Friday, August 16, 2024

Wicked Comic Con 2024 Recap


When this gets posted, I'll be in the midst of packing up to head to Terrificon

Last week I was able to attend Wicked Comic Con on Sunday. (Work got in the way of my attending both days.) The place seemed busy with lots of foot traffic. 

This con is young but growing each year. There was a very solid stable of creator guests invited to the show including such legends as Adam Hughes and Phil Jimenez. While I had met many of the guests at other shows, it is always good to see them again and bring any new books for signatures. In particular, I got to talk to Jimenez for some time about Historia Book One. That book was absolutely stunning and so chatting with him about process and his approach to the gods was fascinating.

But there were a couple of guests there who I hadn't met before who I was looking forward to meeting - Tom Reilly, Marco Rudy, and Dustin Nguyen.  As I had said in a prep post, I was hoping to get a commission from Reilly. 

Luckily, there was room on his sketch list on Sunday!

Check out this brilliant commission!

It was really great to talk to Reilly about the sketch. He looked through my sketch book at all the commissions and noted how there was only one sketch with Supergirl in the classic headband costume (from George Perez). That was the costume he was interested in doing.

I just love this. First off, it just captures what I love about Reilly's art. It being the headband costume makes it stand out for sure. But the other touches, the stars, the tone effects around her fist. The confident look. That classic curly 80s hair. 

It just sings! I couldn't be happier.


One of the reasons I was seeking out Reilly was because of his work on  Knight Terrors Superman .

In that story, he had to draw all the costumes (albeit on zombies). But between the art in the story and his work on her costumes, I knew a sketch would be a winner. And it was.

I am thrilled.


I got to meet Marco Rudy and got him to sign Supergirl Annual #2, one of my all time favorite issue from the Sterling Gates era. Rudy did some of the trippier pages of that story.

Rudy said he had Helen Slater in mind when he drew Supergirl in the book.


I've always liked Dustin Nguyen's water color style and kid books. He did back-up features in the Superman Unchained book. So I got him to sign Unchained #1 (signed by Scott Snyder, Jim Lee, and Jose Luis Garcia Lopez already) and Unchained #6 (signed by Scott Snyder and Amanda Conner).

He also did covers and some internal art on the Bryan Q. Miller run on Batgirl (with Steph Brown in the cowl). And he did a wonderful cover of a Superman 80 Page Giant book.  Batgirl #24 and the Superman book have his take on Supergirl.  So I got his sig on those books too.


Finally, I have met Dan Brereton before but got his sig on the Superman/Silver Banshee mini-series (I already had them signed by artist Joyce Chin). 

He gave some interesting backstory on the book. For one, it was supposed to be one double-sized prestige book. These two covers were a wrap-around. Trust me, I was gobsmacked when he put them next to each other showing how they link up. There was some hope that this would lead to a separate series for Silver Banshee. Crazy!

Anyways, the con was fun. It was a perfect con for a one day jaunt.

That said, I wasn't thrilled with the venue. In the hotel, there were basically 3 different large rooms being used for creators and vendors. Two were near each other but one was on the other side of the venue and in the basement. It just meant some walking back and forth a bit. First world problems I know ... but one giant hall might be better to make sure I see everything.

I'm glad my hometown has a show of its own. I am glad it seems to be growing and doing better each year.

No comments: