Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Absolute Superman, Dark Legion, And An Idea With Laurel Gand


I am a Legion of Super-Heroes fan. It is no surprise. I cover them here. I covered them at The Legion of Super-Bloggers. I love the IP.

We have gone through a couple of decades without a solid take on the Legion. Brian Bendis' efforts seemed to flame out and I think will probably be swept under the continuity rug. 

So I was a bit split in my reaction to the middle splash in the DC All In #1 Special

How great is it to see a Legion again, and one with relatively recognizable members! How great to see Dan Mora draw them! How terrible that it is a 'Dark Legion', part of the Absolute Universe! (I mean, I think that is Brainiac 5 in the lower left and he looks monstrous!)

But at least it is a Legion and them being introduced in this universe makes me hope that we will see one in the prime universe as well. 

Well, it got me thinking about the Absolute Universe a little more and perhaps the make-up of the team. 


Given the theme's of an older and alone and somewhat angry Superman that we have heard will be in Absolute Superman, I am going to guess that he is truly to sole survivor. At least, I think that will be the take at the beginning. 

So no Supergirl in this universe ... again, I am guessing here but reading the tea leaves. 

Perhaps there is room for a Supergirl analogue?


Why not plug in a version of Supergirl into the Dark Legion? 

It made me think about Laurel Gand in the 5YL Legion.

If Supergirl doesn't exist in Absolute and Superman was never Superboy in Absolute and there is no Jon in Absolute, then there is room for a Kara stand-in.

And given the times (there was no Kara Zor-El when 5YL hit the stands), I loved Laurel.

I went to one of my favorite resources, The Legion Companion, and looked for her origins. 


Here is a blurb from an interview with Tom and Mary Bierbaum describing the creation of the character. 

Someone needs to get a hold of Scott Snyder, someone with the pull of the Bierbaum's friends, and tell him that the time is ripe for a Laurel Gand reinvention! 

I know ... I know ... it'll be an evil Laurel Gand in an evil universe. But things can change! 

But what we really really need is a Legion book in the Prime Universe with heroes!!!

No comments: