Wednesday, February 25, 2015

More Supergirl Show News: Calista Flockhart As Cat Grant


News about the Supergirl Show is being released pretty regularly now and I have to say, every single thing I have read and heard about this show so far has been nigh-perfect.

Greg Berlanti, Ali Adler, David Rapoport and all the folks setting up the cast and tone of the show are just knocking it out of the park. And as a lifelong Supergirl fan, I am thrilled with the news and love the more wide-reaching excitement I am sensing around the character.

And now the latest news ... another great casting decision ...


Calista Flockhart will be playing Cat Grant. I first saw this on Deadline and here is the link:
http://deadline.com/2015/02/calista-flockhart-cast-supergirl-pilot-cat-grant-1201379787/

Here is the description of Cat from the original publicity releases:
Cat is described as a woman in her 40s and the founder of media conglomerate called CatCo. The casting information says the producers are open to any ethnicities for the part, which is described as "J.Lo by way of Anna Wintour." Kara Danvers, Supergirl's civilian identity, will be Cat's personal assistant when she's not saving lives.

Flockhart just seems like a big win.


I am interested in seeing just how the show's Cat relates to Supergirl.

Will she be a supporter? Helping to promote Supergirl?

Will she attack Supergirl in the media the way the Cat in the last incarnation of Supergirl did? Slinging the mud on her in social media?

Or will this be a self-serving Cat, promoting or attacking depending on the public sentiment?

This is one more excellent announcement about this show!

Now we need the casting of Alex, Wynn, and Hank. And we need to see the costume!

Kudos to all involved with the show. This Supergirl fan is happy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! More Supergirl TV news!

I'm wondering as well... from the leaked (possible) scripts, the sense I got was Cat Grant was a bit of a selfish selfpromoter.
While I think it'd be interesting to do a J Johan Jameson-type from the animated Spiderman series, I certainly hope there's some
depth to Cat's character.

Regards

Anonymous said...

Yeah Ms Flockhart will definitely be the "J. Joan Jameson" in the mix.

JF

Gene said...

I kept hearing the opening theme song to Ally McBeal when I heard the news. This may attract more mainstream attention, so I consider this casting a win.

Now if they cast Julianne Nicholson as Doris Zuel then it will be a party!

Gene

Comicbookrehab said...

I think Cat Grant will be fleshed out more as a character than from what we've seen in the comics...her portrayal was often inconsistent with how she first appeared, and recent interpretations were (imo) influenced by Tracy Scoggins' portrayal of her in "Lois & Clark".

Then again...I think Berlanti might be re-imagining Cat as a more confident, arrogant Ally McBeal, which could be fun.

Anonymous said...

It is becoming clear why the book was cancelled. The two worlds would have been so far apart there would have been no cross-traffic. The book was completely devoid of any of the show's elements.

I am beginning to sense that the television show may have a great clothes fashion component. You can't have
This cast of women and not dress them appropriately both on this world and on Krypton.

Anj said...

Thanks for the comments.
I think Cat will have a more outgoing personality, something Ally McBeal never had. So I think Flockhart will be 'bigger' in the show, out of her shell.

And I am starting to wonder if the 'Supergirl' project in the summer might be a 'Season zero' book, or digital first book truly based on the show.