Monday, December 24, 2012

DCnU Supergirl Statue


Christmas came a little early for me when my pre-ordered Supergirl bust from DC Direct arrived at my local comic book store.

I have to say this is a very pretty piece, larger and more detailed than I expected. I have to say that I was never a big fan of the 'belly shirt' costume and seeing this bust just re-affirms that. Plus, the bust format eliminated the wonky boots and de-emphasizes the 'crotch panel' aspect of this version as well, the elements that I think are the weakest part of the design.

At first I wasn't sure if I would like the pose but seeing it in reality it looks pretty slick. It has the left hand outstretched as though she is flying to someone with that right fist cocked for a wicked hook.

The face is the one thing not spectacular here as the sculpt of the eyes seems off just a bit. It does have a very Asrar-feel to it.


It is a bigger bust than prior ones ... both in height and depth. You can see the base tapers backwards here and the cape is fully outstretched. As a result it has a weightier and more dynamic feel than prior busts which had a much more vertical and less horizontal sculpt.


Here is a view from behind with the cape billowing out behind her.

I will add that the hair is also well done on this, very intricate and precise delineation of strands.


Lastly, I thought I would post a true side view of the bust just so you can see just how big this thing is. Hopefully the trades about 5-6 inches behind can give some sort of reference to its size. I would guess it is about 6 inches tall and 6 inches deep.

Overall a very impressive statue and a nice little holiday bonus for me! At $69.95 it is pricey. But I pre-ordered mine months in advance and paid it off little by little.

I will find a place for this on my shelves and post pics of my Supergirl collection tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like it, she looks vaguely "Grown Up"...is it me or did they soften the otherwise semifascistic lines of her emblem?

Happy Holidaze

JF