Monday, September 28, 2009

Alex Maleev Commission

The much anticipated Spiderwoman, Agent of S.W.O.R.D. #1 comic was released last week by Marvel. Written by Brian Michael Bendis and drawn by Alex Maleev, this comic has been talked about for some time making its actual release alone worth talking.

The comic itself is pretty dark and brooding as we read about Jessica Drew trying to put her life back together after being replaced by the Skrull Queen for so long. The comic reads like it really wants to be an Ed Brubaker comic. It comes close but it isn't quite there. Still, I am going to stick around for at least a couple of issues. It might be worth a peek.

One thing that was a draw for me was Maleev's art. I like his scratchy style a lot and it does work for a noirish comic like this.


Here is the Alex Maleev Supergirl commission from my collection. As usual, a good friend of mine picked this up for me at the NYCC a couple of years ago.

I try to include artists with different styles and techniques in my collection to see a variety of interpretations of Supergirl. I wouldn't think of Maleev as a traditional Supergirl artist so I was interested to see what he would do and excited to add him to my gallery. I think this is a great piece.

I waver in my interpretation on it. Sometimes I think the dark is threatening to engulf Supergirl. Somtimes I think she is holding it back. Other times I think he just painted the background black.

No matter what, it is an interesting take on Supergirl and, as such, gets a lot of comments by people who view my collection.

3 comments:

Gene said...

Another excellent piece Anj. Supergirl appears to have her eyes closed so she won't succumb to the darkness surrounding her until she has found a safe path away from it.

BTW Anj, do you specifically ask artists to draw Supergirl in her movie/Matrix costume, or do they automatically do that themselves?

Anj said...

BTW Anj, do you specifically ask artists to draw Supergirl in her movie/Matrix costume, or do they automatically do that themselves?

Thanks for the post.

I ask for the Matrix costume and bring source material in case they don't know it.

Anonymous said...

Pensive, she looks pensive, kinda like Alex Ross' BA Supergirl poster, just sayin' thass all.

John Feer