Saturday, April 23, 2011

Sales Review: March 2011


Recently, ICv2 posted comics sales numbers for March 2011. As always, ICv2 does a great job crunching the numbers and are worth a close look. Here is the link:  http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/19837.html

FF#1 was the biggest seller, clearing 100K and Marvel continued to dominate in dollar sales. DC did have 7 of the top 10 books sold, a mix of Green Lantern books, Batman books, and Brightest Day which has continued to sell well throughout it's run.


I have promised optimism here and I will hold to that promise.

Despite the overall downward trend of comic sales, and the relative upheaval on the creative side of Supergirl's title, the book's sales remained pretty stable. Supergirl #62 sold 21,786, down just 1% from the prior month. In this market, that has to be looked upon favorably. Of course, I wish that number was much higher, much healthier.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Peaty's run ends and Kelly Sue DeConnick takes over. Will the new writer effect things? Or are the 21K of us currently buying out there here for the long run?

And what about after DeConnick's three issue run? Is a three issue run going to be looked upon as a sign of an uncertain future? I really hope DC hands the reins to a writer long term. I think this turnstile approach to creative teams on the title can't be good. And I do hope that the Brian Wood rumor is true. Would be nice to see what he could do with Supergirl.

4 comments:

Gear said...

Reasonably steady-state sales is the best you can expect these days I think. Hurrah for that!

A regular creative team that has time to build and execute a long-term plan would be nice. The short arcs can tell fun stories, but we lose the opportunity to see little hints dropped that turn into big things later, and the feel that there's a grand plan afoot. I miss that from the Gates/Ingle run, I hope we can get it back.

I was rooting for DeConnick to be the permanent writer when she was first announced (yes, I'm biased, I'd like to see what a woman could do with Supergirl over a long-term assignment) and still am. But now I'm also rooting for Wood to stay in place for quite awhile, though I'm less (as in not at all) familiar with his work.

ANJ, what about giving a quick review of one of our new writer's other works as a preview?

Anj said...

The idea of a preview of works by the DeConnick and whoever gets named as writer after (hopefully Wood) is a good one. I'll see what I can come up with.

I do think this book needs a long-term team again.

Anonymous said...

However long it lasts is however long it lasts. I'm treating each issue as a gift without shutting off my critical sensibilities of course.
I can recall a time when it was more or less forbidden by editorial diktat to even print the name "Supergirl" in a DC book.

I think a lot of people would like to see "This Supergirl" surge past the "Peter David Mark" in the issue run. But it probably is not a good idea to get emotionally invested in that specific outcome.
Hope for the best and remember we were once all outcasts in the DCU...

:D

John Feer

Anj said...

I think a lot of people would like to see "This Supergirl" surge past the "Peter David Mark" in the issue run. But it probably is not a good idea to get emotionally invested in that specific outcome.
Hope for the best and remember we were once all outcasts in the DCU...


I agree with you 100%. I want to see a Supergirl #100. I'd really love to see a Supergirl #81, past the PAD mark.

But I realize we need small goals. First let's get past the 3issue DeConnick arc without the words 'final issue'.

And I hope DC realizes there is a fanbase out there. But we could ask the Cassandra Cain fanbase how that is working out too.