Thursday, January 5, 2017

March 2016 Solicits


The March solicits for DC Comics were released earlier this month and as usual there were a couple of surprises and some interesting things to mull over. I have to say, I am very excited for March not only for the Supergirl stuff but also the Superman stuff. It seems as if things might be coming to a head with the summer peeking around the corner when these issues come out.

While I'll be looking forward to the super-books, here is a link to look over all the solicits:
http://www.newsarama.com/32436-dc-comics-march-2017-solicitations.html



SUPERGIRL #7
Written by STEVE ORLANDO
Art by MATIAS BERGARA
Cover by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO
Variant cover by BENGAL
“Mission Mind”! Supergirl’s powers mean nothing when she’s trapped inside the consciousness of a killer. Creeping through the mind of a Kryptonian monster, Supergirl finds herself on a suicide mission to return Lar-On to sanity inside the D.E.O.


This seems like a great concept. Supergirl in Lar-On's mind trying to help his madness. These sort of Dreamscape stories give the creators a lot of liberty which should make this interesting.

I don't know Matias Bergara's art at all so I look forward to see what he brings to the book!

And there are more books!


DC COMICS BOMBSHELLS #23
Written by MARGUERITE BENNETT
Art by MATIAS BERGARA, LAURA BRAGA and MIRKA ANDOLFO
Cover by MARGUERITE SAUVAGE
Wonder Woman is back! Take a quick trip to Themyscira where Wonder Woman and Supergirl are mourning the loss of Stargirl. Then, it’s back to the action in Zambesi as Wonder Woman crashes into the fight between the Bombshells and Cheetah, who’s leading the mechanical gods!

DC COMICS BOMBSHELLS #24
Written by MARGUERITE BENNETT
Art by LAURA BRAGA and RICHARD ORTIZ
Cover by ANT LUCIA
It’s queens vs. cheetahs vs. double agents and Bombshells in this all-out battle! Hawkgirl makes the ultimate sacrifice as she directly connects to one of the mechanical gods!


It only has taken a year but it seems like Diana and Kara are back in the Bombshells book. And just in time because I read the book for them. The concentration on the other characters, including major time spent on the Batgirls on the homefront, has dimmed my excitement about the book.

But I don't know if the cover mirrors the solicit. Can Diana and Kara really be mourning their colleague if they are sunning themselves on the Themyscirian beach? I hope this is a winner because I want to love this book again.


BATGIRL ANNUAL #1
Written by HOPE LARSON
Art by INAKI MIRANDA
Cover by BENGAL
Batgirl and Supergirl must team up to break into Arkham Asylum! In this all-new Rebirth annual Batgirl must seek Supergirl’s help to solve a mystery that leads them to the heart of the most insane insane asylum there is! But what they discover—and who they discover—in Arkham will lead to a much, much bigger story!


The surprise of the month! And with such a gorgeous cover!!!

That's right, the other World's Finest team ... together again for the first time!!

I love the concept of the two going into Arkham. I immediately though of one of my favorite issues of the last several years. I really really really hope that these two become fast friends.



SUPERMAN #18
Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON
Art and cover by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY
Variant cover by GARY FRANK
“SUPERMAN REBORN” part one! In DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH #1, the enigmatic Mr. Oz told this Superman, “You and your family are not what you believe you are. And neither was the fallen Superman.” Now, in the first Rebirth crossover between SUPERMAN and ACTION COMICS, the shocking truth behind Oz’s words is revealed. It begins with one of Oz’s prisoners escaping, and ends in a tragic moment for Lois and Superman.


Now we get to the real exciting part of the solicits. It looks like we will finally getting to the crux of the Mr. Oz mystery. We have been waiting for this since #Rebirth! I figured the 'fight against Dr. Manhatten' is going to be the summer crossover. So maybe Oz isn't Manhatten?

I assume the tragedy is going to be the death of the neighbor. Fantastic.


ACTION COMICS #975
Written by DAN JURGENS
Backup story written by PAUL DINI
Art by DOUG MAHNKE and JAIME MENDOZA
Backup story art by IAN CHURCHILL
Cover by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY
Variant cover by GARY FRANK
“SUPERMAN REBORN” part two! Celebrating our 975th issue with a supersize special as another layer of the Superman/Clark Kent mystery is exposed! And in a backup story written by Paul Dini with art by Ian Churchill, learn what it all means for the Son of Superman, who is the prize in a deadly game!


And perhaps we get the answer to the Clark mystery as well.

No mistaking that S-shield, the dripping blood of the Superman #75 . But I don't think it adds any clue to who he is. And Paul Dini too! Huzzah!



SUPERMAN #19
Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON
Art and cover by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY
Variant cover by GARY FRANK
“SUPERMAN REBORN” part three! In the penultimate chapter of this tale the life of Superman’s son hangs in the balance—and the Man of Steel faces the truth about his life!


I see those mummy wraps Mr. Oz! If he turns out to be the Time Trapper, I'll cry. I don't want that at all. 

Who is Oz? Still thinking it is Vyndktvyx. But maybe a depowered Osterman is higher on the list. Perhaps his skin is scarred from the intrinsic field accident from Watchmen?  But the cloak and bandages also make me think of Professor Xa-Du!



ACTION COMICS #976
Written by DAN JURGENS
Art by DOUG MAHNKE and JAIME MENDOZA
Cover by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY
Variant cover by GARY FRANK
“SUPERMAN REBORN” finale! As this epic tale wraps up, Superman’s life is drastically changed...and that’s all we are saying for now—except that you won’t want to miss it!


Does this mean the return of the New 52 Superman? A Superman Red/Blue event? A hint that there was one Superman split somehow? And those colors looks suspiciously like the colors the Superwoman characters have sported. Hmmm ....

Anyways, I am very excited about Superman Reborn. 



SUPERWOMAN #8
Written by PHIL JIMENEZ
Art by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO and RAY McCARTHY
Cover by YASMINE PUTRI
Variant cover by RENATO GUEDES
“By a Thread”! The super-family rallies around Superwoman as the reason her powers are killing her is revealed, as are her connections to New 52 Superman! The events of “Superman Reborn” will greatly impact the future of Metropolis’ newest hero!


 A reveal about her powers! Lois standing over her like a guardian angel (guess she doesn't come back). So cool!

I figured Reborn would effect things, especially given the colors of the two Supermen on the last issue. I wonder how this will all play out.

But I am most excited to see some Renato Guedes art again. I love his stuff. 



NEW SUPER-MAN #9
Written by GENE LUEN YANG
Art and cover by VIKTOR BOGDANOVIC
Variant cover by BERNARD CHANG
“COMING TO AMERICA” part one! The New Super-Man is coming to Metropolis! Our young hero’s newfound fame has attracted the attention of the last person he would have wanted: Lex Luthor! Now, Lex is going to take Kenan on a mission to track down a mystery villain stalking Lexcorp—and if the pair want to find the culprit, they’ll have to go through the Chinese Triad gang! But trouble in Metropolis means catching the attention of the Man of Steel…


Luthor working with Kenan? What could go wrong? What could go right??

I wondered if the person behind was the Chinese JLA Flash analogue. But I suppose it might be part of this Chinese Triad gang. 

And I would love to see how Kenan responds to the America and fame here! 



SUPER SONS #2
Written by PETER J. TOMASI
Art and cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
Variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN
“When I Grow Up” part two! Robin and Superboy—in the clutches of Lex Luthor! The boys are in big trouble! How exactly are they supposed to explain what’s happened to Superman and Batman? Plus, Kid Amazo’s power grows, and this tyrant in the making is about to make life miserable for the Super Sons!

 
Boy Luthor is everywhere. 

I get the sense this is going to be the most fun book of the month. Kid Amazo?? Fantastic!



SUPER POWERS #5
Written by ART BALTAZAR and FRANCO
Art and cover by ART BALTAZAR
The Legion of Doom’s ultimate threat has been revealed—and Superman’s family is in jeopardy! Will this new threat be the end of our Justice League heroes? Guest-starring Firestorm, Hawkman and more! But wait, that’s not all!
Prepare yourself for the moment when…Apokolypse attacks!


I am glad DC keeps giving us All Ages books to stoke the fires of the youth!

Sounds like a great month to be a Super-fan! 
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently DC has listened to the complaints about Brian Ching's art. I hope Matias Bergara art is good. Anyway, it's always great when Lupacchino draws Kara.

I also hope we finally see Kara completely integrated in the DC universe.

"I love the concept of the two going into Arkham. I immediately though of one of my favorite issues of the last several years. I really really really hope that these two become fast friends."

Me too. After all, Supergirl and Bargirl are super best friends forever...

It's remarkable that SG and BG ALWAYS are good friends, unlike their male, older counterparts.

I want to see Kara hanging out with Babs, Steph, Donna and Cassie. Why will you not give me that, DC?

Regarding the "Superman Reborn" event I think New 52 Superman will merge with Pre-Flashpoint Superman.

Anyway, if Kara doesn't turn up in Action Comics #975 I'll be annoyed. You would think an important supporting character would not miss an important anniversary issue, but Supergirl is often ignored or treated like a nuissance.

Martin Gray said...

I'm fine with Supergirl not turning up in the anniversary Action Comics, it's not like a tradition and I don't think she has the relationship with the Kent family to warrant it - which isn't to say - heck, I've said it here previously - that I'm not dying to see her develop into Jon's Aunt Kara - just imagine her babysitting Jon and Damo.

Which neighbour are you thinking dies, the creepy old man or cute Kathy? I think she's a robot, anyway.

I really hope the Supermen don't merge, to me they're both Superman, and deserve independent lives - and how creepy would it be for Lois is half her husband is suddenly another guy, in a sense?

Anonymous said...

"I'm fine with Supergirl not turning up in the anniversary Action Comics, it's not like a tradition and I don't think she has the relationship with the Kent family to warrant it"

I know that, but... It only feels like another show of contempt towards the character and her fans: "Anniversary issue coming, we need a great life-exploring story featuring the Man of Steel and his main supporting characters: Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, Lana Lang, the Kents, Lex Luthor..." "What about Supergirl?" "Pfff... Gender-swapped Superman? Forget about Miss Derivative, it is not like she is a legit, developed character or she was ever important to Superman or the mythos! Why do you believe we got rid of her back in 1985? Lana or Krypto are more relevant than her!"

I'm sorry If I seem obsessed or paranoiad... but this is what it feels like to me.

"I really hope the Supermen don't merge, to me they're both Superman, and deserve independent lives - and how creepy would it be for Lois is half her husband is suddenly another guy, in a sense?"

Technically they are the same person, since the Post-Crisis and Post-Flashpoint worlds are the same, and the older Superman was ripped from his timeline before the universe was altered and he became his younger, Post-Flashpoint self.

...

Aaand thinking about the time paradox is giving me a headache. Great.

Anyway, I think it would be a way to get the Flashpoint Superman back while the Post-Crisis Superman remains the main Superman. And keeping both Supermen around may be more confusing than keeping SG and PG in the same universe.

Or so I think.

Anonymous said...

I loved Bombshells #67 so I have high hopes for Bergara doing Supergirl justice. It will be interesting to see if he does a Bombshell reprisal of her looks or if he will make her younger in line with Chings interpretation.

Anonymous said...

My jaw dropped and I couldn't stop drooling when I saw Batgirl Annual #1 in the upcoming issues. And yes, Supergirl/Batgirl BFFs!!

Regards

Anonymous said...

I'm both really looking forward to Superman Reborn and kind of nervous about it at the same time too. As it's been mentioned in the comments, it would be weird if New 52 Superman and Rebirth Superman merged so the version that is married to Lois Lane also remembers dating Wonder Woman. If they do merge, I hope it's a Piccolo-Kami style fusion from Dragon Ball Z where the older Superman retains most of the memories.

Louis