Tuesday, June 26, 2012

George Perez On His Superman Run



The George Perez interview at the Superman Day in Metropolis has made the rounds of the big comic sites (here is the link at Bleeding Cool: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/24/george-perez-talking-about-being-rewritten-at-dc-comics/).  The entire interview is available at a number of sites but Bleeding Cool does a good job of parsing out the pieces that intrigued me the most, parts that dealt with Perez run on the New 52 Superman title.

Now I didn't particularly like that run on the book. It seemed inscrutable, there were parts that made no sense, and there were parts that were focused on that seemed inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. At the time I wondered just why an arc like that would have been the foundation for the re-introduction of Superman to the DCU. Perez opened up about the problems with this arc in that interview.

First he comments about rewrites:
Unfortunately when you are writing major characters, you sometimes have to make a lot of compromises and I was made certain promises, and unfortunately not through any fault of Dan DiDio, he was no longer the last word, lot of people making decisions, going against each other, contradicting, again in mid story. The people who love my Superman arc, I thank you. What you read, I don’t know. After I wrote it… I told them here’s my script, if you change it, that’s your prerogative, don’t tell me. Don’t ask me to edit it, don’t ask me to correct it, I don’t want to change something that you’re going to change again if you disagree. No no, Superman is a big character, I was flattered by the responsibility, but I thought this was getting a little tough.

I find it interesting that Perez's scripts were under such high scrutiny, that he had to get through not only his own editor but also Dan Didio and other people who also had 'the last word'. Who are these people?  And if one decision was made for the first issue and that decision was reversed for issue two ...well, no wonder the book felt completely disjointed. Perez even didn't want to be told about changes! I suppose the question is ... just what were these changes? Would the purely Perez story be better? Were the rewrites needed? Or at least part of them?


I am sure the truth is in the middle somewhere.

Here he talks about his short leash on the book:
I didn’t mind the changes in Superman, I just wish it was the same decision issue 1 or issue 2, and I had to kept rewriting things because another person changed their mind, and that was a lot tougher, it wasnt the same as doing Wonder Woman, I was given a full year to get Wonder Woman established before enfolded into the DC Universe properly, I had a wonderful editor Karen Berger who ran shotgun for me. They wanted me to recreate what I did through Wonder Woman, but it’s not the same age, not the same atmosphere, I couldn’t do it any more, and the writer who replaced me, Keith Giffen, was very nice. I’ve known Keith since we both started in the industry, he called me up when they asked him to do Superman to make sure I wasn’t being fired off Superman. And regrettable I did have to tell him I can’t wait to get off Superman. It was not the experience I wanted it to be.

One of the things that has bothered me about the New 52 has been the extreme short leash that some creators had on their books. Before many of these titles had a chance to gel and find an audience, the directions were changed or the creative teams were removed. I have wondered why DC didn't let these books have a longer time to find their way ... or, more importantly, why 'the powers that be' didn't recognize that a premise wasn't going to work. So to read that Perez was given carte blanche for a year when he redid Wonder Woman, that he got his chance then, was interesting. Is the market so volatile now that a book can't breathe for a bit? That creators can't get to a point where some of their vision is achieved? Or are the people deciding on which books get a green light making the right decisions if things need to be blown up so quickly?

Here Perez talks about the creative freedom he was promised on the title:
It was what they had promised me in the New 52 version of Superman. I had no idea Grant Morrison was going to be working on another Superman title, I had no idea I was doing it five years ahead, which means, my story I couldn’t do certain things without knowing what he did, and Grant wasn’t telling everybody, so I was kind of stuck,who exists, DC couldn’t give me answers. Oh my gosh, you’re deciding all these things and you mean even you don’t know what’s going on in your books… so I became very frustrated…

I have to admit that the different timelines in the DC books have been confusing at times. At one point we had the present Superman in the Perez book, a younger Superman in Justice League, and a younger Superman in Action. Perez was sort of handcuffed because he didn't know what Morrison was going to do or not do. Could Perez use Kryptonite? The Parasite? Luthor? Or did DC allow Morrison to have the 'first' appearance of everything? I guess I can understand Perez's frustration.

And as much as I am loving Action, it isn't really reading like Man of Steel or Superman Secret Origin. He doesn't seem to be in a rush to establish this Superman and some of the more familiar parts of his mythos. So when will things be caught up such that everyone who wants to write Superman is playing on the same field?

Lastly, I liked this part where Perez talks about receiving scripts:
Somebody else basically to tell someone like I am, how to draw or choreograph a comic book. I think I’ve been doing it enough time. There are a lot of artists in my position having the same experience. Let us do we’ve been doing, in my case for going on four decades and have have a modicum amount of success in it. I’m glad that in the case of World’s Finest, the one thing at least they allow me to do was is to work with someone like Paul Levitz, who been there the same amount of time I’ve been and who understands sometimes the best stories are the ones that surprise both the writer and the artist as well.

It sounds like Perez feels artistically stifled by full scripts where writers delineate everything including panel breakdown. Unfortunately the current standard is for full scripts.

That's why Perez is currently happy on Worlds' Finest. Levitz provides complete scripts but let's Perez make some decisions on how the book should be layed out and look. Perez says that Levitz trusts him and will rewrite something to fit Perez art. I wonder if that ability to change scripts on the fly, to allow some artistic freedom, is reserved only for veterans like Levitz or for everyone.

Anyways, I don't mind these looks into the creative process even if it as ugly a process as this sounds like. It certainly doesn't sound like there was much harmony between the editors and creators in those early Superman issues.

11 comments:

collectededitions said...

I felt a little sad reading this interview, actually. The first DC New 52 Superman collection isn't out yet, and I was planning on picking it up, but it makes for a depressing reading experience to know the writer writing the words on the page didn't even like the story. I want to read this book because it's the first New 52 Superman, but already it feels like a waste of money. I can't fault Perez for telling it like it is, but part of me wishes he could've waited until after the book fully came out in all forms before he disavowed it.

Gene said...

I am surprised that a comic book veteran like Perez was treated by his superiors like some office intern. Then again the people who gave him grief are probably the same brainiacs who removed Sterling Gates from the Supergirl title way too early, who gave us Grounded, who played writer musical chairs with Supergirl before the DCnU, and who fumbled the whole New Krypton saga. I believe the whole editorial staff in the Superman department is overdue for a reboot.

Dave Mullen said...

I believe the whole editorial staff in the Superman department is overdue for a reboot.

Agreed. I have no axe to grind against Matt Idelson but under his tenure Superman has suffered badly. In fact I'd venture the opinion that not since before the Crisis has Superman and his world suffered as badly as this since Infinite Crisis.
But it seems to be a trend across the industry to let Editors stay for years on end while creators come and go as if there's a revolving door... Looking back over Idelson's time how many bright spots have there really been?

I was surprised by Perez' candidness in this interview, very unusual for a topdrawer creator such as him to open up in such a critical way but on the other hand it may be his experiences at the haands of editorial cut so deep he had to get it off his chest and set the record straight - few come as accomplished and respected as George Perez.
I think we'd sort of guessed Morrison had a hight degree of independence on Action Comics but to hear he isn't expected to laise with editorial and fellow writers to make Superman's world cohesive is just incredible. Unbelievable. And looking to Perez' tale hypocritical of DC as well.
I have like Morrisons stories but the overall run so far is incredible disjointed and going off in such extreme tangents I'm sure I can't be the only one concerned and a little frustrated at the lack of a clear narrative. Is all of this stuff he's doing actually heading somewhere? Is there anyone at DC who shares my concerns at the lack of a clear direction and clarity?
Superman is pretty good at the moment, overall it's pulling its weight, but it should be far far better than this. If Morrison is regarded as Superman's visionnary and architect why is it he's not plotting both books? Why is it DC haven't said he's their man in charge of Superman?

As it is this is Way too much faith and power to give to one creator like this, I don't see it ending well unless Morrison is brought under a stricter control and allows an editor to direct him.

Anonymous said...

These are great comments and a very revealing interview from Mr. Perez. One thing I did love about his short run was that it really got into detail about the inhabitants of Metropolis: from the mayor, the firefighters, police officer, newspeople, and bystanders. Metropolis felt like a real city and not just something populated by Superman and the usual supporting cast. But the ultimate climax fell flat and was too confusing for my tastes.

My problem with the New 52, and the Superman title in particular, is that creative teams are fleeting. Think about it: In 12 issues, there will have been four writers on Superman (Perez, Giffen, Jurgens, and now Lobdell). There's just not enough time for anything to "gel". Superman deserves better. Action Comics has been entertaining, but like Dave says, the constant lurching back and forth through time periods and alternate earths isn't exactly friendly to the so-called "new" readers that DC claimed to want so badly. Is there any writer who is going to stay on Superman long enough to tell a satisfying and complete story arc, like Mr. Gates did on Supergirl, or Mr. Claremont did on X-Men all those years ago?

Anonymous said...

My thoughts were that they left Gates on SUpergirl way too long. Then again, I didn't like the character at all from issue #20 onward.

Anj said...

I can't fault Perez for telling it like it is, but part of me wishes he could've waited until after the book fully came out in all forms before he disavowed it.

Thanks for the post.

I think it spoke voluminous volumes that he did trash it. More than anything that let me know how frustrated he was with the whole thing.

I wonder just how much this story looks like the one he wrote. Was it the main plot? Or was it toning things down like Lois' shirtless boyfriend?

As I said, I didn't like this arc. But now I don't know how much of it should be laid at Perez' feet.

Anj said...

Gene said:
I believe the whole editorial staff in the Superman department is overdue for a reboot.

Dave Mullen said:
Looking back over Idelson's time how many bright spots have there really been?

I have to agree that it seems like the whole Superman line has sort of shuffled along over the last couple of years. In many ways Supergirl has been a consistent bright spot.

But the disorganized and rushed ending of New Krypton, almost everything about Grounded (although Roberson's issues were better), Luthor headlining Action, the bizarre slugfest of Reign of Doomsday ... it all shows a scattered and fundamentally flawed approach to the character.

Is it Idelson? His superiors? A mix?

I do think it might be time for some fresh blood at the reins.

Anj said...

I was surprised by Perez' candidness in this interview, very unusual for a topdrawer creator such as him to open up in such a critical way but on the other hand it may be his experiences at the haands of editorial cut so deep he had to get it off his chest and set the record straight - few come as accomplished and respected as George Perez.

Is all of this stuff (Morrison)'s doing actually heading somewhere? Is there anyone at DC who shares my concerns at the lack of a clear direction and clarity?


I think it is the very fact that Perez is such a veteran that gave him the power to unload like this. Perez is probably untouchable because he is such a talent. Can you imagine what would happen if a younger less established creator said all this. My guess is they would be blacklisted as 'difficult' and be out of a job.

I am glad he did it though because I think he validated what many of us felt all along. That things were being done scattershot on this arc. No I know it was because of all the cooks.

As for Morrison, I agree with everything you say. I love the Action book. It is wonderful Morrison-y stuff. But it isn't foundation for a new generation of Superman. I almost wish they published a 6 month 'secret origin' style story weaving through both books before relaunching new stories.

Anj said...

My problem with the New 52, and the Superman title in particular, is that creative teams are fleeting. Think about it: In 12 issues, there will have been four writers on Superman (Perez, Giffen, Jurgens, and now Lobdell). There's just not enough time for anything to "gel". Superman deserves better.

I said it myself.

Either give creators time to get their feet under themselves and get their vision across ... or don't okay them for the book.

A new creative vision 4 issues into a new title in a new universe? That is absurd!

Anj said...

BTW ... thanks for all the comments!

Great discussion!

Anonymous said...

They definitely need a Scott Snyder or Jeff Lemire type of writer on Superman, whose name sells, who is passionate about the character and is given free reign to do what he wants.

(Sadly, as much as I usually love Morrison's work, I just don't feel that "Action Comics" is his baby at all; he's not writing it with the same kind of love that he has written with his 3 Bat-books.)