Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Poll: Which Lantern Corps Would Recruit Supergirl?



There was a little outcry when the above picture of a Blackest Night:Wonder Woman action figure made it's way onto the DC Direct page and into Previews.

I, like many, initially thought it meant Diana was going to die and return as a Black Lantern.

But then it became clear that maybe Diana is recruited by one of the other Corps to join the war. The description of the figure is deliberatley vague. From the DC Direct solicitation ( http://www.dccomics.com/dcdirect/?dcd=13503&lst=new&cat=JUST+ANNOUNCED )

This series includes Wonder Woman, who is surprisingly transformed by the happenings of the Blackest Night (Read the comics to learn more!).

I would think that Diana would join the Blue Lanterns. After all, her whole life is built around the hope that peace will come to the world.




Anyways, that got me thinking. Which Corps would try to recruit Supergirl?

For those who need a scorecard, the Corps are represented as follows:

Violet - Love
Indigo - Compassion
Blue - Hope
Green - Will
Yellow - Fear
Orange - Avarice
Red - Rage

If this was the pre-Sterling Gates/Jamal Igle Kara, my guess would be the Red Lanterns. After all, the Loeb/Kelly Kara had so much rage in her, she shorted out Wonder Girl's lasso.

I think, right now and not knowing much about their powers or outlook, I would think Supergirl would be recruited by the Indigo Corps. I think of the emotional spectrum that the rings represent, Kara would be drawn to compassion towards others.

What do you all think?

13 comments:

Nikki said...

Green. She's already used John Stewarts ring before. Might be fun if we saw superman as blue following her around to top the energy up

Unknown said...

blue

Heath Edwards said...

i agree with you, anj. i think she'd go with the indigo corps, too...

TalOs said...

Anj: with all due respect I'd much having rightfully been given back our Pre-COIE E-1 Kara Zor-El/"Linda Lee Danvers"/Supergirl proper as a Black Lantern during the Blackest Night mega event (I mean what better time to bring her back in to main DCU continuity then now ah) over Kara II just being transformed in to some 'rainbow colored Lantern' personally. ;)

Saranga said...

Wonder Woman has gotta be hope.
As for Kara, she's definitely got the determination be green.

I think a lot of fans would want her to be indigo, but right now, I'm not sure she's quite there.

Maybe hope, if WONK is resolved successfully and earth folks start trusting the S shield (in all guises) again. Also presuming Blackest Night takes place after WONK. Continuity is currently confusing me.

My guess is DC will make her green or Indigo.

Personally, the S shields signify hope to me, which is why i'm such a big fan of the symbol and the idea of them. But right now, Kara doesn't inspire hope to the citizens of the DCU. She's got a little way to go.

Gene said...

Indigo.
Supergirl was always helpful to those in need, even if her actions sometimes blow up in her face.

Diana_Fan said...

Indigo seems like a stretch to me, honestly. First, we have very, very little idea of what the Indigo Lanterns are about at this point. Second, when I think of Kara, "compassion" is not the first thing that comes to mind.

Green would make sense, as Kara usually has strong willpower.

I can still see Red, if one looks at all the things she's been through. But it's also at the edge of the spectrum (as is Violet), so it represents one's almost complete submission to the power of the ring.

Honestly, I don't think Kara will be wearing a ring, at all.

Yota said...

Either blue or green. Maybe indigo. I don't see violet, yellow, or orange, and only red if it's towards anyone responsible for her father's death.

--Yota.

Anj said...

Personally, the S shields signify hope to me, which is why i'm such a big fan of the symbol and the idea of them. But right now, Kara doesn't inspire hope to the citizens of the DCU. She's got a little way to go.

I agree that people don't equate her with hope yet. Especially with all this New Krypton stuff.

As a result, I don't think she feels hopeful. That's why I don't think Blue would want her.

Anj said...

I can still see Red, if one looks at all the things she's been through. But it's also at the edge of the spectrum (as is Violet), so it represents one's almost complete submission to the power of the ring.

Honestly, I don't think Kara will be wearing a ring, at all.


Thanks for the post.

I think that Supergirl will also remain ring-less. The fun here is trying to see what ring folks think would approach her.

I agree that I don't think she would submit to the things that a red ring does to its possessor.

Anj said...

Either blue or green. Maybe indigo. I don't see violet, yellow, or orange, and only red if it's towards anyone responsible for her father's death.

I am really intrigued that so many folks have picked green. I think that's really cool.

Anj said...

Over on Newsarama, Jamal Igle had this to say:

I can at least squash that rumor quickly. Kara won't be wearing a power ring of any kind.

I don't know if there was a rumor. I just thought this would be a fun exercise about Kara's character.

I hope people keep voting.

Rick said...

I believe Diana already died and became "Goddess of Truth" in John Byrne's run.