Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Ana Nogueira Named As Supergirl Movie Screen Writer

 

Over on Instagram, James Gunn posted that the screenwriter Ana Nogueira has been named as for the Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow movie. Here is the post.

"A hearty public welcome to Ana Nogueira to the DC Studios family. Ana is an amazing writer whose screenplay adaptation of Woman of Tomorrow is above and beyond anything I hoped it would be. We’re excited to be moving forward on this unique take on Supergirl in this beautiful, star-spanning tale."

Incredibly, it sounds like the script is already written! This is a movie that is years away from being made. And given the recent downtrend in profits for super-hero movies, I wonder if this will ever come to pass. 

I was hoping that perhaps the movie being based on Woman of Tomorrow might change but that seems set for now. I wonder how Gunn can call that story a 'beautiful, star-spanning tale'. It certainly doesn't help that the picture Gunn chose shows Kara with a bloody sword, but here we are.

But the big news, of course, was that Nogueira was named. I have to admit, the name is new to me. She is mostly known for being an actress on 'The Vampire Diaries'. That is a show that slipped under my radar.

For writing, she is best known for an off-broadway play called
 Which Way to the Stage. It is hard to judge anything based on a wiki synopsis of a play so I won't. I just hope that Nogueira read more than just Woman of Tomorrow when she formulated who Supergirl is as a character.

For more coverage, here is an article over on Variety. It reminded me that Gunn called the movie 'more hard-core'.

Anyways, I'll lean into this community for help. If anyone has seen Nogueira act or has seen the play, please leave a comment!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Gunn wants to get this film made because he wants it to be an Oscar contender. The DCEU, or DCU, or whatever it is now, is down in the dumps, but an Oscar-winning film attached to it will lift it a little.

I also sincerely don't think that with the downtrend of superhero films, anything other than Superman and Batman (and maybe Wonder Woman) will work very well at the Box office.

Martin Gray said...

Well, that quote at Variety from James Gunn destroyed any hope I had that maybe the film won’t be as soul crushingly depressing for Kara fans as was Tom King’s story. I hope it never gets made.

Anonymous said...

I'd lay even odds that this film may never ever actually get made, it's been over two years since DC has released a film that did any kind of business at all. I read a headline a week ago indicating that Discovery/Warner Brothers made more money off the "Batgirl" tax write off than they made off of "The Flash" in totality. In the interim, Shazam: Fury of the Gods bombed, Black Adam bombed, Blue Beetle bombed, anyone out there think Aquaman 2 is somehow gonna break the pattern?
Meanwhile The Hollywood Reporter and Variety are both openly discussing "Superhero Fatigue" an issue that afflicts all the players at Disney Discovery-WB and beyond. Is anyone else amazed than amidst the wreckage of endless good-characters-brought low by substandard writing and empty hotshot directing that yes SOMEHOW Warner Brothers knows how to make and market a good "Barbie" movie??
If somehow this gets made, it'll bomb like the rest, maybe enough to bring down Zaslav...who knows...but I am skeptical it'll ever get made at this point.

JF

Anonymous said...

Far from finding it "soul crushingly depressing," this longtime and passionate Kara fan thought King's "Woman of Tomorrow" was beautiful, just as Gunn says. And far from hoping the film never gets made, I am looking forward to it with enormous excitement and anticipation.