Saturday, August 17, 2013

Boston Comic-Con 2013 Commission #3 - George Perez Commission


It seems like Boston Comic-Con 2013 was a treasure trove for me when it came to commissions.

It also marked the first time that I have moved a bit outside the box, getting my first commissions of  Supergirl in something other than the Matrix costume. Sometimes it is a happy accident, like Aaron Lopresti's half-shirt.

In other cases, including this one, it was on purpose.

I was thrilled to see that George Perez was coming to the rescheduled Boston Comic-Con. As a long time fan, I couldn't wait to meet the master. Despite first admiring his art in New Teen Titans, Perez will always be synonymous with Crisis on Infinite Earths, a huge moment in my comic life for any number of reasons.

Hate the decision or not, the death of Supergirl in Crisis on Infinite Earths #7 is a definitive moment not just for Kara but for the DC Universe. So if you are going to have George Perez draw Supergirl, it almost has to be in the headband, red shouldered costume. And I love this quick sketch I got from Perez, a smiling Supergirl, so evocative of that time in her career.


Perez was great to meet and worked his line well, handing out tickets to 'guarantee' a spot to meet him and grab a sketch. I ran to his line first thing on day two and so was able to briefly chat, grab some signatures, and complete this 'bucket list' commission moment early on. Unreal!


As I have said, I might not like the outcome, but there is no denying how historic Crisis #7 is. The mini-series killed off innumerable characters including the Flash. It reset the DC multiverse to a universe. It ends with the Golden Age Superman defeating the Anti-Monitor. But I think most people's first thought about Crisis is this cover and the death of Supergirl.

After heading to conventions for some time, I can now boast that my Crisis #7 is signed by Marv Wolfman, George Perez, and Jerry Ordway.

5 comments:

MOCK! said...

You are so lucky! I wanted to go just to shake his hand and thank him for all that he has done but I couldn't make it...was even in Worcester one of the days but couldn't get away....

Diabolu Frank said...

I luv PEZ! This experience sounded familiar...

Gene said...

Well done Anj!
Perez certainly is an icon of the Supergirl universe.
If someone ever writes a history of Supergirl I hope they get to use your picture of him holding your sketch.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous Supergirl commission from George Perez! Thank you for sharing it with blog readers.

Martin Gray said...

Just wonderful. I love the gorgeous simplicity, and suddenly want Kara to meet Betty and Veronica.