Saturday, November 2, 2013

Yildiray Cinar Supergirl 'Kryptonite Nevermore'


We have finished the Michael Alan Nelson era on Supergirl. We have to get through Scott Lobdell's Krypton Returns. But then we get Tony Bedard and Yildiray Cinar on the title. And from the sounds of it, Supergirl will be more optimistic and happy.

As if to stoke the fires of anticipation, Yildiray Cinar posted a Supergirl picture he did 'just for fun'. He posted it on his site: http://www.yildiraycinar.net/2013/10/supergirl.html

What a great picture. Supergirl smiling, almost laughing, as she shatters the chains around her. Now there is part of me that thinks of this as some form of catharsis, Kara shedding the horror and darkness and anger and angst that has bound her and held her back in the new 52.


 I mean, have we seen Supergirl look like this at any time during the first 2 years of her title? Maybe when she ate pizza?

Of course she is happier now!


Now I know I am thinking way to metatextually. My guess is Cinar was just riffing of the famous 'Superman snapping chains' motif. But even Superman doesn't look as joyous as Supergirl is above. That just feels like Supergirl.

December and Supergirl #26 can't come soon enough!

6 comments:

AndNowInStereo said...

I love that sketch! Cinar seems excited to be on the book, and based on what I've seen of his style, like his parts of Batman/Superman for example, I think he'll be great. So I'm optimistic.

Here's some of his pencils he's tweeted, you've probably seen them already but in case visitors to your blog have not:

"Getting angry" http://instagram.com/p/f-8KoplWyp/

"Kara worried" https://twitter.com/ycinar/status/391671150490972160/photo/1

"One second..." http://instagram.com/p/f8W2P2FW50/ (I assume that's Lobo's hand there)

valerie21601 said...

Sadly I'll believe when I see it when it comes to DC allowing Kara to be a happy life loving character again.

GettinJiggly said...

I loved this picture when I featured it in my deviantArt picks. Can't wait to see him on the book.

DR said...

If I wasn't familiar with her outfit, I'd think she was wearing a half top and a crotch-shield on a string.

mhr said...

I once did something similar.. maybe I should updated one day..

http://mhunt.deviantart.com/art/Breaking-free-commission-173900365

Anj said...

Thanks for all the comments.

Thanks for the extra links Thomas. Stuff looks great!

I agree DR that the uninformed might think this is a bikini of sorts.

And thanks for your take on it mhr! Always like seeing your commissions.