Thursday, January 19, 2017

Supergirl #6 Bengal Variant - Superman #233 Homage - Edited


A couple of days ago, Steve Orlando tweeted out this pic (from Comicosity), the Bengal variant of Supergirl #6.

If you know me at all, you can imagine how over the moon I was at this image.

Everything about this works - the smile on Supergirl's face as she smashes these chains, the links flying everywhere, the power in this pose! It is just perfect.

And it is even more perfect because it is clearly an homage to one of my favorite comics of all time!



Back in late 1970, Superman #233 was on the rack. On the first issue of the Kryptonite Nevermore storyline which introduced the world to the Sand Superman, we see this classic Neal Adams image of Superman breaking Kryptonite chains.

Yes, Superman breaking chains has been around since the earliest Shuster/Siegel images, this is the image which seems to be seared into comic minds.

I love this story. I love Sand Superman. I love this cover.

And other people love it too! It has been homage plenty of times.


Last year, Jonboy Meyers did a version for a Supergirl #1 variant available only via ComicConBox.


Adams riffed on himself when the Superman #233 story was reprinted in Action Comics #485.


Adam Hughes did his take for Action Comics #900. I like how the links here fly to the foreground and are the numbers 900. Very nice. And the back lighting just works.



In one of the more unique riffs, Eduardo Risso did an homage for Superman #700.

I find this inky, shadowy version compelling.





Forgot to include this one on first publication!

You might recall that Supergirl enacted the pose in Landry Walker and Eric Jones Supergirl Cosmic Adventures in the Eighth Grade mini in the final issue!



Of course, no discussion of Superman #233 by me would be complete without showing off my issue signed by Neal Adams as well as Denny O'Neil and Murphy Anderson.

Thanks to Bengal for bringing that image to life for Supergirl.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some months ago I read "Kryptonite Nevermore" for first time. Great stuff. Whenever someone -typically people who have hardly read Pre-Crisis Superman stories- dismisses or disses Bronze Age Superman I think of this kind of stories, and I scoff at their statements.

Sometimes I wonder, what if readers would have embraced Schwartz's Superman? How would it have changed the course of Superman's history? And what would it have meant to Supergirl?

That change was doomed to failure, anyway. Attempts to depower Superman never stick. Byrne's reboot proved that.

Talking about Supergirl... Funny how Kara has been breaking chains since her second appearance! http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HBKWtrKbYAk/TOEGgwUyw_I/AAAAAAAAIZ0/ZAhYrnGwKZY/s1600/Action253_24.jpg

Some more examples come to my mind are Supergirl (Volume 5) #3 (although that issue was written by Jeph Loeb so let's not to dwell on it too long), Supergirl (Volume 6) #37 and the last issue of Cosmic Adventures (Take that, Mxyzptlk! HAH!).

Anyway... Supergirl and Streaky... Supergirl teaming up with Batgirl... Supergirl breaking chains... Bengal must really love the character. And that is a great cover.

Aaron said...

I'm looking forward to Supergirl #6. I look forward to the collected volume of this arc at the end of May, too. And the new arc in March looks really intriguing. I know crossover stories are inevitable, but I hope they give Supergirl her own space to really build her up and prove she can hold her own. Exciting times for the character.

SG Fan said...

I think that breaking chains image is such a classic Superman and now Super-Family image. Looking forward to the variant cover with Kara doing it. Almost wish they did something like that on the show, be awesome to see Melissa busting free like that.

Anonymous said...

"I know crossover stories are inevitable, but I hope they give Supergirl her own space to really build her up and prove she can hold her own."

By contrast, I'm looking forward to it. I'm sick of seeing Kara isolated from the rest of DC Universe, and I was thrilled when I found out that she would make an appearance in the Batgirl Annual and that story would lead to both cousins finally meeting.

Personally I think she should appear on an ongoing basis in the Superman core books, make guest appearances in the Batman, Wonder Woman and Teen Titans books (because I miss her being friends with Batgirl, Spoiler and Wonder Girl) and be a JL member. I think it would be a decent, non-excesive level of exposure without becoming annoying overexposure.

Aaron said...

"By contrast, I'm looking forward to it. I'm sick of seeing Kara isolated from the rest of DC Universe."

You do raise a very good point there! And yes, I'd also like to see Kara and Batgirl sharing some pages together in the rebirth run.

"I think that breaking chains image is such a classic Superman and now Super-Family image. Looking forward to the variant cover with Kara doing it. Almost wish they did something like that on the show, be awesome to see Melissa busting free like that."

Wasn't there a scene like this where Supergirl broke free of the Master Jailer's chains during an episode in the first season of the show? I don't remember clearly. Though I'm sure it wasn't exactly 'epic.' I thought that episode was rather weak (apart from James's speech to Kara about doing the right thing about Maxwell Lord, I thought that was very cool).

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Anj, and thanks for sharing the many twists and interpretations of that cover. Great image!
And can't second the comments that a) Supergirl needs to be shown more in the mainstream DC universe, and
b) would be great to do this sort of image in the TV series!

Counting down to next week Monday and the return of Kousin Kara to the airwaves. I can hardly wait!


Regards

Anonymous said...

"I think that breaking chains image is such a classic Superman and now Super-Family image."

It's like them saving a flying aircraft. It's -probably- overused because it always looks cool.