Friday, October 31, 2014

2014 Halloween Jack O'Lanterns



Happy Halloween everyone!

Folks who have been here over the years know that I love to carve jack-o-lanterns. And I usually end up doing lanterns on pop culture stuff that I like and the supergirls at home like as well.

I have been contributing to The Legion of Super-Bloggers, Legion of Super-Heroes blog, covering the 5YL Legion series. And that has re-energized my love of the Legion. So I definitely wanted to do a Legion jack-o-lantern. I toyed with a number of designs, including Wildfire and Ferro Lad, but ultimately decided on Sensor Girl and I have to say I am thrilled with how this came out.

In particular, I tried something new artistically with the 'hair', going for a varied, organic, mix of depths to give the hair a natural feel. I just sort of carved without a plan, unlike the level smooth look of the mask, and the varying light gives the hair some texture.


Here is the lantern when it isn't lit.

The youngest supergirl at home is a huge fan of Pacific Rim and asked for a lantern based on the movie.

I thought that doing the logo of Gipsy Danger would be a nice lantern for her. The more graphic design, the WW2 bomber image of a woman with a machine gun, looked too daunting for my skills and so I opted to do the simpler Gipsy Danger logo.

As long as supergirl likes it ... I'm happy.


Here it is unlit.

I only have lit pictures for these other ones I have done.


Raphael from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.


Mockingjay from the Hunger Games.


And lastly, Snoopy as an ace WWI fighter pilot.

I have to say I was way happier with these lanterns in comparison to last year's. I felt like last year was a let down.

Hope everyone has a happy Halloween.

1 comment:

Martin Gray said...

These are just amazing - it's rather reassuring that you're so handy with a scalpel.

Happy Hallowe'en!