Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Ale Garza Commission - Boston Comic Con Wrap-Up


It has been a trying couple of weeks in the Boston area with the terrorist bombings and subsequent manhunt for those responsible. I am proud of my city, my state, and my country for the handling of this situation.

An unfortunate consequence of this tragedy was the cancellation of the Boston Comic Con. I was looking forward to the show. As I said in earlier posts, there were plenty of creators I wanted to meet and greet. I have been a fan of the show since it started and understand the chaos this must have caused. Hopefully, all those affected - fans and creators alike - will be patient as things get sorted out.

Now luckily, some of the local stores around the area decided to contact some of the creators in town and set up some in-store signings and appearances.Comicazi, Friendly Neighborhood Comics Larry's Comics, and Comicopia all had 'mini-cons' and some of the guests appearing in their stores.

I decided to head with a friend to Comicazi to meet the guests that were there. The announced guests included Tim Sale, Ming Doyle, Dan Rosa, Tim Seeley, David Mack, and Agnes Grabowska. I had little to get signed by those folks but I wanted to thank those creators for sticking around and helping the community.

Amazingly, more artists just showed up including Ale Garza and Nick Bradshaw. While Ale Garza drew some of the 'crystal hell, kill Kal-El' story arc, he has history with Supergirl, one of the criteria for me to grab a commission. I also thought his anime-flavored work was pretty dynamic, raw in some place in a vibrant way. So out of sheer luck, I was able to grab a commission this weekend.

This is a nice addition to my collection, a mix of pencils, black ink, and copic gray marker highlights. I especially like the expression of Supergirl's face


Thanks to Comicazi and the other stores for putting these last minute mini-shows together.

This was the first time that I have been to this store and I was pretty impressed with it. It is a narrow store but every inch ... I mean every single inch ... of it is filled with merchandise to peruse and purchase. It has an enormous toy section and a very comprehensive trade section. There is a modest back issue section. Definitely worth checking out if you are a comic fan.

I'll look forward to the re-planned Boston Con as well!

4 comments:

Diabolu Frank said...

Nifty piece! Garza came to town a couple of years ago, but I couldn't swing his rates. I'd have dug seeing a Nick Bradshaw or Tim Seeley too, but I'm sure the circumstances were less than ideal. I hope things work out for the rescheduled Boston Comic Con...

MOCK! said...

I always do my Mass comic shopping in Worcester...I've tried Comicopia once or twice. While I give Larry's major props for spearheading some of the alternate plans last weekend, I've tried to stop by his place twice and both times I found the store shuttered despite the sign saying it should be open.

I couldn't make the original date work for the Con but I am definitely going to be keeping my eye on its rescheduled date.

Anj said...

Thanks for the comments.

I debated a Tim Seeley piece but the line stretched out the door and I wanted to move out so others could move in.

MOCK, what store in Worcester?

I keep hearing rumors of August or September.

MOCK! said...

I'm a big fan of "That's Entertainment"...they always seems to have the back issues I'm looking for...plus they do two monthly trivia contests where you can win $10 each in store credit...I try to enter before a road trip!