Thursday, October 8, 2015

Luke Daab's Supergirl Profile


I have seen Luke Daab's superhero profiles in the past and have always been impressed so I was thrilled to see his take on Supergirl here:https://www.patreon.com/posts/dc-superhero-3512084

Luke had contacted me and others to ask what elements should be in a profile and came up with this great design. Here are Luke's words:

Ever since I saw the trailer for the upcoming Supergirl television show, I've had Kara on the brain. Doesn't it look amazing? I can't wait! To celebrate and manage my own anticipation, I created Supergirl's well-deserved Superhero Profile. (I may have to make shirts of this design!)

This piece received the help of internet friends Dr. Anj  and Keith G. Baker who suggested Argo City and Kara's rocketship as iconography for the design. My original concept included Comet and Streaky. I dread thinking what I would have ended up creating without their insights. Thanks guys! The biggest problem this piece posed was whether or not to include Kara's 1980's red headband. It's cheesy and dated. In the end, however, I opted to keep it. I'm not a fan of it in the comics, but I like the way the red breaks up the yellow from Kara's hair and skin tone.

Now that I've seen my first image of Red Tornado from the show, you can only guess who I may design next!

Thanks as always for your support!

I have to say that I love this look, a call back to a classic Supergirl. Argo City, Comet, a retro-looking rocket ... this all works. As for me, I think the headband works for the time and definitely works here. It does seem so add a bit of flash to the Kara figure.

Anyways, head to Luke's Patreon to see his works and be impressed. And Luke, I would be down for a shirt if you make them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally speaking, the headband look works better when Kara is drawn with straighter, less puffy hair like here or in Convergence (even though Convergence seemed to flip-flop on showing the red shoulders). It doesn't look dated without the accompanying "huge 80's hair".

Martin Gray said...

What Anon said, I was going to say the same thing. Ignore that perm and the headband can look great; I realise DC had it imposed on them, but I love the 'citizenship' justification.