Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Bullet Review: DC Bombshells #32

DC Comics Bombshells #32 came out this week, the penultimate issue of this run.

The storylines of all the Bombshells have all come together in Russia. Faora has been revealed as the villain pulling the strings from behind the scenes all along. The Kryptonian general is hoping to create an army of super-powered army through cloning  so she can overrun the world.

Supergirl has overcome her grief. She has put the death of her sister behind her. It still motivates Supergirl but she isn't weighed down by it. The rest of the Bombshells are ready to fight Hugo Strange's army of creatures.  And a bulk of the issue is devoted to Raven's origins.

But I am running on fumes with this title.




The issue starts with Kara's adopted mother crashing a plane into Faora, temporarily stunning the villain. In fact we don't see Faora again until there are only a handful of pages left in the book. Should a small plane effect a Kryptonian that much?

Despite the fact the villain is down and now might be the time for the heroes to truly capture her, instead we get a lot of personal moments.

First Kara's parents both hug her, saying the love her, and apologizing for keeping her at a distance since Kortni's death.

I like that these moments happen. Supergirl's grief and isolation has been a big part of her story. We needed this redemption. But maybe at the very end, once the villain has been truly vanquished.


Then Kara chastises Kortni's biologic father. Remember he tried to kidnap her and force her into a more courtly role of a young lady. He also asks for forgiveness but Kara says it isn't hers to give. He has to redeem himself.

I don't know why he is here ... but he is. Wasn't he in England before? How did he end up on the front in Russia? Am I forgetting something?

Kara is really on her high horse here.


 As I said, there is a huge chunk of this issue with Raven talking to her father about her origins. How he ended up with Raven's mother. How she ended up in the care of the enemy.

I do have to say how much I like the look of the uncontrolled Raven with huge Hela-esque horns. I wonder if this is a variant statue in the making.


 Finally, Faora comes to her senses and we see Supergirl and her battling in the sky. This isn't a sparring exercise. This is a fight to the death.

Thankfully, Raven realizes that magic can effect the Kryptonians and joins the fray. Of course, all the magicians are basically human. Faora can hurt them.

In an odd move, Faora picks up a rifle to shoot Raven. Why would she do that? Why use a gun when you have all the powers of a Kryptonian?


The book does end on a decent cliffhanger.

In this book Triton isn't a shining knight but he isn't entirely evil either. However, in the battle, Faora kills him. Faced with that sudden grief, Raven loses her composure and goes full-on demon mode.

How will this all wrap up? Will the book end with the armistice? Will the Bombshells remain a team? Can Bennett wrap it all up? Or does it need to be wrapped up given the second volume has already been announced.

I find that as the story has lost me that I have become much more particular in my reviews here. Minor things which I might have glossed over now stick a bit more. Sorry if I seem to be nit-picking here.

Overall grade: C-

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I do have to say how much I like the look of the uncontrolled Raven with huge Hela-esque horns. I wonder if this is a variant statue in the making."

No! Say it isn't so!

Honestly I like Kara acknowledges at least Whitemore was trying to protect his daughter. Yes, his actions were wrong but I can' fault him for loving his daughter and wanting to keep her safe. And it isn't like the guy isn't genuinely sorry.

I also like Kara's getting a big role, but both plot and writing have become convoluted and confusing. And I don't think it gets better afterwards.

It also appears Bennett has trouble managing such a huge cast and moving multiple simultaneous plotlines forward. When it was the last time Diana showed up in a non-flashback scene? Yes, I know she'll show up again in the next volume. What was with Lex and that whole subplot? And although I'm happy to see Barbara Gordon, it feels like her only story arc has been pointless and a waste.

I have the feeling the book has been underperforming for a while, hence the relaunching and renumbering.

garyb said...

Thanks for the reviews, but after 32 issues, approximately $120, I can't take any more of this. Surprised myself that I continued with it as long as I did. But, in the words of "The Raven" Nevermore.



Anonymous said...

I never thought the book would last this long.

I mean, it's a book based on a line of products, so it was started in part as promotion.

It has numerous characters that would be title characters in their own books that have to all be given time, I mean, it has 2 or 3 times as many as a Justice League book. More like a LOSH book but without the history to work with.

A writer needs to balance all that, provide some story and development for all of them, have enough action and plot to keep us nerds happy, make all those characters interact with each other and stay in character, all the while trying to make a coherent storyline arc.

Like I said, I'm amazed it lasted this long without melting down into a puddle. My hats off to Bennett for what she's accomplished with all of it.

Anonymous said...

Pompous and incoherent right to the end....it doesn't matter in what sequence you view the panels you are just as mystified as you were six months ago. Okay so unpowered Russian Mom and Dad show up to shame Faora into submission when Kara couldn't overpower the alien dictator?? I can't tell really because Supergirl essentially vanishes out of the storyline for the last two pages. And every damn time she starts getting weepy about Dear Departed Kortni I wanna scream "Kortni is Dead, She had it Coming to Her, She Made Enemies!!"
This book had tons of potential all of it squandered, I think I could happily accept "the alleged agenda" behind it but the storytelling is catastrophically inept and incoherent...that I cannot forgive.


Sorry if I sound harsh but at this point reading "Bombshells" is an exercise in masochism. The successor book should make clear linear storytelling and a smaller cast a top priority.