Thursday, February 24, 2011

Scott Wegener Commission


Yesterday Atomic Robo and The Deadly Art of Science #4 (of 5) came out, written by Brian Clevinger and drawn by Scott Wegener. And since it's been a while since I posted one of the commissions in my collection so figured I wouldpost this one done by Wegener back in 2008.

Unlike the bulk of my collection which I obtain while at conventions, this one I actually commissioned away from a con, emailing Wegener, sending him the money, and waiting for the piece to be mailed to my home. At the time, my collection was filled with lots of 'angelic' poses of Supergirl so I asked for something more action-based.

I love this piece.

First off, I love Wegener's retro-appearing giant robots. I mean, this thing could be fighting Superman in an old Fleisher Studios cartoon. Second, I love the perspective here, looking down on the robot. At first it looks like Supergirl is simply flying, but then you realize she is sort of perpendicular to the ground as she soars over this robot's shoulder. The ink-wash adds a lot of depth to the piece as well. Just a great commission.



I have been on board with Atomic Robo since the first mini-series was released way back in late 2007. Clevinger and Wegener have been the creative team on all the minis, taking Robo on adventures throughout the 2oth and 21st centuries with a range of material from somber WWII stories to wacky adventures facing scientist dinosaurs. Robo is definitely worth checking out.

1 comment:

Mauricio Hunt said...

That's a good commission, it reminds me of th 'Matrix' cover from the 80s when Sg first fought that robot.

I love that series.

I sent a pin-up to them last year for one of their projects, I haven't heard about it or if it was published.

Good action, anytime you want one Supergirl kiccking Doomsdays' sorry ass, just tell me. ;)