Thursday, August 30, 2012

Chris Giarrusso Commission


I did an overall review of the ComiCONN last week, saying what a great convention it was.

As I had said in my pre-con report, I wasn't necessarily heading there thinking of getting commissions. But once at the con, things changed.

I had known that Chris Giarrusso was going to be at the con and I had read many of his Mini-Marvel strips in the back pages of some Marvel All Ages books I got the supergirls at home. They work much like Tiny Titans did for DC, poking fun at continuity in a way that both older fans and kids can enjoy. He also has his own comic G-Man. Here is a link to his website: http://www.chrisgcomics.com/

As for me, when it comes to commissions, the artists I go for fall into three categories - people who have a history with Supergirl, people whose art I love, and people who might have an interesting take on the character. Sometimes artists fall into more than one category.

Giarrusso falls into the latter two buckets. I have enjoyed his strips with my kids and like his art a lot. I also thought he would have an interesting take on the character and I wasn't disappointed. What a fun commission this is. Something that I really liked about this take on Supergirl ... she is wearing leggings, giving her a sort of Cosmic Adventures-like feel to Kara.

So this was another little treasure from the ComiCONN. Look forward to heading to this convention moving forward!

5 comments:

Gene said...

That is just adorable!

Diabolu Frank said...

Dig it!

Anj said...

Giarrusso was a real nice guy. And very affordable.

Maybe a M'Gann from him?

Diabolu Frank said...

Probably not, although I do need to get a M'gann commission by 2013. I'd go against the grain with Giarrusso by having him do a super cute version of somebody abhorrent.

Kim said...

That looks a lot like the DC One Million Supergirl. You know, the one with unlimited power.