Saturday, November 23, 2013

February 2014 Solicits


So many reviews recently means my coverage of February solicits is late. Sorry.

February is usually the toughest month for me to get through. It's dark and cold when I get up to go to work. It's dark and cold when I leave work. And work is usually busy busy busy. It is February when I hope that comics will lend me a little escape to a brighter sunnier place.

I guess that won't happen this year.

The DC Comics February 2014 solicits are out and it looks like things will be even darker and colder. Here is a link to Newsarama's coverage http://www.newsarama.com/19538-dc-comics-february-2014-solicitations.html

And here are some relevant comics being released.

GREEN LANTERN/RED LANTERNS #28
Written by ROBERT VENDITTI and CHARLES SOULE
Art by BILLY TAN and ALESSANDRO VITTI
GREEN LANTERN Cover by BILLY TAN
RED LANTERNS Cover by STEPHEN SEGOVIA

Don’t miss this amazing flip-issue with two covers at a special price of just $2.99! This DOUBLE ISSUE contains both GREEN LANTERN #28 and RED LANTERNS #28! With dozens of sectors in open rebellion against the Green Lantern Corps, Hal Jordan is faced with a crisis in the sector most important to him: 2814, home of Earth…as well as Ysmault, home of the Red Lanterns. Hal made a dangerous bargain with Guy Gardner, and now it’s time to pay up! Plus: Guy and the Red Lanterns take over policing Sector 2814! And you’ll want to keep reading RED LANTERNS next month to see what happens to their newest member: SUPERGIRL!

Well I have discussed this direction already and how I think it is a pretty bad idea for Supergirl. I can only hope that Charles Soule and Tony Bedard have some sort of long-term plan to have Supergirl eventually reject the rage and hate and embrace hope and compassion. Maybe I should put long-term in quotes. It's been 2+ years of this dark path. I need some hope and light and goodness and optimism from Kara ... and soon.

I mean .. a cover with Supergirl dripping with blood and screaming. It pains me to look at.


SUPERGIRL #28
Written by TONY BEDARD
Art by YILDIRAY CINAR and RAY McCARTHY
Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI and CAM SMITH

A RED LANTERN RING is coming to get Kara — and it will change her forever! No lie! Not an imaginary story! It’s really going to happen! “Red Daughter of Krypton” starts here!

Remember when Tony Bedard came out and said how much he likes Kara and wanted to make her likable again. Where did all that go?

I suppose right now Charles Soule probably wields a little more clout than Bedard. And it seems this Red Lantern Supergirl was Soule's idea. I can only hope that Bedard lives up to his promises.

And I think the solicit is amusing. As if we, as fans who have read the adventures of this bitter, angry, isolated Supergirl for 2+ years, would somehow be surprised and shocked to see her wield a red ring. 'No lie! Not an imaginary tale!' ... of course not. More like par for the course.

Now a solicit that said 'Kara puts the tragedy in her life behind her and claims Earth as her new home, one she will defend!' ... now that would shock me!


ACTION COMICS #28
Written by GREG PAK
Art and cover by AARON KUDER
1:25 Steampunk variant cover by DAVE JOHNSON

Who or what is the Ghost Soldier, and what mysterious ties does he have to The Man of Steel? Will he side with Superman as he is caught in the middle of the military’s battle with subterranean monsters?

These solicits keep getting briefer and briefer. And the covers keep getting more and more generic.

Still, I trust Pak and Kuder. I hope the 'Ghost Soldier' isn't simply a Wraith knock off. It would be interesting if it was some sort of Captain America analogue.


SUPERMAN #28
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art and cover by ED BENES
1:25 Steampunk variant cover by JEFF WAMESTER

A mysterious and powerful figure seeks The Man of Steel to join her against a threat coming to Earth. Plus: Sam Lane ascends to power, which makes him an even more formidable opponent for Superman.

Another short solicit with a generic cover.

I have pretty much had it with Lobdell but the idea of a female powerful figure makes me wonder if Maxima is coming.

This cover seems a little rough for Ed Benes. I wonder if his style has changed.


SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #7
Written by SCOTT SNYDER
Art and cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS

It’s a rampage in the Batcave! It’s come to this: Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman against Wraith! Alone, they wouldn’t have a chance – but they don’t have much of one together, either! And all the while, Lex Luthor’s machinations are clicking into place…

Now this book I am very interested in reading if only to try to plug the story into some sort of time continuity. Are Superman and Diana dating? Flirting? When does this story happen?

Looks like this is the brawl before the finale. I have to figure that the Anti-Clark weapon that Bruce made and stored in the cave in an earlier issue is finally brought to bear.

SUPERBOY #28
Written by MARV WOLFMAN
Art by ANDRES GUINALDO and MARK IRWIN
Cover by RAFAEL SANDOVAL and NORM RAPMUND

Superboy and his new team of unstable teen powerhouses must return to the present-day DC Universe to make sure Jon Lane Kent lives to see his plans come to fruition!

It's Jon Lane Kent! No ... it's Kon! No ... it's both!

I still won't be back.

But what does scare me are the 'unstable teen powerhouses' from the future. Is this an 'edgy' Legion. I mean it could be Rok, Garth, and Imra. Lightning eyes are a clue.

Supergirl as a Red Lantern and a dark Legion ... all in the same month! It might be too much to bear!

BATMAN/SUPERMAN #8
Written by GREG PAK
Art and cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT

The Worlds’ Finest teams of two worlds meet at last in chapter 1 of “First Contact”! With Power Girl’s abilities on the fritz, see what happens when her long-lost cousin Superman approaches her! And a major threat returns in a way you won’t believe! Continues in this month’s WORLDS’ FINEST #8.

On the other hand, this looks like a great little crossover.

Knowing how Karen was inspired by her Clark, how much she loved him, I am hoping I might get a wee bit of super-cousins camaraderie here. I still think it should be Kara but that clearly isn't going to happen.

And Helena meeting Bruce!

I am trusting Pak to do the right thing here! 


WORLDS’ FINEST #20
Written by PAUL LEVITZ
Art by R.B. SILVA and JOE WEEMS
Cover by EMANUALA LUPACCHINO

Power Girl and Huntress come face to face with the Superman and Batman of the DC Universe for the first time in chapter 2 of “First Contact”! Continues in next month’s BATMAN/SUPERMAN #9!

And while I have had some issues with Levitz' pacing in Worlds' Finest, he was a dyed-in-the-wool Kara fan. So I bet he will handle to Karen/Clark relationship the right way.  Great cover by Lupacchino!



SUPERMAN: LOIS LANE #1
Written by MARGUERITE BENNETT
Art by EMANUELLA LUPACCHINO
Cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT

Lois Lane is known for chasing down stories — but what happens when the story is her family? As her father gains more power in the government, Lois’s sister Lucy has become involved with a deadly drug scene! Meanwhile, Lois thought she was rid of the influence of Brainiac, but now she finds that the the computer tyrant of Colu is calling out to her again!

I wrote about his before! Hurrah! Can't wait to read this!



SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #5
Written by CHARLES SOULE
Art and cover by TONY S. DANIEL and BATT

Faora has joined Zod – and now, Earth must kneel before their combined might! Even Superman and Wonder Woman can’t stop their plan for the Phantom Zone!

I don't know if I am quite ready to see the Phantom Zone villains in the New 52 DCU but here they are.


ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #10
Written by JOSH ELDER and DEREK FRIDOLFS
Art by VICTOR IBANEZ and SEAN “CHEEKS” GALLOWAY
Cover by SEAN “CHEEKS” GALLOWAY

In “Dear Superman,” Superman’s #1 fan watches from afar as the Last Son of Krypton battles an upgraded Metallo in the streets of Metropolis! And “In Care of,” illustrated by Sean “Cheeks” Galloway, introduces a young boy who needs Superman’s help to defeat a monster!

While the mainstream DCU super-titles are for the most part dark, the alt-Super titles remain gold, glittering in murk of the New 52.

Adventures of Superman has been a treat. I can't wait to see a whole story by Cheeks Galloway. I loved his Teen Titans in Wednesday Comics. Both stories sound like delicious throwbacks to the Silver or Bronze Age.


SMALLVILLE SEASON 11: ALIEN #3
Written by BRYAN Q. MILLER
Art by EDGAR SALAZAR, DYM and ROB LEAN
Cover by CAT STAGGS

Lex Luthor is determined to bring the Monitor to his knees, but the fight isn’t going his way—even Superman is having trouble with the alien interloper. Meanwhile, back in the USA, Chloe and Lois take a trip to Gotham City to check on a death so mysterious, Batman is having trouble figuring it out!

And then the best solicit mostly because we finally see a Monitor in Smallville. Bring on the Crisis!!!!

Loving this book!

So, we'll see how this all plays out!



 

12 comments:

AndNowInStereo said...

I think the Camuncoli/Smith cover for Supergirl 28 is actually pretty good, as much as we wish this wasn't happening. It definitely has an impact - it's almost terrifying. I think the RL 28 cover is a lot worse by comparison, it feels a bit sloppy to me, especially all three faces. Oh well. Also the actual solicit wording for SG 28 is stupid. Who writes these things? I'm still very much anticipating Bedard's Supergirl #26 next month. And having read Soule's RL issues I like it more than I thought I would, so they both get a chance to convince me this is a good idea. They just have to deliver in spades.

I'm not reading either Batman/Superman or Worlds' Finest but I'm strongly inclined to pick up both of them for this crossover as well as the B/S annuals. I've been very underwhelmed by WF but this looks like it could be good. I do wish Rocafort didn't keep making me so ambivalent about his art.

Also, imagine the scene:
Superman: "So you didn't tell anyone you were here? Why didn't you come to us?"
Helena: "Well we did encounter Damian..."
Batman: (sad)
Karen: "And I met your actual cousin a few months ago! Did she not tell you? You HAVE been looking after her, right? Where is she anyway?"
Superman: Er...

Jay said...

Anj, it could be the Legion of Supervillains on that Superboy cover. Cosmic King, Lightning Lord and Saturn Queen. It would make sense considering Jon is basically a villainous analogue of Kon anyway.

Could also be an interesting way of reintroducing the Prime Earth Legion for when Kon returns (seems obvious to me he will eventually). Kon and the LOSH vs Jon and the LOSV.

Count Drunkula said...

Thomas - I nearly laughed out loud at your dialogue. Then my heart grew cold.

Gene said...

2014 will be the 55th anniversary of Supergirl and the 30th anniversary of Helen Slater's epic portayal. It would be nice if DC acknowledged that in someway this coming year.

Anj said...

Thanks for the comments.

Thomas - that dialogue, sadly, would be true. It would be odd for this Superman to be closer to Power Girl than his 'universal' cousin.

Jay - I wouldn't mind it being the LSV! That is a brilliant thought. And much less pessimistic.

Gene - I doubt they'll celebrate but it would be nice.

elknight20 said...

Anyone else thinking that World's Finest #20 cover might be a homage to this?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GPB53-x5yww/TfU6rkvRgTI/AAAAAAAABjM/jooQYpHGkcQ/s1600/POWERGIRL.JPG

For the Superman/Wonder Woman cover...

Is Superman punching/grasping at Faora's boob, there?

Smallville Season 11's Alien cover reminds me of this promo piece from Lois & Clark:

http://www.supermansupersite.com/dean.jpg

Everything else looks ok, though!

Looking forwards to the Lois Lane one-shot.

Hope it'll be an on-going.

:)

elknight20 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elknight20 said...

P.s. Copy & paste the link to your address bar, then click enter.

I don't know why those links aren't working *as* links, themselves, up there.
:(

Anonymous said...

That Supergirl as a Red Lantern cover is pretty much the culmination of two full years of relentless willful "Character Abuse".
Its also grotesque to look at....I don't understand what DC's sales plan is if it revolves around alienating the core readership. They have been relentlessly brutalizing the character for two full years and the sales have done nothing except plummet and their answer to the creative hole they have dug themselves to to literally double down on all of it.
I have no answers for any of this, I need to take a long hard look if continuing to buy this book makes me an accomplice in something that repels me on a visceral level.

JF

Martin Gray said...

I wouldn't characterise the main Superman book covers as 'generic' - to me they're mythic; I do love a nice bit of logo crushing.

The Supergirl covers, though, are simply vile. I just wish DC would cancel the book and start again with a character who could inspire use with her love of life.

Anj said...

They look mythic Mart but I have no idea what is happening inside!

Pretty though.

Anonymous said...

don't worry anj the red lantern supergirl won't last long bedard says so you can even read his interview about it here http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=49362