Saturday, August 18, 2012

Off To ComiConn


By the time this is posted I will be an hour into a long drive down Interstate 95 South on my way to ComiCONN.



I haven't been to this convention before so I will post about it next week. The guest list isn't long but as I have said before it includes several Supergirl creators - Paul Kupperberg, Peter David, and Joe Kelly. It also includes Robert Greenberger (responsible for the Superman Encyclopedia), Jerry Ordway (inker for the bulk of Crisis on Infinite Earths ... and too many other things), and Mike DeCarlo.

As great as it will be to meet those guys, I am also excited to check out this con because it will be all new dealers.

As for commissions, I don't know if I will be lucky enough to get one this time around. We'll see!

4 comments:

Diabolu Frank said...

I get an envious chuckle out of you North-easterners with a convention in each state, all within driving distance. Dallas alone would be 4-5 hours one way, so when an artist thinks I mean a trip to Austin for their next show, I'm like "sucka please, I meant your next Bayou City visit." My reticence is shared by dealers, as it seemed like everyone at Space City Comic Con was at Comicpalooza. I wish we got inkers down here, as I have a fading Kevin Maguire sketch in need of their skills. I'd probably hit up Ordway for an original, but DeCarlo would be an excellent embellisher. Two shows in one year really tapped me out though, so I can see your hesitation in committing to any more commissions.

Anj said...

I have to say that things have improved in the New England area greatly over the last decade or so.
I do feel lucky.

I'll do a recap of the con sometime soon. But it was a fun time.

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

What I'm always curious about is the dimensions of the con, as I've never been anywhere but Chicago (then Wizard World) Comic-con.

Was it smallish, squarish? Was there a decent artist's alley? Who was more prominent of the companies? One year, Tokyopop was much bigger than DC or Marvel in the way of floor space and huge banners.

Of course, even living here in Chicago, I want to go to the San Diego Comic-Con one year.

Anj said...

It is a small con. No publishers were present.

The dealer room was a standard hotel conference room filled with table. The guests were in side rooms and hallways.

But it was a great con. I'll have a report up soon!