Friday, February 17, 2023

Back Issue Box: Superman #315


I recently completed my coverage of Superman #311-314 on the site, taking a deep dive into a convoluted story that focused on Superman's code against killing and had some tremendous Supergirl moments.

And while I have the recent Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes movie sitting on my blu-ray to review as well as the Scholastic Backstories novelette to review, I thought I would just finish up this coverage with a bit of an epilogue from Superman #315. And I will end with a question for the audience.

I will start by saying that I will not be reviewing the bulk of the issue despite this winner of a cover showing Superman being defeated by Clark Kent (!!) who has become Black Rock. But it is a bananas story by writer Marty Pasko who was really leaning into his creation of SKULL, a nefarious super-science criminal conglomerate! Instead I'll focus on the first couple of pages which wrap up the fate of Nam-Ek who played such a huge role in the prior arc. 

The art is again by Curt Swan with inks by Dan Adkins. Swan was THE Superman artist in the Bronze Age and he brings his style and solid art foundation to the book. But it is Adkins who brings a real polish to the art here. I wonder if we should have some sort of poll of best Swan inkers (although perhaps we should say 'after Murphy Anderson'). 

But let's take a last look at poor Nam-Ek, the ever-healing, immortal, stench-bedeviled, Rondor mutate.


For giggles, let's start with the opening splash even if I'm not covering the story.

"Good evening Superman ... I'm Clark Kent and you're not" is a pretty lengthy title. But I love the absurdity of this 2 panel jaunt. Superman taken out by Black Rock. But Black rock is wearing dress slacks and a belt? 

And then under the green shirt and cowl is a full suit and Clark Kent?? 

How could this not grab you??


You may remember that in the prior story, an addled Nam-Ek was battling the super-cousins. In a brilliant move, Superman fashioned a prism around Nam-Ek which cut out the yellow sun rays, leaving him powerless within the crystal cage.

But now what to do with him? Nam-Ek's immortality has left him insane?

The easiest answer it seems is to toss him in the Phantom Zone.

And so, a question.

Was this the right decision? Was this just?

I was thinking perhaps Superman could find a red sun world to put Nam-Ek on. But it would need to be uninhabited or Nam-Ek could still be a problem. Then I thought what Nam-Ek really needs is some counseling. Could he be put in a place where he could not cause damage but other immortals ... The Spectre or the Guardians ... could help him? Or is this all wishful thinking.

Like Supergirl, I suppose Nam-Ek is already immortal so perhaps being in the Zone would give him company, even if it is the PZ villains. But what is the bigger torment, immortality on the physical plane? Or as a wraith?

Was this a good decision by Superman?


We do see how Superman still utilized Nam-Ek's healing ability to cure the victims of the Journalists' Disease before imprisoning him. 

It was nice to see Supergirl be part of the action and treated so well by her cousin. 

And I just adore the idea of Superman hoping to just have a day to kick back, put his hands behind his head, and relax. That 3rd row of panels is precious!

So how did Nam-Ek do?


 Well the time in the Phantom Zone didn't quell his violent tendencies. As we saw in the Phantom Zone mini-series (like here in Phantom Zone #2 ) even when faced with kindness, he lashes out. 

Perhaps being thrust into the Zone where compounded his madness.

And with that, I will leave the 70's for a bit and get back to current times!

7 comments:

Steve said...

Too bad Star Trek The Next Generation was years away to inspire holodecks in other media. That would have been ideal but they had to work with what they had. Maybe they shoud have had Nam Ek released one thousand years in the future when Imra Ardeen found a cure?

Martin Gray said...

I see what you did there, Steve!

I’m fine with Nam-Ek going to the Phantom Zone, he was very much the author of his own misfortune, being, you know, a selfish criminal scumbag.

Anj said...

Great point Marv. I suppose I was hanging it on Superman saying it was Nam-Ek's insanity that prompted the PZ trip. I suppose all the Rondor business on Krypton was never settled.

H said...

Beat me to it, Steve! I was going to make a Mon-El reference.

I don't know if things would have been any better for Nam-Ek outside of the Phantom Zone. There's just so much going on there that something would have triggered him eventually. Even Gold Kryptonite would be a risky move- who knows how it'd affect him? Probably best to just keep him contained for now.

Anonymous said...

Supposedly, in an earlier Supergirl story in the SMF Dollar Books, Kara got into major legal trouble in Kandor for shipping a rogue Kryptonian "Girl Scientist" Shyla something-or-other off to the Phantom Zone...without a trial. I guess there is room for only one Kryptonian-Judge-Jury-Executioner on Earth and that is Superman not his Dishy Blonde Cousin.
I mean I could ramble on about the double standard at play here...but it's late, the wind is blowing high and a Snifter of Brandy is calling to me.

JF

Kinofreak said...

Please review that weird Superman Story!

Rob S. said...

Honestly, whether it's Nam Ek or any of the other Phantom Zone criminals, having them show up to bedevil the Legion is a great idea.

I'm fine with Nam Ek being tossed in the Zone, but it seems like Superman should have said something about trying to find a cure for his insanity (like he did with Mon-El, or Kandor). The cure doesn't have to come about soon, but it seems like something that should have been on his agenda.

One thing about that story title: "Good Evening, Superman. I'm Clark Kent... and You're Not!" is a parody of Chevy Chase's standard opening on Weekend Update on SNL: "Good evening. I'm Chevy Chase...and you're not." Another reference that sailed right past me as a kid!

Thanks for doing these books, Anj! They're obviously very special to me.