Friday, October 29, 2021

2021 Jack-O-Lanterns


One of my favorite Halloween traditions is carving jack-o-lanterns. You can hit the link to see some of my assorted pumpkins from yesteryear (as well as some comic reviews relevant to the holidays).

I have decided that each year I will try to do a Legionnaire for a pumpkin, having done Sensor Girl, Wildfire, and Monster Boy so far.

This year, I went to Twitter to ask for some suggestions and got a ton of great ideas. But several people thought Quislet would be a fun one to try. 

Given the complexity of the other carving I was going to try, I figured Quislet was a good comic character to try. His design is relatively easy.

I am a big fan of the Baxter era and loved the quirky Quislet so hope you like this!

I have decided to add the Legion 'L' in the carvings but I have been starting to think that should room be available on the pumpkin that I should add the monitor board symbol as well. Quislet's looks something like a Scottish thistle which seems appropriate since old friend Martin Gray was one of the folks who suggested him!

The second jack-o-lantern is Alfred Hitchcock. I was asked to do the famous drawn silhouette of Hitchcock from his television show. But that seemed a bit too simple. So I tried to do some version of Hitch himself next to the silhouette (given he walked out on the show's beginning to match up). 

These are always tough so hope it looks okay!

Happy Halloween everyone! Hope you get more treats than tricks!

1 comment:

Martin Gray said...

Someone has surgical training, it seems! These are ruddy brilliant, as ever!

Just imagine, a Legion film directed by Hitch. It’d have to feature the Espionage Squad!