Saturday, November 21, 2009

Dan Didio Talks Streaky!


Is it just me or does Supergirl get a lot of play on Dan Didio's Q&A sessions over on Newsarama? He has answered questions about Linda Danvers and Cosmic Adventures recently.

And then there was the most recent column: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091116-DiDio-10-Answers.html

1) ICleverMan wrote:
Yes, I am one of those freaks who adore the Legion of Super-Pets -- I own every appearance of each of them, including all Krypto stories.

Since Krypto's return has been such a success, what are the possibilities we can see reinterpretations of Streaky, Comet and even some variation of Beppo (totally discounting the Peter David attempt at Comet)?


Wow ... a question about Streaky! The little guy sure has been getting a lot of publicity recently! Here is Didio's answer.

DiDio: I never like to say never on anything, because there's always a writer who tends to surprise me. The funny part about Streaky is they showed Streaky in Wednesday Comics. Amanda Conner did a beautiful job with Streaky and Krypto in that book. And I think anybody would love the character except for the character's name, which always seems to get more giggles than anyone wanting to embrace the little kitty.

On Beppo, probably not. I think what happened is that, we start to get a little too deep. One or two of those characters is interesting to see, but I think once you get a little deeper into a list of characters, it starts to weaken the brands or weaken the franchise too much because it doesn't seem like you're taking yourself too seriously.

Because of Comet's origin and the way Comet was played, in the last incarnation of Supergirl, Peter David found an interesting way to make Comet work. But at this time, there's no particular plans to do that again.

I can understand the decision to exclude Beppo. And I like that again the Peter David Supergirl gets a shout out. I did think that PAD's Comet was a very interesting and unique character.

But Streaky has become something of a mainstay in the DCU. Yes he (there she) was a big star in Wednesday Comics.


But he also made his reappearance in the Supergirl title and was even in Final Crisis!

Streaky deserves to be a small part in the Supergirl world. I don't need him to don a cape and have powers, but I think he should be a pet for Kara.

I still can't believe that Didio talked Streaky!!

8 comments:

Saranga said...

Kara's still got Streaky tho hasn't she? He's been in quite a few issues, so i don't really understand ICleverMan's question.. unless he wants a more cosmic alien Streaky?

TalOs said...

No Comet or Beppo? Awww I liked 'em too. :)

Saranga said...

Kara's still got Streaky tho hasn't she? He's been in quite a few issues, so i don't really understand ICleverMan's question.. unless he wants a more cosmic alien Streaky?

I think he may be wanting back Pre-COIE E-1 incarnation of Streaky who accidentally got his Kryptonian like super powers upon being exposed to a certain Kryptonite if memory serves me right? :/

Saranga said...

Pre COIE Streaky wasn't actually Kryptonian?? Blimey, I learn a lot on this site. I won;t ask about Beppo.

One of these day I'll read pre crisis Kara.

Nikki said...

Beppo was Kryptonian
Comet was cursed by magic

I still think superkitty could work if they did it as an animal cruelty storyline

TalOs said...

Er, you want to see an animal cruelty storyline featured in Supergirl starring Streaky? :/

Anj said...

Kara's still got Streaky tho hasn't she? He's been in quite a few issues, so i don't really understand ICleverMan's question.. unless he wants a more cosmic alien Streaky?

She still has Streaky. Maybe he just wants more.

He also was talking about Comet as well.

I think we all want more Cosmic Adbetures Streaky.

Jason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
And-Ru said...

I LOVE Streaky!!

Kara may have a cat called Streaky at the moment but it's the wrong gender and lacks super powers. This needs to change!

Why does Didio think Streaky is a stupid name though? Does it mean something unsavoury in "American"?