Wednesday, January 29, 2020

The Comic Loft And Other Decor


With comic news being a little light this week, I thought I would share a little something personal today on new comic book day.

I have recently struck out on my own and had, for the first time ever, sole decision-making authority on the decor of my place. I knew when I was looking for a place to live that a one bedroom apartment would be enough. But I also envisioned a loft of some sort where the comic book magic could happen.

And lo and behold, I was lucky enough to find such a place.

So I thought I would share some choices here.

From the main room, as you gaze up the stars to the loft, you see the Dave McKean 'There is no such thing as a Black Orchid' print from the Neil Gaiman penned mini-series from the late 80s.

That print was banished to a poster tube for too long in the past so having it framed professionally was my one true luxury item. Eventually I will get one of those little gallery lights to clip on the frame for better visualization from below.

But wait, there's more.



Once at the top of the loft, you get another piece of art, an official poster from the Blade Runner Director's Cut released in 1991.

Yes I am old. But I was working in a movie theater when that was released and was lucky enough to grab a one-sheet.

Not a bad greeting.


 Turning to the right when you get to the loft, you see where the magic happens.

There is a big oak desk which my dad refinished for me years ago. Here is where some comics get read and where a lot of blogging gets done.

Behind me are the shelves and drawer boxes of the 'official' collection. look close on the desk and you'll see the desk guarded by two of my faves - Vegeta and the Creeper.


More recently, on the far wall, I finally hung two original pages of comic art.

One is my favorite page from Supergirl:Cosmic Adventures in the Eighth Grade.

The other is a page from the underappreciated James Peaty/Bernard Chang run on the pre-New 52 Supergirl book.

Now I know what you might be thinking. Where is the shrine? Well, I haven't figured that part out yet.


The comic and geek decor is present throughout though.

Moving away from the loft and into the bedroom you'll see the most recent addition, the promo poster for the current Legion of Super-Heroes title.


And in the opposite corner is the other comic reading chair, this one under the Rocketeer teaser poster.

Not seen here (as I forgot to take a picture) is the Evangelion Unit 00 figure guarding the bathroom sink.

The new place is now much more home. And I am happier.

Once the shrine is back up, I'll take a pic!

Thanks for letting me share!

4 comments:

Martin Gray said...

Fascinating stuff! Is it true your place used to be a rocket ship?

SG Fan said...

Dig the Rocketeer poster near the reading chair :)

SimB said...

Thanks for sharing! I envy you with that original art. Glad you are settling in.

Shaban said...

The space looks a little tight, but otherwise very beautiful. Congratulations on having your own place and your own say on how it looks.

https://aab-edu.net/