Wednesday, September 30, 2009

December Solicits

A while back, Newsarama posted their complete DC December solicits ( http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090921-dc-dec-09-solicitations.html). In reviewing the month, it doesn't look like there are too many surprises. Outside of a couple of trades (one being a must buy) and World's Finest, it looks like December will have the standard dose of Super-titles.

Here are the solicits and some comments.




SUPERGIRL #48
Written by Sterling Gates
Art by Matt Camp
Cover by Joshua Middleton


Uh-oh! The Silver Banshee is back in Metropolis! This time she’s after an artifact that could finally break her family’s eternal curse. When Inspector Mike Henderson gets involved, Supergirl is pulled into the conflict! Meanwhile, Lana Lang’s mysterious condition takes a turn for the worse. Will the Girl of Steel be able to save her only two human friends? Join fan-favorite writer Sterling Gates and guest artist Matt Camp (SUPERMAN: SECRET FILES 2009, Zero Killer) to find out!


After a near monthly dose of Reactron, it will be nice to read about another Supergirl rogue. Silver Banshee seems like a perfect addition. I hope this story cements her place as a Supergirl villain rather than a Superman villain.

I also like that we already hear that Inspector Henderson and Lana play big parts in the issue. This solicit reads like a Supergirl comic and not another chapter in the bigger Superman storylines. I like that.

I also like how Sterling Gates is now officially a fan-favorite! It will be interesting to see how Matt Camp handles the art.


WORLD’S FINEST #3
Written by Sterling Gates
Art by Jamal Igle
Covers by Phil Noto


The Toyman has crafted the ultimate killing machine to protect himself from the Kryptonian menace, and Oracle has sent Supergirl and Batgirl to stop it. But when Supergirl faces off against the Kryptonite Man while the new Batgirl takes on Catwoman, they both find themselves in over their heads.This looks like a job for... Retailers please note: This issue will ship with two covers, both by Phil Noto, that can be ordered separately. Cover A will feature Supergirl. Cover B will feature Batgirl.


Let's see ... Sterling Gates, Jamal Igle, Phil Noto all involved in producing a story where Supergirl teams up with the new Batgirl.

Yeah ... that reads like an early holiday gift.

On top of that you add Catwoman, The Toyman, and the Kryptonite Man? Not that sounds great. I loved how Supergirl took out the Kryptonite man in the Up,Up, and Away arc in the Superman books.



ACTION COMICS #884
Written by Greg Rucka; co-feature written by James Robinson & Greg Rucka
Art by Pere Pérez; co-feature art by CAFU
Cover by CAFU

When Lois tries to run the story that will clear Flamebird and Nightwing once and for all, she finds herself blocked at every turn. With the world’s anti-Kryptonian sentiment escalating to a near-frenzy, not even being General Lane’s daughter will keep her safe! Plus, to the shock and horror of Flamebird, the problems with Nightwing’s uncontrolled aging reach a critical juncture! And in part 6 of the new co-feature, Captain Atom squares off against his old adversary Major Force just as some troubling memories start to resurface – one word: Monarch!

I do like that Lois is getting pro-active in her attempts to uncover Project 7734 and its propaganda machine. As I mentioned before, I like the look on Cat Grant's face in the background.

I keep waiting for the eventual Sam and Lois reunion. I doubt that Lois will hug her Daddy the way Lucy did when they were reunited.

Plus, I am glad that Chris' aging problem didn't magically stop once he was in his 20s. The Flamebird/Nightwing legend always ends in tragedy. Could Nightwing die of old age?

Since I like Pere Perez' art, I was glad to see he is sticking around as the artist on Action Comics.


SUPERMAN #695
Written by James Robinson
Art by Fernando Dagnino & Raúl Fernandez
Cover by CAFU

Part 2 of Man of Valor! Metropolis gets a chance to see the new Mon-El in action. But now the stakes are raised even higher and the action escalates as Mon finally goes mano-a-mano against the Parasite! This is a battle that’s been brewing since Mon’s emergence on Earth and now it explodes into the streets and skies of the city. Plus, with Mon-El’s secret identity publicly known, how will the Science Police react to him now that they know he’s been living among them all this time? All this plus the return of Natasha Irons and the fate of Steel!

Sounds like a lot is happening in the Superman comic. Mon-El's identity revealed? Will his being Jonathan Kent somehow link back to Ma? I forget if they explained that he was a relative to the Smallville's Kents.

And I hope the 'new' Mon-El means something other than a new suit. For me, I would be pretty happy if the 'powers blinking on and off' part of the storyline went away.

Superman, for me, has been the weakest of the super-titles since the post-New Krypton stories began. I hope these changes help shake the book up a bit.

SUPERMAN: WORLD OF NEW KRYPTON #10
Written by Greg Rucka & James Robinson
Art by Pete Woods
Cover by Gary Frank;variant cover by Dustin Nguyen

New Krypton is a planet so fresh, it’s experiencing countless things for the first time. Its first spring. Its first blooms. Its first birth of a child. And now its first homicide. When an important figure in Kandor is murdered, the suspect seems obvious to everyone but Superman. But can he make Zod or the Council believe this is more than an open-and-shut case? And can he uncover the real killer in time to save the life of the accused? It’s a dark mystery, but R.E.B.E.L.S. star Adam Strange arrives in time to help find answers...even though the truth may blow apart the civilized trappings of Kandorian society in the process. This action-packed arc leads all the way to the series’ final issue, which itself sets the stage for huge happenings in the DC Universe next summer!

It was good to read in the solicit that DC realizes that this series is almost over. There is a lot to digest in this preview which makes me interested in seeing how this issue plays out.

First off, I am glad that some of the more space-themed DC characters are showing up in WONK. Thanagarians, Jemm, and now Adam Strange are welcome sights showing how a New Krypton would shake up the galaxy/universe. But I didn't know Strange was a star in R.E.B.E.L.S.

Next, an important figure on New Krypton is murdered? I wonder who it could be. I am going to cross Zod, Ursa, Non, and Alura off the 'potentially dead' list. I don't know if any other ancillary character has stood out enough to be considered a significant character loss.

Third, since Zod is listed in the solicit, he clearly does not die from his wounds. I hope we see a shot of General Lane being ticked off that Zod survived his assassination attempt.

And lastly, this series leads into next year's big event. Could it be that next summer is the Earth/New Krypton war we all have been expecting?


SUPERMAN: SECRET ORIGIN #4
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Gary Frank & Jon Sibal
Covers by Gary Frank

While everyone wants something from Metropolis’ first Super Hero, Superman must fight his first Super-Villain – someone who wants everything – the Parasite! Meanwhile, Lex Luthor turns his attention toward The Man of Steel... Geoff Johns and Gary Frank continue their bold reinterpretation of the origin of The Man of Steel for the 21st Century!

While the covers of this title are majestic, they don't have a lot of punch to make the average shelf peruser interested in picking up the book. And this shot of Superman with his Kryptonian parents doesn't seem to have anything to do with the solicit about the Parasite.

But I was so blown away by the first issue, I think I am nit-picking here. I think I am going to love this series.



ADVENTURE COMICS #5
Written by Geoff JohnsArt by Jerry Ordway; co-feature art by Francis Manapul
Cover by Jerry Ordway; variant Cover by Francis Manapul

Concluding the 2-part BLACKEST NIGHT tale of Superboy-Prime! The Black Lanterns have forced Prime to face his deepest and darkest fears, but what - and who - are they? And how will Superboy-Prime strike back after this devastating attack? Plus, Conner Kent faces off with Superman's greatest enemy in an exciting co-feature by Geoff Johns and Francis Manapul. That's right: Superboy confronts Lex Luthor!


I think Superboy-Prime is really a polarizing figure in the DCU. There are people that love his power, his insanity, his threat to the universe. Others, like me, find him pretty tiresome and wish he would go away. I don't know anyone who thinks Prime is 'okay'. You either love him or hate him.

Could this cover really mean Prime is dead? Could Johns be still trying to rehabilitate him? Should I care? Nice cover homage to Crisis on Infinite Earths #7 though.

I am more interested in the Conner story with him confronting his 'dad'. I still can't believe Johns and Manapul are off this title after issue 6.



SUPERMAN/SUPERGIRL: MAELSTROM
Written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray
Art and cover by Phil Noto

The 5-issue miniseries that pitted Superman and Supergirl against Maelstrom, the would-be bride of Darkseid, is collected! It's a battle that ranges from Metropolis to Apokolips and beyond – Don't miss it!


So Maelstrom is being collected in a trade form and I am on the fence if I am going to buy it.

I reviewed each issue of this miniseries as it came out and in the end I thought the book was overall average. The thing is parts of this book, some scenes in this book, were really great. Other parts, specifically the first issue, fell very flat. Were the high points high enough to warrant buying the book?

And yet, there is that gorgeous Phil Noto art throughout, almost reason enough to buy the book for easier reading than pulling out the floppies.

I think it will depend on how much money I have in my wallet when it is released.



SUPERGIRL:COSMIC ADVENTURES IN THE EIGHTH GRADE
Written by Landry Q. Walker
Art and cover by Eric Jones

It's an all-ages extravaganza as young Supergirl meets Belinda Zee, a new junior high adversary, in this title collecting the 6-issue miniseres. And that's just the start of the fun that includes super-powered pets and cosmic adventure!

And here is the must buy trade of the month!

At their request, I have been rereading the individual issues to the Supergirls recently and I am again struck about what a great series this was from beginning to end. This just clicked on all cylinders for both the Johnny DC crowd and the more grizzled Supergirl and DCU fan. I can't believe that we haven't heard about a sequel.

Anyways, this would make a great holiday present for any young reader. Given the nature of the book, this is one where I would talk to my local comic book store to pre-order.

I wonder if DC is waiting on trade sales to decide about a sequel. I hope Landry Walker and Eric Jones still have their love of the character and would still jump at the chance to bring this Supergirl into the 9th grade.

An announcement for a Cosmic sequel ... that would be the best Christmas gift.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assuming Ms. Connor and Mr. Palmiotti are not available, then "Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures at Summer Camp" is MADE for any notional follow-up to "Wednesday Comics".
:D

Here is hopin'

John Feer

Gene said...

Anj wrote:

"After a near monthly dose of Reactron, it will be nice to read about another Supergirl rogue."

I hope we get to see some original Supergirl rogues in the future.

WORLD’S FINEST #3
The cover has a nice 1960's style and feel to it. I'm curious to see how Batgirl and Supergirl will get along in what I hope will be the first of several team ups.

"And here is the must buy trade of the month!"

*WHISTLES* *CHEERS*
Aside from the two that I plan to order myself, I was able to convince the library where I work at to buy over 25 copies for all of its branches.

"An announcement for a Cosmic sequel ... that would be the best Christmas gift."

IT WOULD BE THE BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!

Anj said...

Aside from the two that I plan to order myself, I was able to convince the library where I work at to buy over 25 copies for all of its branches.

That's a great idea.

Maybe I'll buy a copy for the local library!