I have been collecting comics for about 50 years now. Hard for me to wrap my head around that number. There have been times, looking at the long boxes in the comic room, that I have wondered if the time was right to stop collecting current comics, stop hitting the store on Wednesdays, and just relax and read all the old comics I own over again. Is it time to stop.
And then comics like Superman #40 come out and it reminds me all over why I love these characters, these books, and arcs like this Superboy Prime one. This whole arc has been jaw-dropping excellent for all sorts of reasons. Writer Josh Williamson has done the impossible making me like Prime. I have loved this redemption of his character. I have loved Prime's commentary on comic books in general. In this issue, Williamson shows he either is one of us fans or knows us well, commenting on comic book fandom as well. But on top of all that, there are speeches in this book that talk about an inspiring Superman, about hope springing eternal, and about being a hero. Pitch perfect.
On top of all that, we have had Dan Mora on art the whole time, riffing different comic styles, bringing the action, and utilizing the fourth-wall-breaking to bring in old comics and covers. I have said in the past that Mora's art is so fantastic that every time he draws a character I want to see Mora on that character's title. Who knew I would want a Witchfire comic this bad.
So I can revisit it easily I might buy this arc when it comes out in trade format, something I haven't done in a long time.
I loved a Superboy Prime story so much I am going to buy the trade. Give Josh Williamson all the awards right now. Let's dive in.
Manchester Black, still a spirit haunting Superboy's mind, is hoping to learn all of the continuity secrets Prime's mind has. After all, what could be cooler than seeing other timelines play out. (Love that Black is wearing a 'death of Superman' t-shirt.)
We start right out with Prime saying things I would say. Those are Elseworlds. And Black's ideas for new stories are grimdark for grimdark sake, something maybe Prime's stories were in the past.
Prime decides that the best place to fight Black is not in the mindscape but in the 'real world' of Earth-0, specifically in the place he feels safest ... the comic book store. (That alone is amazing.)
But look at this conversation between owner and a fan complaining about a character turn in a recent book. 'I like growth and arcs and stuff' as long as nothing changes. Yes, meta-commentary for sure. I don't mind new directions if they work (looking at Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Moore's Swamp Thing, and even Peter David's Supergirl). But if they don't work and they go against continuity (let's say like having Supergirl be overwhelmingly depressed and drunk, or Supergirl overwhelmingly angry and sullen, or Supergirl ....), I am like that fan.
Anyways, I felt a little represented here too, in a way.
A brawl happens in the store.
And Williamson adds more meta-commentary talking directly to us.
Some of us have felt like Prime is a mirror in this book, they way Prime has geeked out over being in the DCU, and the way he talks about lore.
Some readers out there probably still hate Prime for all the things he has done in his history and want to see him suffer.
I just can't say how much Williamson is just firing on all cylinders here bringing me literally into the story.
What better way to fight Black than to slam a full long box into his head.
But more commentary.
I love that Black hates comic books. He is a villain after all!
I love that Black hates comic books. He is a villain after all!
And I love that he calls it a product of a bygone era. We have been hearing about how the comic industry is dying for about 30 years. We might be closer to that than we think.
But having Black rip a comic in half! That is the act of a super-villain.
I haven't liked Prime since Infinite Crisis ... until this arc. Now I kind of love this guy. Look at this speech.
How could anyone be upset about a world where there is a Superman!
And yes, there are some of us out here who feel Superman is real in our hearts, who try to be a better person because of the inspiration of Superman.
This whole speech gave me chills! Chills!
This is why I keep reading comics.
Black needs to be defeated. And the best way to do that, especially if Black wants all of Prime's knowledge, is to give it all to him. All of it.
All that continuity drives Black mad, makes him catatonic.
Now Black knows how I feel. What is in continuity and what isn't? Did Infinite Crisis happen? Did this Prime kill people? Did the New 52 wipe the slate clean? Did Rebirth bring it all back?
Maddening.
Hilarious.
Mr. Terrific berates Prime for giving Black all that knowledge even if it defeated him. Prime is crestfallen. He asks Lois if she could send Power Girl his way.
And then another great speech from Prime.
He wanted a redemption arc and he thought he could do it just by being a hero and ignoring what he had done, ignoring continuity. But instead he needs to recognize his past. He needs to ask for forgiveness for what he did to be redeemed.
That's why he needed to see Power Girl. And maybe Conner.
But Witchfire picks him up.
Life is like comic books. Every Wednesday is a new chance. Every month is an opportunity.
That is pure gold.
But wait, there's more.
We get one last fourth wall busting segment where Prime talks directly to us, thanking us for joining him for the ride and letting us know (almost) that he'll be around next year ...
Please, please, please DC ... give Williamson a monthly Prime book with a great artist. TAKE MY MONEY!
He is interrupted by Kara who asks him to join the team she is forming for a mission to El Caldero. And yes that means Prime meeting Conner.
Also, DC ... please let Dan Mora draw Supergirl more.
I don't know what to say.
This whole arc has been great. This whole finally was incredible, fantastic, phenomenal.
Perfect.
Give me more.
Overall grade: A+












1 comment:
I wouldn't have touched this arc if not for Mart's reviews, having been burned by Williamson and considering CK irredeemable. I loved it so I've forgiven Williamson and can buy into CK's redemption. I think it'd be a fun scene down the road to see him try to make amends to someone who no longer has their death at his hands in continuity.
Post a Comment