Monday, February 7, 2011

Michael Turner Mini-Statue


The Michael Turner Supergirl mini-statue finally came out last week. If you are a fan of Turner's work and Supergirl design, it is a very nice piece. Supergirl definitely has the large eyes and Turner torso. It evokes his work nicely, even the highly detailed hair. That also means the shirt and skirt are smaller than we have recently seen in the book.

The statue comes in two pieces. The first is the Kryptonian crystal like base. The second piece is Supergirl, a crystal piece connected to her cape which fits into the base.

One of the complaints that I had heard about the large size version of this statue was the fragility of the crystal base. I have read that the smallest crystals at the edge of the base snapped off easily. I suppose I could see that as being a worry here as well.

It is bigger than I thought a "mini" statue would be.


The design of the statue gives the illusion that Supergirl is flying or floating which also adds to the appeal of the statue.


I also like the 'movement' of the cape here as well. The feel of the cape moving adds to that 'flying and floating' aspect of the statue.

The statue is priced at $79.99 so it is a bit pricey. But much more affordable than the full-size version which runs for about $300 on EBay. Since I will probably never get the full-sized statue, I am glad to have this one in my collection.

And more statues are on the way. The Adam Hughes' Women of DC, the Superman Family mulit-pieced statue, and the Amanda Conner Supergirl bust are all scheduled for release this year.

3 comments:

valerie21601 said...

It looks very lovely. I wish I could afford items like it.

Anj said...

Thanks for the comment.

Luckily for me, my comic book store will order these things for me in advance. Then I pay them down a few bucks at a time.

TalOs said...

I'm so wanting to get this like it's predecessor but unlike it's predecessor i'll be sure to place this were it wont easily break. *sighs*

Why is it that the yellow "S" shield on back of cape is missing on both versions though?