While Terrificon is my main showto attend, Granite State Comicon is always a on my convention season docket. One hour north into New Hampshire, the show has grown over the years of my attendance. It first was in the ballroom of the Hilton, then the expo center in the hotel, then both the ballroom and the expo center, and now the ballroom, expo center, and the arena across the street!
Every year they have a nice list of local artists in attendance with a smattering of bigger names. And each year there is someone I haven't met before. Interestingly enough, there aren't many comic dealers there. Instead, toys, shirts, posters, and other memorabelia dominate.
Still, if Terrificon is the main course, Granite State is the dessert of the season.
This year I was most excited to meet Steve Lieber. Lieber drew the fantastic Jimmy Olsen book that Matt Fraction wrote back in the Event Leviathan days. I loved that book. I hadn't seen Lieber at a show before so he was first on my list. Anything else I got at the show would almost gravy.
I got to his table right as the place opened on Saturday and was first on his commission list.
Love this sketch of my favorite hero, flying in the clouds and looking up to the sun. Nice use of copic markers to add some shade and depth to things as well.
So cool to add to the collection.
I got a few sigs along the way as well including Lieber's sig on the first two issues of that Jimmy book.
Given the insanity, I wondered how the scripts were done, Marvel Method or complete. Lieber said the scripts by Fraction were very detailed.
Because I comment on this these days, Lieber did not charge for sigs.
Becky Cloonan and Michael Conrad were also at the con. I have always been a fan of Cloonan and had met her at this con waaaaaay back in 2010.
I enjoyed the pair's run on Wonder Woman more than most so got them to sign a few issues including Wonder Woman #800.
Both had a 'first 5 sigs free' sign on their table!
I saw Craig Roussea was going to be at the show and I knew I wanted to thank him.
His color commission in my collection has been on my blog's banner for many years. His sketch of Supergirl is tightly linked to this place.
To thank him I had a coffee mug with the blog's banner made and give it to him as a gift.
Lastly, I did get Lieber's sig on my Superman Leviathan Rising special. I will always wave the Event Leviathan fan flag!
Dustin Nguyen was also present. I got him to sign a few of the Steph Brown Batgirl issues he did the cover art on. I also had him sign the variant cover of Superman World Of New Krypton #10.
There weren't many comic dealers there but I did get two pretty good issues to add to the collection.
Super-Villain Team-Up #1 and
Hercules Unbound #1 are now in my collection.
So all in all a great day for meeting creators and grabbing some books.
Did anyone else attend?
No comments:
Post a Comment