Thursday, March 26, 2009

Wizard Magazine #211 - Interview With Super-Writers


This month's Wizard Magazine has a nice interview with the four writers of the super-titles: Geoff Johns, Greg Rucka, James Robinson, and Sterling Gates.

The interview covers a lot of topics about the next year in the Superman family. It is definitely worth reading in it's entirety as some hints (albeit vague hints) for the upcoming year are slipped in. I thought that I would post some of the more Supergirl-centric comments.



I think we all saw the re-imagining of the 'secret weapon' status when the UN decree was enacted post-New Krypton. I hope that doesn't mean we have a year of Supergirl skulking around. I would rather see her operate openly but then slip away as Linda Lang.

Since I was fairly vocal in my support of a secret identity, I have to say I am excited to see Gates explore this new aspect to Kara's character.

Lastly, I do find it somewhat intriguing that Gates says "people already don't like [Kara]; now they really don't like [her]." One thing I am hoping will eventually come out of the new team's direction is some recognition by the world that Kara is a hero. Of course this reinventing of herself is part of her feud with Cat Grant and isn't helped by New Krypton. This turning of popular sentiment won't happen overnight. I expect it to be an undercurrent in the title for a while.



Okay, it's not a Supergirl comment. But I am glad that Lois is not being lost during the 'year without Superman'. I feared that Lois might become a very minor character in all the titles, appearing sporadically.

When I saw that inquisitive look on her face in Rucka's Action Comics #875, I knew that someone was going to be writing a strong Lois.

We also know she will have a reasonably important role in Supergirl as part of the 'Agent Liberty' murder investigation.




It's hard to know when this interview was done; I wonder if it was completed before the release of the Origins and Omens piece in Supergirl was released. Johns hints about something big happening to Lana in Supergirl and I have to assume it is her illness.

I do like the fact that the Lana/Kara relationship is not like an ersatz mother/daughter one. It should be more mentor-like. Like my interest in Linda Lang, I also look forward to seeing more of this interaction.



The interview turns to the topic of villains including who will be in Johns' Secret Origin mini-series.

As for Supergirl, we hear that Reactron and Silver Banshee are pretty established now as Kara rogues now.

But 2 more villains? One known and one new?

I know the known villain ... that doll in Supergirl #38 spoke volumes ... it has to be The Toyman!

I am glad to hear a new villain will be added too. Supergirl needs to start building her own history and rogue's gallery, not just a shuffling of Superman enemies.
And then Rucka drops this bomb ... Supergirl as a villain in the pages of Action Comics?

I can think of that happening in 2 ways. One would be Alura sends Kara out to bring in the Thara and Chris as rogue Kryptonians living on Earth. Unlikely, since I think Kara probably escapes from under Alura's thumb at the end of the Superwoman arc.

My guess is that some classic 'misunderstanding' between the Kara and Thara has them think they are at odds with each other only to eventually team up and stop the bad guys.

Overall, it sounds like the teams have a pretty tight understanding of all they hope to accomplish over the year. When projects are well-thought out in advance, the product is usually good. I am pretty optimistic about these titles for the upcoming year.

As for the rest of this Wizard, it sports a somewhat psychedelic 'face melting' pulling-off-the-mask Spiderwoman cover by Alex Maleev and has an article about the upcoming Spiderwoman comic/web comic. I have a cool Maleev Supergirl commission that I will probably post when the Spiderwoman title gets released.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like they have a great grasp on the characters!

I can't wait for the reveal!

Oooo, can I put a last minute entry for the Superwoman poll?

.....

Bizzaro Supergirl.


We haven't seen HER in a while....


a quick question though....

I saw in one of the recent pictures you had Kara was kissing someone....

Who IS that guy?

.....


Is it safe to say that they might bring back Richard Malverne or Brainiac 5... since they're reterning to the Silver-aged stuff?

Jason said...

Sounds like they have great plans in the works for Supergirl. One thing I'd really like to see with this Linda Lang secret identity is for it to become the name that people who know her actually call her (instead of Kara) - like how Superman is called Clark by most people (instead of Kal). I would like Clark, Lana, Lois, Cassie, and so on to start calling her Linda. Wasn't that the case in the Silver Age? I could be wrong since the only example I'm basing this on is from CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS #4 when Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) calls Supergirl Linda instead of Kara. Am I strange for thinking this?

Anonymous said...

Hm, y'know, with all due respect to the writers I don't like the sounds of this specific plan one bit whatsoever. Actually truth be told I'm unfortunately as of late even beginning to tire of New Krypton (which I wish DC would just refer to as being known as "Roykn" instead) and even it's Alura Vs. Superman/girl drama (it's being too drawn out for my tastes now), and I really don't like the idea of the writers insisting on Supergirl regressing to being "Superman's secret weapon" to where she can only operate as Supergirl when no one's around to notice her standing idly by yet apparently is more then welcomed by E-0 populace to operate as "Linda Lang" instead.

I'm sick of Zod, Ursa and Non now, I'm really really REALLY sick of Alura all together (will someone just chuck her in a Gold K emitting an all new Phantom Zone already. Yeesh) and just the "New Krypton" concept as a whole.

In having had said all of that though come latest issue out where we see Supergirl and her telling her mom to shut up and finally willing to stand up for herself is actually the kind of Supergirl I want back when said and done. Hell, I'd even settle for the 84 Supergril movie's own Supergirl's attitude including her strong unwavering sense of right from wrong upon her really settling in to her new Super heroic role like her iconic cuz, but I'm honestly starting to get really bored and tired of hearing that Supergirl will be hiding in the shadows in the near future when she should be able to run around the DCU freely without there being a ban on her including other Kryptonians being welcomed on the planet except for her cousin Superman. (Oh and Power Girl.)

My biggest concern is that when both "Who is Superwoman" arc as well as this whole Post-New Krypton cross over era has run it's course that it will leave me with a shattered mind body and soul afterwards Kara Zor-El/"Linda Lang"/Supergirl who'll the audience will get tired of and start to leave her title in droves because of it. I don't want that. I seriously don't. I want to have a more independent, experienced, wise and maturer Supergirl who can still retain some semblance of humor and who loves what she does and even in a friendly ribbing kind of way makes it her mission to not live in Superman's shadow but instead seeing it as being the other way around to the point of him living in her's with her confidence levels sparking through the roof and is at the same time still respected by the inhabitants of the Post-FC DCU E-0 continuity themselves at the end of the day (with the exception of the Super villains of course, heh) including a very proud cousin Superman while still having down to Earth and real out there intergalactic adventures/battles.

Anyways, it's as of now really early in the morn as I type this (try Sat 2:22 am) in my neck of the woods (Australia) and I'm sorry for this depressing soap box moan as such. (Including any badly written grammar.)

Yet again, I'm truly sorry to all writers involved but I have to be truthful in how I feel and even voice this feeling if need be because I think like other fellow minded fans of the girl of steel we should be entitled to do so, no? :/

Anj said...

sounds like they have a great grasp on the characters!

I can't wait for the reveal!

Oooo, can I put a last minute entry for the Superwoman poll?

.....

Bizzaro Supergirl.


Thanks for the post.

I plan to put up a new poll 2 weeks before the next issue's release date. I will include Bizarro Supergirl.

Anj said...

Sounds like they have great plans in the works for Supergirl. One thing I'd really like to see with this Linda Lang secret identity is for it to become the name that people who know her actually call her (instead of Kara) - like how Superman is called Clark by most people (instead of Kal).

We have only seen Linda Lang in one panel of this comic so who knows how people will address her.

It is true that in the Silver Age, most people (outside of Superman) called her Linda. We'll just have to see how much this Kara embraces the Linda identity.

Anj said...

My biggest concern is that when both "Who is Superwoman" arc as well as this whole Post-New Krypton cross over era has run it's course that it will leave me with a shattered mind body and soul afterwards Kara Zor-El/"Linda Lang"/Supergirl who'll the audience will get tired of and start to leave her title in droves because of it. I don't want that. I seriously don't. I want to have a more independent, experienced, wise and maturer Supergirl who can still retain some semblance of humor and who loves what she does

Thanks so much for the in depth post. I always admire the passion in your posts.

I will say going into New Krypton I was as concerned. Suddenly adding 100000 Kryptonians does take away how special Superman and Supergirl are. But so far the stories have been great so I am hopeful that there is a satisfactory ending here.

I think Supergirl acting for a short time in semi-hiding is okay but I agree that I don't want that dynamic for a long time.

I guess the bottom line is that I think that most of this storyline has been well thought out in advance (as seen in this interview). The writers are all high-quality guys who have yet to disappoint.

And I think Sterling Gates and Jamal Igle have expressed enough love for the Supergirl character to have her devolve into a shattered character. I have come to trust them.

Thanks again for the post.

TalOs said...

Sincere thanks, Anj. :)

Man I truly love this sweet blog of yours aimed for not only us HUGE Supergirl fans but the Super-family itself now too where we can voice our thoughts/opinions (whether they be good or bad) and not feel we have to watch our backs after doing so in fear of some troll wanting to flame the individual/s for it.

Anonymous said...

Well, let me enter a sweet vote of dissent, I love what these guys are doing with Kara. They have embraced her heritage and rejected the neglect that has crippled the character nigh these past thirty plus years.
I for one thought the character was on the high road to an early demise back when she was snuffing Kryptonian schoolchildren and swanning about starkers in front of her father...this, all of this is most needed and bracing Change for the Better.
2009 could be a big year for Supergirl, Superman is off planet, the Earth is set against her, now sounds the hunting horn, time for Cousin Kara prove herself worthy, time to Step Up to the A-List!
She can't be a heroine without big challenges...seems like back in the crystal spike days those appendages were an excuse to keep her on the shelf doing nothing but fret and moan.

As for General Zod, he is Superman's problem for now, though I'd pay good money to see Kara break Ursa's damn jaw with one punch!
It's keep her from shouting the praises of her leader like the groveling sycophant she is.
:D

John Feer

Anj said...

Man I truly love this sweet blog of yours aimed for not only us HUGE Supergirl fans but the Super-family itself now too where we can voice our thoughts/opinions (whether they be good or bad) and not feel we have to watch our backs after doing so in fear of some troll wanting to flame the individual/s for it.

Thank you.

I am glad that folks out there like the blog.

And I especially like it when some dialogue or dissent occurs. I think the discussions here are civil and like to hear what people think. Maybe I missed something or misjudged something.

Anj said...

Well, let me enter a sweet vote of dissent, I love what these guys are doing with Kara. They have embraced her heritage and rejected the neglect that has crippled the character nigh these past thirty plus years.
I for one thought the character was on the high road to an early demise back when she was snuffing Kryptonian schoolchildren and swanning about starkers in front of her father...this, all of this is most needed and bracing Change for the Better.


Thanks for the post.

I think Gates/Igle have been great for the title. I have loved what they have been doing.

I do think that a prolonged period of Supergirl moving at super-speed so she can't be seen and acting as an emergency weapon might be grow tiresome.

You are right in that the time is now for Supergirl to jump to the A leagues. The 'emergency weapon' angle (if prolonged) is not the way to get there.

All that said, I trust that Gates and Igle will lead her there. They have yet to disappoint.

Anonymous said...

Lets not forget the secret Emergency weapon thing did not fully last two and one half years in the Silver Age, given the kid-freindly tenor of the writing anyone could see it was gonna get sunsetted at some point or another.
Moreover much hay is made at Supergirl's expense at that time for her dutiful obedience to Kal El's admittedly harsh dictates (HIDE live in a Orphanage, I don't KNOW you!)...people forget that all thru this period Supergirl regularly saved Superman's bacon, preserved his secret identity, keep his good name unsullied and collected few rewards for it.
THAT part at least seems to be very much a part of the current storyline...
:D
John Feer