Monday, May 30, 2011

Boston Comic Con Commission #5: Michael Dooney


Hard to believe that the Boston Comic Con was only a month ago. From a blogging point of view, that is a lifetime ago. So this is the last post recapping that convention.

While I use a sketch book for my commissions, I decided that a fun thing to also do would be to get Supergirl commissions on the sketch covers of Marvel books. Marvel does a very nice job of having sketch covers for many of their bigger releases. I don't know if DC has ever done it. My hope is to make these a more humorous part of my collection, poking fun at Marvel while elevating Supergirl. I mean wouldn't it be fun to see Kara holding Thor's hammer like it wasn't a big deal? Bending Wolverine's claws?

A couple of years ago, I saw Ethan Van Sciver do a 'Hal Jordan as Skrull' cover on Secret Invasion  and I thought that was interesting. So as I walked around the convention, I saw Michael Dooney's table and thought he would be a great choice for my inaugural sketch cover. Who would ever think of Supergirl being a Skrull spy!

Dooney is best known for his work on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Here is his main web site link:
http://www.michaeldooney.com/

But he also is known for his commissions of women, something he calls DooneyGirls. Here his blog, dedicated to those commissions: http://dooneygirls.blogspot.com/

I thought this was a silly and unique sort of commission to have in my collection. And I think Dooney did a great job with it. I especially like the pointy ear poking through her hair. I think moving forward, I will try to get local and lesser known artists to do these cover commissions for me, a way for me to pay things forward for the artists trying to break into the business as well as have a little fun.

I have sketch covers for Spiderman, New Avengers, Thor, X-Men, and Fear Itself. If anyone has cool ideas for how to do a Supergirl commission on those covers, let me know!

No comments: