Wednesday, September 9, 2009

December Super-title Covers

The Source has posted the covers for the December Super-title covers on their blog and I have to admit I like what I see. Here is the link: http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2009/09/08/how-about-some-december-superman-covers/





Supergirl #48 brings back the threat of Silver Banshee. After almost a year of Reactron, I am greatly looking forward to seeing Supergirl face of against another super-villain. I think Banshee will be a great addition to Supergirl's rogue's gallery. I especially like that she was part of character change-over in Supergirl #34.

The cover by Josh Middleton, as usual, is very strong and eye catching. The wide-eyed look on the enraged Silver Banshee looks menacing. And you can feel Kara's discomfort as she tries to block out the sound.



Action Comics #884 caught me off-guard and that's always a good thing. Why is Lois being arrested? I wonder if she is digging into Project 7734 too much and is being labelled a threat to national security.

I love Perry White's shocked expression right next to Cat Grant's smug smile. Just a very slick cover by Cafu.


Superman #695 showcase Cafu's art again as we see the newly garbed Mon-El fighting a bulked up Parasite.

Parasite has been on the periphery of James Robinson's Superman run so I like that his story should be moved forward here.

I still don't really like the new Mon-El costume.

Superman:World of New Krypton #10 shows Commander El flying around New Krypton with Adam Strange. That means in WONK, Superman will have interacted with the Green Lantern Corps, Thanagarians, Jemm the Son of Saturn, and now the defender of Rann.

I guess a New Krypton would have a cosmic effect on the DCU so I am not surprised to see these interstellar gust stars.

That said, I was hoping that the cover would show some sort of movement towards the end of this series and its story. I know covers don't always reflect what is inside, so maybe things are rushing to a conclusion. Gary Frank's cover is great and I can't wait to see his interiors in Secret Origin.

I keep wondering if Superman:World of New Krypton #12 is really the end of the New Krypton saga.



And finally in a seperate post, we see the cover for Adventure Comics #5, yet another homage to the cover of Crisis on Infinite Earths #7.

Unfortunately, I also read somewhere that Geoff Johns and Francis Manapul are both leaving Adventure Comics after issue #6. I don't know if I will stay with this title afterwards. I suppose it will depend on the creative team announced to take over.

15 comments:

Nikki said...

If any cover deserves a foil print background its that Silver Banshee one. Is stunning. I love all the middleton covers

Saranga said...

oh the silver banshee cover is great! Really glad to see that she's making a comeback.

Unknown said...

I'm also very happy to see someone else fighthing SG.. I'm a bit tired of Reactron, and with some many kriptonians there... why they don't bring back Lesla Lar >.<

Blakstarr too.

Anonymous said...

I think the Silver Banshee background looks like something from the animated Scooby-doo series.. it has a look to it that looks like it could be done in an animated movie...
:D


Loved the series..


Don't worry, it's a compliment, not a flame.


OH! on the topic of Animated stuff:

I wonder if DC will actually make an animated Supergirl series or movie sometime soon?

*crosses fingers*


-ealperin

TalOs said...

Nikki: If any cover deserves a foil print background its that Silver Banshee one. Is stunning.

I second that motion Sterling and Jamal (who have been known to cruise by here) if you're both reading this! :D

ealperin: I think the Silver Banshee background looks like something from the animated Scooby-doo series.. it has a look to it that looks like it could be done in an animated movie... :D


Loved the series..


Don't worry, it's a compliment, not a flame.


Actually, it looks more and more to me like a screen cap taken from a specific episode of Justice League Unlimited that featured Silver Banshee in this EXACT same pose.

OH! on the topic of Animated stuff:

I wonder if DC will actually make an animated Supergirl series or movie sometime soon?

*crosses fingers*


Ok, from what I've been hearing is that PTB at WB are apparently holding off on making an all new Supergirl movie until they have properly relaunched Superman's own franchise first. However, in having had said that there IS word on Smallville being possibly spun off in to a Supergirl TV series titled "Midvale" but they apparently want to see how the ratings are Post-season 9 before even considering it at this stage which they are hoping if goes through will have Laura Vandervoort reprising her role as Kara but they also have to consider her being signed up for "V" TV series remake in which she's starring in and see if the show will last past it's first 2 seasons in order to snap her up for their intended "Midvale" spin off.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you're right!... It does look like a screencap from JLU.
Just looked at it from a different perspective.

:D


....


Can't wait if that does turn out to be true... I mean IF it does.

-ealperin

Marc Burkhardt said...

I hear Paul Levitz is going to take over Adventure Comics. Don't know about the artist.

Gene said...

That Supergirl cover does look awesome. Aside from #34, Supergirl and Silver Banshee once squared off early in Peter David's run. Nice to see them go at it again.

Animated Supergirl movie? Sounds like a great idea for a future poll. Each of us could nominate a comic book story that we would like to see adapted for the poll and then vote. Personally I would not want to see another origin story.

Anj said...

Nikki said:
If any cover deserves a foil print background its that Silver Banshee one. Is stunning. I love all the middleton covers

Saranga said:
oh the silver banshee cover is great! Really glad to see that she's making a comeback.

Talos said:
Actually, it looks more and more to me like a screen cap taken from a specific episode of Justice League Unlimited that featured Silver Banshee in this EXACT same pose.

I love the Banshee too.

She seems like a natural villain for Supergirl. So this should be good.

Anj said...

I hear Paul Levitz is going to take over Adventure Comics. Don't know about the artist

I saw that too. And writing Legion no less.

First Shooter on LSH and now Levitz. It's like I am reliving my childhood. Anyways, I look forward to reading his Legion stuff and so will stick with the title.

Anj said...

That Supergirl cover does look awesome. Aside from #34, Supergirl and Silver Banshee once squared off early in Peter David's run. Nice to see them go at it again.

Animated Supergirl movie? Sounds like a great idea for a future poll. Each of us could nominate a comic book story that we would like to see adapted for the poll and then vote. Personally I would not want to see another origin story.


I posted about the PAD Silver Banshee story a while back.

As for a new Supergirl movie, I would be all for it!

Anonymous said...

Anyone wanna comment on the news that Paul Levitz is "transitioning out" as DC's publisher?
His was one of the few voices that petitioned Jeanette Kahn NOT to kill off SG in the Crisis on Infinite Earths For that reason, Paul Levitz has my deepest respect.
When the character needed him, he spoke up.
Levitz therefore was and remains Kara Zor El's biggest and most high profile supporter...He wasn't in as publisher a full year before plans were afoot to bring her back in style.
Now I'm hoping that his successor is as passionate about our favorite, head for the hills if that Kara Killer Marv Wolfman gets in.
:D

John Feer

TalOs said...

If Marv Wolfman is chosen as his replacement I'll send so much hate mail to DC they'll wont know what hit 'em!!! >:(

Gene said...

Paul Levitz will also be the Contributing Editor and Overall Consultant to the newly established DC Entertainment:

"Besides serving as a writer on a number of DC Comics titles, he will be a contributing editor and consultant to DC Entertainment on projects in various media. Additionally, he will consult as needed on the transition and integration of the DC Comics organization into DC Entertainment and will utilize his unique experience, knowledge and relationships with the comics industry’s creative community to help achieve DC Entertainment’s goal of maximizing the value of DC properties. Further, Levitz will advise DC Entertainment on creative and rights-holder relationships, in particular regarding the legacy relationships that have been a part of DC Comics for decades."

http://vertigo.blog.dccomics.com/2009/09/09/warner-bros-creates-dc-entertainment/

Loosely translated, our chances of seeing more of Supergirl in television, movies, etc just got better.

Anj said...

Paul Levitz will also be the Contributing Editor and Overall Consultant to the newly established DC Entertainment:

Levitz was always a Supergirl backer, putting her in some Legion issues and trying to return her to the universe as Sensor Girl.

He sounds like he was always a class act so I am glad he is not being shown the door. And I am excited to read his Legion.