Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Supergirl Show Villain: The Lumberjack?


It seems like Supergirl show leaks and information has been flowing pretty regularly lately. I suppose nuggets of information like this build up excitement and anticipation for the show. And I, for one, love them.

The latest is a leak of an early villain for the show as discussed on TV Line. Here is the link:
http://tvline.com/2015/01/30/nashville-season-3-rayna-deacon-spoilers/

And the blurb:
Do you have any scoop on the upcoming Supergirl TV Show? –SuperSurfSurf
Kara Danvers née Zor-El will have her work cut out for her from the get-go, seeing as her adversary in the series pilot will be the DC Comics baddie Lumberjack. To that end, the CBS freshman is seeking a hulk akin to “Rory McCann, the 6-foot-6 actor from Game of Thrones”  to play this “big, burly monster of a man, who has battled Kara’s cousin” — that’d be you-know-who — “in the past” and shows up to ascertain her level of power, on behalf of an unseen superior.

I don't have Wonder Woman #268, apparently the only issue in which The Lumberjack appears. I suppose I will try to find it prior to the show. But he seems like he'd be cannon fodder for a Kryptonian.

Now it seems as if most people are jumping on the fact that Superman is indirectly mentioned meaning he exists in this universe. I don't know why that seems to be surprising people. It is clear he won't be appearing on the show. But his existence is crucial to defining Supergirl and who she is.

For me, the bigger line was that an unseen superior is getting a measure of Kara. It would be easy to think it is Lex Luthor. But I figure the creative team wants to be linked but not handcuffed to Superman. And given Luthor is going to be on the big screen, it is very unlikely.

I also wondered about announced characters - like Hank Henshaw, who in the comics historically was the Cyborg Superman.


But I hope they make the big bad in this first season a Supergirl specific villain. And so I think it is going to be some version of Blackstarr. She can be a scientific genius. She could even be warped to be a bit more mystical.

So who do you think is the big bad?

9 comments:

elknight20 said...

I was wondering when you weregoing to cover this! ^___^

Anonymous said...

More Supergirl TV news! Yay! ...and personally, if this were handled right, this could be a) a way to set up a link to, but not handcuff
things to Superman, and b) give us the hero-on-the-start-of-a-journey Supergirl.

Personally, what I'm envisioning for the pilot episode so far is pretty much how they've described Kara so far -- that she's been in
hiding for the last few years due to Superman's request, a la New 52 of the world not trusting superheroes, or him simply wanting to
protect his cousin. The "hidden villan" could play nicely as an ongoing arc of a hidden face, watching and manipulating things from
behind the scenes, testing Kara -- offhand I've no idea or suggestions who this could be, but from a longer-term arc perspective, it
shouldn't be revealed right away.

Lumberjack is activated, and Kara is forced to reveal herself, and in a should I / shouldn't I self-doubt moment, she decides to do what's
right and take on Lumberjack, maybe sans costume. I'm hoping for the actual scene they take some visual cues from 'The Coming of Atlas'
or the Reign of Doomsay story arcs where Supergirl just comes out no-holds-barred punching -- specifically this scene

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rZPp6fU38Dc/TZ2hU0vafII/AAAAAAAALgU/j-hROlN5mCM/s400/sb+ann+5-10.jpg

That'd be epic!

Afterward in an interior monolouge or in a "hidden face" scene, Kara's discussing with her cousin about her decision and actions to reveal
herself, and she wants to do what's right and she won't stay hidden / be held back anymore.

Just my wild (fanboy) idea.


Regards

Anonymous said...

Well..I guess you have to toss around a few Jobbers before working your way up the ranks to Mongul & Mxyztplk...:)
I didn't even KNOW DC had a villain called "The Lumberjack".
I myself am holding out for Lesla Lar...a demented Krypton fan girl who thinks SG isn't upholding her culture & tradtion...:)

JF

Anonymous said...

Agree...
Start slow...build momentum...

but the new news is: We might still get LINDA Danvers instead of Kara Danvers, according to IMDB. Personally, I like transgression and audacity. I don´t need the time machine to 1965. I liked Kara Danvers. But the canonical name is (and should be) Linda or Linda Lee. The wig is a must (thank you again Ms Vandervoort, Ms Slater). The lenses are stupid. What kind of a world is this where Clark doesn´t use them in Smallville, but she does?

Starting of the pilot is in 6 more days. After it, we are all aboard for a trip to Heaven.
Enjoy, people. Our time begins.
DAVID

Unknown said...

I hope the 'big bad' is Brains from the The Gang! The idea of testing Supergirl's powers would fit nicely with Brains' strategic planing and smarts. Plus, we'd get to see live action versions of Kong, Ms. Mesmer, and Bulldozer!

Anonymous said...

I like kara danvers too. Work place and james calls her linda? Her family calls her kara?

Anj said...

Thanks for great comments.

I'd prefer Linda Danvers but the idea of only her family calling her Kara has appeal too.

Lesla Lar as a Kryptonian fanatic (there would be those out there in a world with Superman) is a interesting thought too!

This show sounds great!

Comicbookrehab said...

How about Livewire and Volcana from "Superman: The Animated Series"? Those were good villains.

Gene said...

I would like to see Giganta as a villain on the Supergirl show. She has the brains and the brawn to take Kara on. If they use one obscure Wonder Woman villain, they can certainly use a better known one.

Gene