Saturday, November 15, 2014

Convergence


News of DC's Convergence has spread like wildfire throughout the internet and I will begrudgingly admit to being interested in some of what is happening.

Here are links from the usual sites to discuss.

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/dc-announces-10-convergence-titles-featuring-steph/1100-150368/

http://comicsalliance.com/dc-comics-announces-its-2015-event-convergence-but-what-does-it-mean-for-the-dcu/

http://www.newsarama.com/22683-dc-s-convergence-week-one-donna-troy-oracle-married-superman-montoya-question-more.html
 
For someone like me who simply hasn't fully embraced the New 52 universe, who miss the original Wally, and Donna Troy, and the Steph Brown Batgirl, and the Supergirl of Sterling Gates and James Peaty, this Convergence stunt is a little balm.

It's not that I like all the universes they are bringing back (Flashpoint? Really?). But seeing the Silver Age Charlton heroes, old school JSA, a true Marvel Family, and Freedom Fighters is great.

And now they have announced some of the titles happening over those 2 months. Here are the ones that grabbed me.


JUSTICE LEAGUE
Writer: Frank Tieri
Artist: Vicente Cifuentes
When Supergirl, Zatanna, and Jade went to Jessie Quick's baby shower, they didn't expect to be taken to another planet for a year, or to be attacked by Flashpoint Aquaman.

This is a riff on James Robinson's Justice League. This was the 'legacy' League with Dick Graysonas Batman, Superman, Jade, Donna Troy, and Jessie Quick. (It also had Congorilla and Starman.) So I will happily revisit this group. I miss all those characters.

Too bad we couldn't get Stering Gates or Robinson (currently at Marvel) to handle these issues. I guess one of these blondes is Kara and the other is Jessie.


I think I liked that run more than many. Kara was the muscle and her relationship with Batman was great. And Donna was just fierce.


SUPERMAN
Writer: Dan Jurgens
Artist Lee Weeks and Dan Jurgens/Norm Rapmund
Superman and Lois deal with the impending birth of their child as he is called in to protect the city.

Don't like Superman being with Diana? Wish he was still married to Lois? Wish Dan Jurgens was still on the super-books? Like Lee Weeks' art on the recent Sand Superman crossover in Futures End?

Well this book is for you! And for me! Huzzah!


BATGIRL
Writer: Alisa Kwitney
Artist: Rick Leonardi and Mark Pennington
After a year in the dome, Stephanie Brown is not sure she wants to be Batgirl again. But when Flashpoint Catman attacks, Red Robin and Black Bat call her back into service.

I miss the Steph Brown Batgirl book so much. So I am happy to see that she is coming back albeit briefly. And Black Bat and Red Robin are there as well! Too fantastic.

Nothing against Alisa Kwitney but how can you do a Steph Brown Batgirl book and not have Bryan Q. Miller write it??

So despite snubbing my nose at the idea when it first was announced, DC has sprinkled enough old glory out there to make me interested.

Insane.

5 comments:

Jay said...

It sounds like an interesting idea, especially if it does as I hope and kinda put a bow on these alternate continuities, giving some of them proper endings, and just hope not all of them are tragic (you know there's gonna be lots of death).

Too bad they didn't make Lois pregnant before the reboot. Being so reluctant to take that step is what stagnated the marriage for me. I hope these two characters make it out of the story okay, to make up for the treatment of Earth Two Superman years ago.

Anonymous said...

Oh C'Mon Flashpoint is awesome. Sure on of the appeals of it was that it was already at it's boiling point when the story takes place, but I still want to see more of that universe.
Not really interested in any of the Post Crisis DCU, as a reader who jumped on from the New 52 I don't really have any interest in it.
However I can't wait to see the classic Marvel Family, I hope it takes place on Earth S from Pre Crisis. There's also a bunch of other Pre Crisis and alternate reality/time line stories that I would absolutly love to read.

Anonymous said...

See, readers who dislike New52 would go for Convergence, while New52 fans would be bored (or at least confused)at Convergence. If you are not well-versed in DC's multiple worlds, it might be hard to make sense of Convergence.

Anj said...

Thanks for comments.

It is interesting Jay ... as you say. New readers won't know any of these worlds. Old readers will embrace it. Welcome to the problems of the DCU!

I might like Flashpoint more if it weren't yet another dystopia. We have had so many in DC recently, it feels like 'just another story'.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Another great story!
Aw well, so it ain't for me, that's fine I just get to save up some cash. I'm sure the main book that ties into this will be for everybody.