Saturday, October 25, 2014

January 2015 Solicits

The DC solicits for January 2015 have been fully released and there is some interesting wrinkles to the new year. Here is a link to Newsarama's coverage: http://www.newsarama.com/22499-dc-comics-full-january-2015-solicitations.html

It is interesting to me that DC books seem to be dropping from my pull list. I came to the realization that I know almost nothing about the New 52 DCU outside of the super-books.

I read Justice League United. I read Smallville (which is being canceled). I read Wonder Woman (which I will drop when the Finch's take over). I read Multiversity (a mini-series). I read Batwoman (which I fear is nearing cancellation).  I read Sensation Comics (which is outside of continuity).

So I am glad to see that I will be adding another DC title to the mix. On to the solicits.



SUPERGIRL #38
Written by MIKE JOHNSON and K. PERKINS
Art and cover by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO
THE FLASH 75 Variant cover by MICHAEL OEMING

Supergirl faces her toughest class yet at the Crucible Academy – Humanity 101. Plus, a conspiracy surrounding the clone known as Superboy begins!

The first thing that hits me in the face about this solicit is the cover. Is this a new costume design? A Crucible Academy uniform? I am glad to see the 'red crotch guard' disappear. Although the yellow disks and goggles seem a little off. Maybe this is some suit to wear in a battle situation.

But the idea that the 'toughest class' is Humanity 101 makes me worried that Perkins/Johnson are taking a step back from where Bedard has brought her. If she can't understand humanity, is she isolated again? Angry? Not considering Earth as her home?? Please tell me I am wrong!



JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED #8
Written by JEFF LEMIRE
Art by NEIL EDWARDS and JAY LEISTEN
Cover by ANDREW ROBINSON

The penultimate chapter of “The Infinitus Saga” is here as the fate of the future is decided in a battle between Justice League United and the Legion of Super-Heroes!

My guess is that the cover shows the Thanagarian fleet being brought into the mix. Is that Hawkman? Or just a Thanagarian general?

Sad to see no Legionnaires on the cover.



ACTION COMICS #38
Written by GREG PAK
Art and cover by AARON KUDER

The Horror of Smallville has been unleashed on the world! Superman must stop the evil undead threat of the Ultrahumanite from crushing humanity!

I am thrilled to see Pak and Kuder listed on the credits. And there is no crossover attached! Add a horror element and the Ultrahumanite! And that cover is creepy. Hope the book picks up the momentum it had before Doomed.


SUPERMAN #38
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art and wraparound cover by JOHN ROMITA, JR. and KLAUS JANSON

An extra-sized special issue of the world’s greatest hero brings in the New Year with a new costume, new powers and new friends and enemies! The epic team of Geoff Johns, John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson conclude their first arc with twist after twist that will send Superman onto a new path and force Clark Kent to making a shocking decision! Plus: John Romita Jr. draws Batman!

Now here is an interesting solicit.

A new costume?? Are we bringing back the red trunks? Are we streamlining Superman to look like the Man of Steel movies. What will it look like?

New powers? New friends? New enemies?

I hope that Johns stays on the book long enough to bring his ideas to fruition so we don't get another soft reboot.



BATMAN/SUPERMAN #18
Written by GREG PAK
Art by ARDIAN SYAF and SANDRA HOPE
Cover by ARDIAN SYAF and DANNY MIKI

Superman uncovers the identity of the unseen terror that has been destroying targets related to him, while Batman seeks to protect Lois Lane! This time the truth will hurt in more ways than Superman could imagine!

There is a sort of  'Days of Future Past' Uncanny X-Men 141 feel to this cover. Does the 'truth hurting' mean that someone will actually be injured or killed?


SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #15
Written by PETER J. TOMASI
Art and cover by DOUG MAHNKE

Wonderstar’s destiny is starting to become clear – and his path may lead to the end of humanity! Will Superman and Wonder Woman be able to prevent him from becoming what – or who – he’s meant to be?

Wonderstar? Who is he?

I am hoping that Tomasi/Mahnke can bring me back. This book is once again on the endangered list. Will I drop it?



SMALLVILLE SEASON 11: CONTINUITY #2
Written by BRYAN Q. MILLER
Art by IG GUARA, J.P. MAYER and JULIO FERREIRA
Cover by CAT STAGGS

Lois and Clark are forced to team up with a most unlikely ally – but how can they trust Lex Luthor? Then, the Manhunters attack! Batman, Wonder Woman, and some of Superman’s past allies defend Earth by fighting alongside Superman – united!

I am so sad that this book is ending.

This is the Crisis. This is some commentary on DC rebooting things over and over. And it is fun. And it has Clark and Lois. And a classic Superman. And a great Supergirl. And I only have a little bit left.

And then this ...




RED LANTERNS #38
Written by LANDRY WALKER
Art by J. CALAFIORE
Cover by SCOTT HEPBURN

Guy carries the guilt of the lives lost in the Atrocitus War, and while he’s dedicated his life to finding redemption through safeguarding Earth, can a man carrying a death wish truly be a hero?

People who have visited this blog for a while know that I love Landry Walker as a writer. Whether it was Batman The Brave and the Bold or Danger Club or the beloved Supergirl Cosmic Adventures in the Eighth Grade, he has written some great stuff.

So I was pretty surprised to see him as the new writer of Red Lanterns. I wasn't planning to read this book anymore with the Corps basically dismantled and Supergirl not in the book. But looks like every time I think I'm out ... they pull me back in!

This was a nice surprise and looks like I'll be adding a DC book to my pull list after all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seriously hope that's just a coloring error on the Supergirl costume. That costume is almost as bad as the Smallville costume. She doesn't look at all like Supergirl to me anymore, and thus haven't purchased the title in a long time.

Bartiemus said...

Supermans red trunks make as much sense as Supergirls crotch plate so I hope they don't revert to his old costume.
Greg Pak and Jeff Lemrie continue to use Kara really well so excited for there runs to continue crossover free.

Anj do we have a year for the Supergirl TV show yet? All I have been able to find is TBA

AndNowInStereo said...

I think that JLUnited cover is my favourite of Andrew Robinson's covers for the book so far. It looks epic. And the Supergirl cover is cool, I always like Lupacchino but having Rico Renzi (who will be colouring Spider-Gwen) colour it is a nice touch. He really likes pink. I think the costume shown on it is specific for the story, but I do like and wouldn't be against her keeping it.

Bartiemus: Given that CBS jumped on Supergirl so quickly without a script for a pilot even existing (if I understand the wording of the trade articles correctly), the show is so early in development that very little information is actually known about it at this point.

But for a basis for comparison, The Flash was announced it was being fast-tracked by The CW for production in July 2013 and Grant Gustin was cast in September of that year. So if it were to follow that kind of production cycle, we'll be looking at early 2016 before it's on screen. But as CBS clearly wants it badly, who knows, maybe it'll be sooner, but I'm no TV expert so this is all a bit beyond me. We'll have to wait and see.

If The Flash is anything to go on though, it's going to be good:)

Anonymous said...

Stupid question....How does Supergirl remain active as a frontline member of the JLU when she is going to school off world with presumably a curfew and teachers to whom she must answer for her time?



JF

Martin Gray said...

That's a good question, actually, JF - surely she can't just go to JLU for breaks ... remember that short period when the Titans was meant to be for after-school training? Daft.

Thomas, Rico Renzi has some way to go to match colourist Tony Tollin's love of pink. For a while there in the Eighties it was as if Hal Jordan was Pink Lantern.

And yes to Kal trunks and a new outfit for Kara. I'd actually taken those goggles for a low-heat heat vision effect, but I guess you're right, Anj.

Jay said...

I don't think there's any realistic chance for a return to the trunks. Heck, they've even taken them off Magneto now. Its officially a dead design in their eyes. I could see them losing the high collar though.