Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Free Comic Book Day 2024


Free Comic Book Day is like a mini-holiday for me but one that I always forget to block out on my work schedule. Luckily this last Saturday I was working in the late evening so was able to partake of the festivities at two store, one my home store and the other a new store near my work place I am trying to support. 

I usually am looking forward to the DC output. I grabbed the Absolute Power preview to see if it could lure me into getting it. (I am planning on skipping the main story.) I don't think it changed my mind. The main story is by Mark Waid and Mikel Janin and gives us a peek into the main plot, Amanda Waller trying to destroy super-heroes. There is a sort of despair and venality to the proceedings. 


For one thing we see that Green Arrow is working with Waller. Way to go Ollie! I can only hope this is a ruse. I mean, why would Ollie want this?


Plus we get to see Waller try to drain a no-name villain named 'Haywire' to power some device only to have it explode his body with feedback, apparently this has happened to some others.

I knew Haywire. I read Haywire. Haywire was a friend of mine. And you 'Haywire' are no Haywire!!


The last pages are previews of the first issue showing Superman being shot. 

Ah well, I think I won't be getting this unless others tell me I should change my mind. 


The Mad Magazine comic was a fun romp. Hat tip to friend Martin Gray who told me I should grab it for this 'blink and you'll miss it appearance of the 1970's Nasty Luthor! Bring her back DC!!!



As for the rest of the day, I grabbed the Flash Gordon book for me because I might be getting it. I like the character and the creative team of Jeremy Adams and Will Conrad. If the purposes of these books are to entice a new reader to pick up the series, this one does its job!  Talk about starting a book off with a bang!


I visited my main store of New England Comics when the doors opened and was glad to see a small line outside waiting! Woo hoo!

Despite the store getting money from me weekly, I still want to support the store for the work they do on FCBD so I grabbed a Swamp Thing trade so I stop wearing out the floppies. NEC has a 2 book limit so that was the DC and Flash Gordon books.

I have been very impressed with Friar Tuck's Comics, a new store right outside Boston. This is a high-end comic store with tons of back issues and great deals. I was pretty pumped to see a small line outside their store too! They had a 4 issue limit. This time I grabbed kid books to give to younger relatives and lure them into the hobby. 

I definitely wanted to support this store which just opened its doors. So I filled two big holes in my collection, Amethyst #14 and Thor #329

Hope everyone had an awesome FCBD 2024 and would love to hear about other's experiences!

4 comments:

PT Dilloway said...

I don't really have a physical comic book store near me. I'm sure some of the stuff is on Amazon for free, but I haven't really looked yet.

Anonymous said...

Absolute Power is a hard skip from me as well, it seems like Superman et al get depowered annually to fuel some Multi issue event, its all gotten very predictable and boring.
JF

H said...

Surprisingly underwhelming- I got a bunch of books but nothing really hit me. Usually there’ll be at least one that catches my interest but everything seemed meh. The biggest surprise was that a guy I went to college with wrote the Space Ghost story. It looks like he’s mostly done Marvel stuff, so that’s probably why I wasn’t aware he was in the industry (I’m not much of a Marvel guy).

Alan said...

Don't know how I missed Mad. I saw it at a few shops, but it just never worked its way into the stack.