Wednesday, July 31, 2024

My Adventures With Supergirl Season 3


One day I will get to San Diego Comic Con. It's a sort of bucket list.

Lots of DC news came out of the con with a bunch of new books with classic DC characters coming out as well as the DC All In initiative.

But the big thing about SDCC is all the multimedia news that comes out of it. So after wondering if there would be a third season of My Adventures With Superman, I was able to watch a whole panel about the show. Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izLq946kMhI

The panel includes the show runners and the main voice actors. The topics range from character growth to favorite episodes to the future. If you are a fan of the series it is worth listening to.

The above image is the teaser for the now confirmed season 3. 

As a Supergirl fan, I am glad to see she is going to stick around as a focus for the show. She was used as a sort of foil to Clark this last season. My guess is that will continue as we look at the two relationships and how they unfold - Clark/Lois and Kara/Jimmy.

This is a Supergirl site so a couple of things to note from the panel. Of course, my dislike for Kara's backstory. I didn't need the trauma. Some of the answers on this panel perplex me a bit.

Supergirl's voice actor talks about how Kara is a clean slate able to explore Earth and reinvent herself. She is trying to find herself on Earth in this new life with new friends. A clean slate makes me wonder if all that trauma is going to be forgotten or swept under the rug. You would think she should at least reflect or respond to this. It is a huge part of her story. I hope we just don't get silliness from her. Because if ultimately she is going to be the funny 'stranger in strange world', we could have got there without the bleak origin.

Her wanting to mate with Jimmy is also an interesting wrinkle given that compare/contrast aspect. 

I'm hopeful.

On to more details.


The big announcement was Superboy will be on the show. It is unclear where or how he'll come to the show. And we don't know how many episodes he'll be in.

Of course, his first image is smiling, sporting sunglasses, and looking cool. (Our first look at Supergirl was her screaming angrily.)

Will Superboy have a dark, upsetting backstory? Will they keep the 'clone of Lex' aspect?

I just anticipate that he is going to be 100% cool unlike the the dismal beginnings for Supergirl.


I also liked this image of the villains we'll see this season.

A bald Lex! Mxyzptlk again! I think the guy to the left of Lex has to be a human Metallo. 

I know that I have my issues with the show's depiction of Supergirl (and basically now I feel like I am flogging my own dead horse) but overall I like this so I am glad we'll get a third season.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

TLDR: the genocides aren’t her fault; but to just shrug it off and not care is not a sign of strength. It’s weakness. Caring isn’t for cowards.

Thank you so much for not only covering SG wherever she appears all these years, but also having such a refreshing/balanced view.

I will say this: no matter my thoughts, I choose to believe the MAWS team is composed of caring human beings. Writing is hard; especially for TV. My focus is the IDEAS presented to us, not the team behind the screen :).

With that being said….
REEEEEE! /s

Watched the panel and its clear the past will have no impact in her. Maybe she does a sad face for a few seconds (or 2 if the budget allows).
My issue is not the karmic imbalance of saving 8 billion, against mind controlled genocide of 100 billion[1] .

Its the fact she does not care. THATS what disturbs me the most. I get that me bringing it up makes me a weak/snowflake/cringe person. I’m sure she wont linger on it because “she’s so strong and got no time for no trauma llama”.
I say caring is not for cowards.

To be clear! Im not against death, or genocide being depicted in fiction. S2E6 is my fave ep. That’s fine. Not even miffed that she doesn’t use the time/reset tools that are just EVERYWHERE in the DC verse XD.

Hell. Per the panel it seems like the brainiac core they save will become B5. I fear that leads into a redemption arc equivalent of a youtube apology vid.

[1] per scifi world builders Euphorix type of worlds the size of earth can comfortably hold TRILLIONS and has been depicted as such in past DC media: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAJeYe-abUA
(That’s with forests and heat generation accounted for.) Heck I’m literally nerfing the population count.

Again, just like loving: caring isn't for cowards.



SG Fan said...

Sounds like some good stuff planned for the third season.

I think it's too soon to judge what will happen with Kara. I agree, not following up with stuff that happened would be a mistake. I'll wait to reserve judgement though till, I watch the actual episodes when they air.

No sense deciding anything till we see the actual show.