Wednesday, July 10, 2013

October 2013 Solicits

The October solicits for DC Comics are now available in a bunch of places but Comic Book Resources displays them  here. This is the post-Villains month experiment and while Forever Evil seems to be churning away, the main titles seem pretty safe from any stench of another blighted crossover. Between putting a bunch of title I care about on hold during the Villains month, the Forever Evil crossover, and the leaked news of a killing Superman in the Trinity War, I have simply grown fatigued with DC and their viewpoint on their characters and titles.

In some ways that fatigue is concerning to me as a fan. At first all the shenanigans at DC made me pretty upset. Then the nonsense became so non-stop that my fury devolved to mildly irritated and led to a lot of eye-rolling. Now I am tired of it. The next stop on this train? Probably dropping books and moving to a different universe.

Anyways, here are the Super-books and my thoughts.



SUPERGIRL #24
Written by MICHAEL ALAN NELSON
Art and cover by MAHMUD ASRAR

Brainiac and Cyborg Superman fight for the fate of Kara Zor-El! And when the cosmic dust settles, wait till you see the secret behind the villains and their shocking connection to Supergirl!

Man, that is one beautiful cover by Mahmud Asrar. It invokes old-school movie posters with the image of Kara forming the backbone of this art. I love how the villains are fighting inside her, fighting over her.

I do worry a bit that Supergirl is a spectator in this story, especially given this solicit, but hopefully she is  pro-active. And for the 'shocking connection' ... I wonder if the Cyborg Superman was one of Zor-El's scientist partners. Could his existence be based on some World-Killer type experiments?

But that cover! Spectacular.


ACTION COMICS #24
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art and cover by TYLER KIRKHAM

When Brainiac shrunk Metropolis, they were infected in the process. Now, Superman battles their effects on the city—and the secrets of “The Twenty” are revealed!

The Greg Pak era begins in the following month in the book. Scott Lobdell and Tyler Kirkham wrap up their mini-run on the book with this issue. 

I don't know why the Oracle is on the cover here but not mentioned in the solicit. Going back to the Brainiac/Collector Morrison story is interesting. I wonder if "The Twenty" are twenty high rollers trying to influence world events. My guess is that actor seen last month is one of them.



SUPERMAN #24
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art and cover by EDDY BARROWS and EBER FERREIRA

“Psi War” comes to a shocking conclusion as one of the people closest to Superman becomes a casualty—and then, cometh the Oracle to tell Superman that Krypton lives once more!

I  am a big fan of Eddy Barrows and will be happy to see him draw Supergirl again. I wouldn't mind him being the go to pinch hitter if Rocafort needs a month off now and then. And this cover is interesting with the Daily Planet Globe on the ground and the Super-family looking downright collegial, assessing a threat together!

And thus the 'Krypton Returns' story begins.


ACTION COMICS ANNUAL #2
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by KENNETH ROCAFORT, DAN JURGENS and NORM RAPMUND
Cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT

Part 1 of “KRYPTON RETURNS,” continuing next month! What does this mean to the Universe? Superman, Supergirl and Superboy are enlisted by the Oracle to go back to their homeworld and correct what the villainous H’El has done! This epic adventure spans eons, from Krypton’s savage past of Clones to the very minutes before Kal-El’s ship is sent into space! You only think you know what happened in the last days of Krypton!

I talked about this annual before here so no need to reinvent the wheel.

That said, between this issue and the H'El issue during Villains month, I better get some explanation of his powers and motivations. 


SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #4
Written by SCOTT SNYDER
Art and cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS
Backup story art by DUSTIN NGUYEN
1:300 BandW Variant cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS

Retailers: This issue will ship with eleven covers.
Superman rushes to stop Ascension’s attack and kicks off a huge battle with Wraith! Besieged on all sides, Superman has no choice but to call in some powerful friends...

I rarely comment on these sort of things here but ... ELEVEN covers! That's ridiculous. Alas it is still just 21% of the insane 52 covers of JLA #1.

Ascension was name-dropped enough in the first issue to obviously be part of this story. Who will the powerful friends be? Supergirl? Justice League?

I do hope Snyder explores the relationship between Kal and Kara at some point in this book. I trust him more than Lobdell.



SUPERBOY #24
Written by JUSTIN JORDAN
Art by ROBSON ROCHA
Cover by BRETT BOOTH

Superboy faces a foe he cannot begin to beat! The battle will tear him apart and reveal the truth of what Dr. Psycho has been secretly planning all along!


Given the 'helmet' on the villain and the rest of his costume, I think that is a new Psycho Pirate. And I would love it ... LOVE IT ... if this guy was insane and rambled on now and then about multiple Earths and monitors. Wouldn't that be great!

And I think we all knew Dr. Psycho wasn't going along for the good of mankind. So I wonder what his true motivations are. 

Anyways, Robson Rocha is on art here. We have seen him pinch-hitting throughout the DC books these last months. Could this be where he lands?



BATMAN/SUPERMAN #4
Written by GREG PAK
Art and cover by JAE LEE

It’s the conclusion of the first arc in this series as one world dies and another lives! Plus: We discover why Superman and Batman have no memory of this tragic first adventure.

Now this solicit grabbed my attention. Could the Earth 1 Batman and Superman have been on Earth 2 when the Apokolips invasion happened? Could they have witnessed the deaths of their doppelgangers? Now that would be a good story to read.

I didn't review the first issue but I thought it was good with stunning artwork by Jae Lee.


SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #1
Written by CHARLES SOULE
Art by TONY S. DANIEL and BATT
Cover by TONY S. DANIEL
1:25 Superman Variant cover by CLIFF CHIANG
1:25 Wonder Woman Variant cover by AARON KUDER
1:100 BandW Variant cover by TONY S. DANIEL
“We Can Be Heroes” Blank variant cover available

Beginning a bold new series that details the relationship between The Man of Steel and the Warrior Princess as rising star writer Charles Soule is joined by fan favorite artist Tony S. Daniel to tell the tale of a romance that will shake the stars themselves. These two super-beings love each other, but not everyone shares their joy. Some fear it, some test it—and some will try to kill for it. Some say love is a battlefield, but where Superman and Wonder Woman are concerned it spells Doomsday!
This issue features an amazing wraparound gatefold cover that opens up to a triptych with Superman and Wonder Woman in the center!


So do I collect this book or not?
I really don't like the Superman/Wonder Woman romance. I don't know if I would want to read a book teaming them up all the time and exploring their relationship.

That said, Charles Soule as a writer is a draw. I liked Tony Daniel's work on Action. And at least the book seems to acknowledge the Wonder Woman main book. This might be a one issue trial run.

Anyone else excited about this book?



WORLDS’ FINEST #16
Written by PAUL LEVITZ
Art by R.B. SILVA and JOE WEEMS
Cover by EMANUELA LUPACCINO

Can Karen go on after she loses her powers while trying to defend Huntress from DeSaad’s attack?

So RB Silva is doing art here and not on Superboy. Is this his new gig? I have to say his thicker lined grungier style might not be a good fit for these characters.

Hopefully there is some explanation about the powerless nature of Power Girl. Remember, it needs to jibe with the timeline of these characters who have been in hiding for 4 years on Earth 1. I hope this isn't a 'she can't absorb this Earth's yellow sun rays' explanation because she had full powers for nearly half a decade! Maybe some radiation issue from Hakkou?



ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #6
Written by J.T. KRUL
Art by MARCUS TO
Cover by MITCH BREITWEISER

A young Superman faces a threat like he’s never seen before when a powerful alien warlord named Mongul shows up on Earth’s doorstep looking for trouble! Will Superman heed the counsel of his Kryptonian father? Or will the words of a certain silver-tongued Phantom Zone prisoner cloud his judgment?

It is a shame that we didn't get more creators listed here. That is, unless Krul and To did them all. I am a big Marcus To fan so I am glad to see him on the book. And a Mongul appearance! Excellent.

I still hope that there will be a super-family story here at some point.

This book has been wonderful so far. Fantastic.



SMALLVILLE SEASON 11 #18
Written by BRYAN Q. MILLER
Art by JORGE JIMENEZ
Cover by CAT STAGGS

Diana’s mysterious past may hold the key to helping Superman stop Faust in the present—but the warlock isn’t working alone! Enter Hades, Lord of the Underworld! “Olympus” continues in part 3 of 4.

Nothing but goodness here. I love that Wonder Woman shows up in Smallville. I am sure we are building up to a Crisis moment which is going to bring together a true Justice League. So why not Wonder Woman.

I think the best Superman/Wonder Woman stories put Superman on Olympus or interacting with the Greek Gods. In those stories, Superman is usually out of his element, cringing at being a farmboy amongst the immortals.



SMALLVILLE SEASON 11 SPECIAL #3
Written by BRYAN Q. MILLER
Art by BENI LOBEL
Cover by CAT STAGGS

In the one-shot tale “Hollow,” newly digitized Tess Mercer is faced with the ultimate question: Can she set aside her obsession with getting revenge on her brother, Lex Luthor, to become the hero Metropolis’s protectors know she’s destined to become?

Early on in the Smallville book, the 'Lex possessed by Tess' storyline was my favorite subplot. So I was ecstatic to see that arc get an epilogue/special of its own. Obviously Tess is the 'Oracle' of the Smallville universe. So I like the hint that she is going to become a 'hero'. But she is also a Luthor with all that psychological baggage.

That is a haunting cover by Cat Staggs!
 
So this is a heavy month with a lot of action.  That unfortunately means a lot of cash!

6 comments:

Martin Gray said...

Cheers for the round-up, Anj. I like the idea of that Supergirl cover but the execution is off for me - perhaps of Kara weren't such a helmet head, with the current hairdo. And that cord bisecting the image doesn't help.

I love the Superman cover though, I'm also a sucker for the Super Family looking like a team. And Eddy Barrows' positioning of Superman let's us pretend Superman is wearing his real costume - no collar or blue crotch on display!

How excited am I for the Superman/WW book? Let me count the ways. 0, -1, -2, zzzz ...

When reading the solicits, do you ever wonder what the writer's first language is?

Anonymous said...

There are some truly beautiful covers here.

How gorgeous is Cat Staggs cover of Clark with Hades for Smallville Season 11? I can't wait to see BQM handle Diana and I can't wait to see Diana and Lois interact. I know I can count on BQM.

What's funny is that it's clear in reading the solicit for the Superman/Wonder Woman book that they are trying really hard to establish this as some kind of "forbidden love" or "star crossed" in order to make it interesting.

The problem is...Superman and Wonder Woman are too powerful and frankly, too PRIVILEGED to feel sorry for.

They are two uber powerful, gorgeous, privileged people. It's very hard for me to feel any kind of compelling sympathy if people are "afraid" or "mean" to them.

Lois and Clark managed the "forbiden love" dramatic story element because Lois is mortal and it truly was this idea of two people from different worlds falling in love. They had a healthy romance and marriage but if you wanted to tell a story of "forbidden love" you could. See Superman 2.

But with these two? It just doesn't work. I'm not going to feel sorry for two super gorgeous people with that much physical privilege.

It continues to feel like they are forcing this "love story" on two characters who just aren't suited for it and aren't suited for each other. I can't imagine them having passion for each other bc it would just be horrifically out of character. Passion for each other for what?

But Olympus? That looks wonderful.


--Shades

LJ-90 said...

I'm really excited about Smallville, Olympus and Hollow.
Didn't knew about Superman killing during Trinity War, well...that means that I'm done with the new52, I'm only reading Smallville starting now.
And hey, Anj, speaking of "moving to a different universe" have you ever tried to read Ultimate Comics Spider-Man? I know it's Marvel and an "alternate universe" but Miles Morales is a great character, and I really mean it, I think you would love that book, it has all the things you want: a young character starting the hero's journey, trying to live up to a big mantle, has a lot of heart, has amazing writing, lovely art and it's really really funny. It's like Vibe (which I really like, but much better) Maybe you could check the trade for the first arc "Who is Miles Morales?", if you do, I bet you would fall in love with it in a second.

Like you, I can't get excited for the Supermann/WW book, I have no interest in their relationship, but I'm totally excited for Olympus though, even more when BQM confirmed in twitter that Diana won't interfiere in the Clark/Lois romance!

Jay said...

I'm extremely excited for Superman/Wonder Woman. Putting Doomsday in the mix for the first issue just makes me look forward to it even more.

PRgirl1294 said...

For those of you who are interested in Jon Lane Kent, the Teen Titans annual #2 has Kon and the rest of the Titans fighting him. Now I know that some of you may see the Teen Titans books as less than good quality, but this story could lead to some interesting stories regarding Superman and his family.

Martin Gray said...

Oh blimey, PRGirl, I'm so not going to be buying this one. JLK is the worst character this side of Harvest and H'el.

Still, I hope everyone who buys this annual enjoys it.