Thursday, June 28, 2012

Secret Files And Origins Blog Crossover: Supergirl 2004


Welcome to another blog crossover among friends where character pages from DC Secret Files and Origin issues are shared. These 'files' are a sort of nouveau Who's Who pages tucked between the stories of these oversized issues. I recently stumbled across this Michael Turner Supergirl page.

Earlier this month I went to the Granite State Comic Con and really got elbow deep into the dollar boxes, walking away with a ton of stuff cheap. One of the things I got, on a whim and without flipping through, was the Superman Secret Files and Origins 2004 issue. I can't pass up high-page count books at a low price!

(For me, one of the joys of going to comic book conventions is thumbing through all of the $1 boxes trying to find some diamond in the rough or some unknown gem amidst the detritus. It also allows me to sample titles I passed on earlier at a cut price.)

The convention gods have shined on me in the past when it came to Supergirl. Sometimes it seemed that at random I would pull out a Batman Chronicles or Adventure Comics 80pg Giant or Four Star Spectacular that happened to include a Supergirl story. Is there a greater force at work here?

Anyways, what was in the back of that book? A Supergirl Secret Files page sporting Michael Turner art. This was basically right around the time the Supergirl story arc finished in Superman/Batman so it is pretty sparse on facts. And while I am not the biggest Turner fan, there is no denying his vision was crucial to the inception of the last Kara.

Looking for more Secret Files character pages? Head to these fine sites!


And here is the cover of the Superman Secret Files and Origins 2004 issue for anyone interested in hunting it down.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Diabolu Frank said...

Turner had a gift for bringing Barbie to comic book life, and though a bit of a bim, his Supergirl seemed to rally a whole new round of fans around the character.

FICTION STATE OF MIND said...

Great post! My comic shop does a lot of dollar bundlles if miniseries and old DC books, love it !