way.

Diabolu Frank said...

Somehow, I like this one even more than the Rude, which was fantastic! Quinones has sort of an Amanda Conner/Adam Hughes thing going on that works great. It's good that you caught him early in his career, because I suspect this cat is going places. In a bit of synchronicity, I was writing today's post at the Idol-Head until three this morning, and posted it a few hours ago. It too is a full figure con sketch with a big splash of red, the only one I got at Comicpalooza.