Monday, March 13, 2023

Wicked Comic-Con Prep


In about 5 weeks I'll be heading to the latest local comic book convention, Wicked Comic Con. 

Last year, Wicked Comic Con exploded on the scene with their first convention. The place was packed with comic book creators and I had a blast.

Already the convention has grown with the con now at the Prudential Convention Center, one of the preeminent convention sites here in Boston. And like last year, the convention is really embracing the comic side of conventions with a huge creator list. This is comic book focused for sure.

I'll be there both days and have a couple of commission ideas that I might comment on in a later post. I haven't had a ton of luck at recent cons to grab some sketches but I am hopeful. And there a couple of artists in attendance who I think would do a very interesting take on Supergirl. Fingers crossed.

Now I have been to many conventions over the last 15 years so many of the creators in attendance I have seen before, including some favorites like Amanda Conner, Chris Bachalo, and Terry Dodson. But here are some of the folks I am most interested in seeing and hopefully chat with.

And as always, I hope to run into friends there so if anyone is going to be there, let me know!

Let's start with Jeph Loeb, a creator I have never met before. Loeb is a legend in the business with many famous works under his belt. 

For me, he is the man who brought back Kara Zor-El to the mainstream DCU. I have a ton of questions to ask him (hopefully) about his take on Kara. Remember, early in that series she was pretty angry and ready to lash out at people. Batman didn't trust her. Where did all that come from?

I'll have some of those Supergirl issues to get signed and probably a smattering of Red Hulk, Batman/Superman, and Superman For All Seasons with me too.

Who else am I hoping to chat up?


I didn't get a chance to talk to Dan Didio in person at last year's Terrificon but I'd love to ask him about his thoughts on Supergirl as well. You might remember that Didio says he knew it was time to leave DC when Supergirl went dark for the 4th time. Why did he allow it?

Didio is clearly a comic fan so I would just like to meet him to be honest. 

I am missing Adam Hughes signature on my beloved Harley Quinn #0 so I glad I will run into Hughes again. 

Plus I have some issues to get signed for some buddies.


I met Ed McGuinness about 10 years ago but I didn't bring the Batman/Superman issues I would love to get signed. I'm a fan of McGuinness' style so it'll be nice to see him again. 


I am a huge fan of Yanick Paquette's art, even grabbing a commission from him a while ago. But it has been too long! I have some new stuff to get signed and to thank him for, including the Wonder Woman Earth One books.
Brian Stelfreeze is another huge talent who I met a looooong time ago and can't wait to meet again. At the time I had him sign some Fallen Angel comics. I just want to thank him for his wonderful art. I am sure I will find some stuff for him to sign.

Finally, one of the creators who I haven't met before and I am pumped to meet is Leinil Yu. Yu drew Superman Birthright, a series I love. He drew the New X-Men annual written by Grant Morrison that introduced Xorn. And he drew Secret Invasion for Marvel, three things I really loved.

So I hope that I can get something signed by him and thank him for his stylish work!

Who else will be there?

No comments: