Thursday, November 20, 2008

More Info About R.E.B.E.L.S.


The February solicits for DC included a new title called R.E.B.E.L.S. which builds off the old L.E.G.I.O.N. and R.E.B.E.L.S. comics. Written by Tony Bedard (who did some serviceable fill-in issues of Supergirl and Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes).

Both Newsarama and CBR have interviews with Bedard about his love of the characters, their place in the DCU, and their relationship to the 31st century Legion.

Here are the links.
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/110820-Bedard-REBELS.html
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18891

As always, I advise reading both interviews in total. It is clear that Bedard has a love of these characters and their history and sounds pretty excited about the title.

Here are the Supergirl specific bits from the Newsarama post.

R.E.B.E.L.S. will focus on Brainiac 2, Vril Dox, as he builds a new group of interstellar mercenary police. "As R.E.B.E.L.S. begins, Brainiac 2 arrives on Earth, pursued by alien bounty hunters. We learn he’s been deposed, his interstellar police force stolen from him," Bedard explained. "Unfortunately, someone took control of his vast robot armada away from Dox. Now the peacekeeping force has become an army of occupation, and there’s a price on Dox’s head."
As a result, Dox comes to Earth seeking Supergirl, who "somehow holds the key to his comeback," the writer said, although he wouldn't give all the secrets away.


"With what she provides him, he will recruit a whole new team, take back control of L.E.G.I.O.N., and free the 83 worlds that paid him to keep them safe," Bedard said. "Well, that’s his intent, anyhow, but there are more than a few surprises ready to dash the best-laid plans of Brainiac 2. And since his new team is fighting against the forces of L.E.G.I.O.N., we’re going with the more apt title, R.E.B.E.L.S."

Bedard said that while the original L.E.G.I.O.N. team was set up as a sort of present-day analog of the Legion of Super-Heroes -- "you could even say they were a twisted reflection of the LSH," he said -- the new team reflects both heroes and villains of the 31st Century.

"The one member who returns from the original series is Strata, who hails from the same race as the classic Legionnaire, Blok," he said. "The rest are new characters that I think both Legion fans and new readers will really get a kick out of. Their names are Wildstar, Bounder, Tribulus and the Emerald Princess, and you’ll have to check out R.E.B.E.L.S. to get to know them."

I wonder if whatever she 'gives him' is somehow related to her time in the 31st century. Bedard definitely had Kara remember her LoSH time in his Countdown-related issue of Supergirl. In some ways that is the only indication we have that her Legion career is in Supergirl's continuity or that it was really her. (It is true that Johns had her in the future in Action Comics #850, so maybe there are 2 events linking her LoSH time and the present).

As for this title, most know I am also a big LoSH fan with Wildfire as my favorite Legionnaire. So this team of a female Wildfire named Wildstar, the Emerald Princess, and a Validus-looking creature called Tribulus is at least visually intriguing.

And with Kara involved at the beginning, looks like a new title will appear on my pull list.


As for the art, I have to say I am unfamiliar with Andy Clarke but what little I have seem makes me very impressed. He clearly has a fine-lined detailed style that just jumps off the page. CBR showed this page from R.E.B.E.L.S. with Supergirl swooping in to rescue Brainiac 2. Bedard describes him as a cross between Travis Charest and Kevin Maguire and that is high praise. I get just the slightest hint of Geof Darrow in the detailing (although no where near as busy).

The first issue is to be released on February 11, 2009.

5 comments:

TS said...

Jinx! Wildfire was always my favorite back in the day, too, so I'm anxious to see Wildstar in action. And (in a somewhat related aside) I've gotta say that while I enjoyed most of Mark Waid's work on the threeboot Legion, his aversion to Wildfire always confounded me; surely the man had to know how many fans Drake Burroughs has. And lastly, if you haven't seen it, check out Jim Sherman's Wildfire from Superboy #225; great stuff.

Unknown said...

Interesting story but ugly art, the page with Supergirl ... she looks quite old and somewhat 'male'.

Anj said...

And lastly, if you haven't seen it, check out Jim Sherman's Wildfire from Superboy #225; great stuff.

Thanks for the post!

Great minds think alike.

I have that issue! Wildfire was the man. One of my favorite moments is him disintegrating the evil clone Oan in The Great Darkness Saga.

Nikki said...

I think Kara is a little manly in that picture. Her hair should have been longer I think.I'm so excited about this series. I love Vril Dox and his morally ambiguous ways. Also anything that get Kara and the Dox clan closer is always good for me. Yep, I need some Kara/Querl but I'm just old fashioned.

Anonymous said...

Man I pray that Supergirl and Brainy 2 don't end up getting together for she deserves Brainy 5 instead over the lying, cheating and back stabbing Brainy 2 any day.