Thursday, September 26, 2019

Sales Review: August 2019


The sales numbers for August have been posted and, as always, ICv2 has a nice breakdown. Here is a link:https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/44052/top-500-comics-august-2019

It is an interesting month to cover here because there isn't a Supergirl book to track! The issue with the Legion was pulled back given a need for an art change and so we went a while without a Supergirl book on the rack.

This also was true of Superman.

So instead, I'll pick a couple of ancillary books to look at and see how they are doing.


Event Leviathan #3 came out.

I have been all in on this book. I have loved the mystery. I have loved tracking the clues. I have loved Lois's part. And I have been going bananas trying to figure out just who Leviathan is.

I mean, I have a Leviathan Theory!

I have really hoped the book would sell well because I love mysteries like this.

So how did it do?



It continues to do well.

It ranked 26th over all and had 49885 units ordered.

I think that's still a win.

I love this book, even if my guess is ultimately wrong.


We also have a couple of ancillary super-titles out there and they couldn't be any more different.

Lois Lane remains a street level, kinda noir, news-driven story.

Jimmy Olsen is a Silver Age romp with tremendous humor infused with the craziness.



Lois Lane #2 ranked 83rd and sold 25071.
In this day and age, that is solid.

Jimmy Olsen #2 ranked 94th and sold 21880.
I guess it is a little bit of a silly book which might have a different audience. Also, Lois Lane seems to have more impact in the main books. That might also impact sales.

Either way, these are both selling well. I wonder if either will sell strong enough to warrant the consideration for a monthly.

Next month's review will have two Supergirl issues!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Superman was delayed but still came out at the end of August, plus there's Action if you were interested in those numbers too.

Superman #14 ranked 32nd with 46,099

Action #1014 ranked 39th with 41,801

(Tried a few times to post from iPhone - not that easy but can usually be accomplished, but not apparently this time. Apologies if a duplicate eventually shows up!)

T.N.

SimB said...

Can someone please educate me on why there is a disparity between the Action and Superman titles?
If I had a comic store where I live I certainly wouldn't be buying only one of the two and as a trade waiting I will be getting both.

Glad to see Leviathan selling ok, but I hope it picks up speed for the trades so we can get more events related to the Superfamily titles instead of Bat Bat Bat Bat Bat all the time.
With the sales on the Lois and Jimmy minis, if an ongoing for each isn't warranted, then maybe a joint quarterly could work?? Two separate stories in a 64pg book maybe?

Oh well thanks for the insight as usual Dr Ang

SimB said...

Sorry Dr ANJ

Professor Feetlebaum said...

Wonder if the Derrick Chew variants will have a significant impact on Supergirl's sales? Guess we'll find out soon enough.

According to Comichron, there has ALWAYS been a disparity in sales between the Action and Superman titles. Back in the 60s, when comics were sold at grocery stores, drug stores, liquor stores and news stands, Superman routinely outsold Action:

1960: Superman 810,000 Action Comics 458,000
1965: Superman 823,829 Action Comics 525,254
1966: Superman 719,976 Action Comics 491,135
1967: Superman 649,300 Action Comics 420,900
1968: Superman 636,400 Action Comics 423,000

The same seems to be true of Batman and Detective Comics, at least in the two years I checked. Also, Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane and Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen outsold Action.

Now this is only a guess, for no one knows for sure, but I think it had to do with the character's name being in the title. Someone wanting to read about Superman would be more likely to pick up a comic titled "Superman" than one titled "Action Comics" even though Superman was featured in both. I'm sure that's why DC has sometimes emphasized Superman's name over "Action Comics" on the covers.

I would support monthly Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen comics, or a single comic featuring both. It will never happen, but I think it might help if some books were sold on a less than monthly schedule. Up until around 1970, Superman only came out 8 times a year. Many books were bi-monthly (every other month). Some lesser selling titles might benefit from a reduced publishing schedule, but like I said, it will never happen.