Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Boston Comic Con 2017: Overview & Tom Grummett Commission


<![endif]-->I wasn’t 100% sure if I was going to head to Boston ComicCon this year. I liked the more comic-centric feel this show has had since its inception. I knew that FanExpo had bought it out and that it would probably have a more corporate, more celebrity-fueled feel to it than in the past. Incredibly, the driving force for me to go was the ardent passion of my youngest two daughters have for Steven Universe. When they heard Zach Callison (voice of Steven) was going to be there, it was a foregone conclusion. We were going.

With that now a fait d’accompli I had to decide my mission for the con. There were a number of creators at the con that I definitely wanted to meet. Peter Tomasi, Tom Grummett, Matthew Clark, Jonboy Meyers, Ty Templeton, and Tom King were all new faces for me. And there were other creators who I had met before that I wanted to run into again, most notably Tana Ford and Joelle Jones. And I grabbed any commission sketches while there that would be gravy. I decided to go Friday by myself to get my stuff out of the way. This way Saturday was a family day.



First things first. The venue, the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center was massive. It was big enough that people could line up inside and wait in the air conditioning as opposed to outside in the baking sun (like at the old venue). There was a lot of space so the con didn't feel claustrophobic (although the comic area did feel somewhat cramped). And there was a food court inside the building which made lunch easy.

The pass I got allowed me to enter the con space at 2pm as opposed to official opening of 4p. Amazingly many of the comic creators also filed in early. As a result I got much of the 'heavy lifting' out of the way.


I was also able to get a sketch book into the hands Tom Grummett. He signed issues for free. And a full body commission was very affordable. Despite being that early I was already something like 6 on his list so he told me to check in on Saturday afternoon.

Sure enough, the following day,  he presented me this fabulous commission. I am thrilled. There is a nice little feeling of mischief behind that innocent look. And she looks young, like the current Supergirl should.

I'll post the other commissions I got on later days. But I thought I would share some of the Supergirl specific issues I got signed.



Showcase 96 #8 is the first Supergirl story by Peter David, a foreword to his run on the solo title. That issue is signed by David, Terry Dodson, and Tom Grummett.

I also got Adventures of Superman #502 signed which sports a great Supergirl cover by Grummett as well.


I also got some signatures from JonBoy Meyers - his Comicon Box variant of the New 52 Supergirl #1, Adventures of Supergirl #2 (also signed by Cat Staggs), and New 52 Supergirl #35.

I also got Matthew Clark to sign Supergirl #38, also signed by Jamal Igle. I got Joelle Jones to sign all the Supergirl Being Super issues. And finally got Adam Hughes to sign his cover of Supergirl Rebirth #1.


But the best thing was being with the supergirls on Saturday. They practically melted when they met Zach Callison. That was awesome.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"When they heard Zach Callison (voice of Steven) was going to be there, it was a foregone conclusion. We were going."

So Supergirl Secundus and Superlass have already developed powers able to move planets? Good for them. :)

That commission is real beautiful. Kara looks so innocent and cheerful. And I agree, she looks a bit roguish. Is that current comic-book Supergirl?

"I got Joelle Jones to sign all the Supergirl Being Super issues."

You got to talk to her a bit, too?

"But the best thing was being with the supergirls on Saturday. They practically melted when they met Zach Callison. That was awesome."

That's great to hear.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful commission. I would have loved to see what the inked and colored version would have looked liked.

Anonymous said...

I would not say "rogue-ish" re the commission I'm more inclined to call it "mischievous"...nice pic though...


JF

Martin Gray said...

Gorgeous work from Tom Grummett and goodness, what a busy time you had. I'm glad the Supergirls had fun.