Monday, August 26, 2024

Review: Superman #17


Superman #17 came out this week, a tie-in to Absolute Power and the continuation of Superman and Zatanna's search for the Map of Mordru.

I am not getting the Absolute Power main series so much of what has led to this point is a bit lost to me. I have learned through panels in this book, podcasts, and other reviews that the Fortress is destroyed, Kandor is destroyed, and Jon is brainwashed and working for Waller. 

As for this issue, it is a Superman on the run, looking for anything to save his son and his world. Writer Joshua Williamson puts Superman through some paces here. He is powerless and walking through the chaotic magical world. It makes him a little bit of a fish out of water. But what I really love is that Superman remains proactive and heroic. He even puts a bit of an edge on our hero, perhaps showing how worried he is. This isn't our cool, collected, 'lead by example' Superman. He yells and hits and insults. Hey, his son is in danger. Anyone would be twitchy.

Jamal Campbell continues to give us polished art. It is incredibly rendered, giving it an almost CGI feel. The energy is there for sure. And between city scenes, forest scenes, and bar scenes, Campbell shows he has solid chops for all sorts of environs.

Add to this an cliffhanger involving a villain I haven't really thought about in over 25 years and you get an entertaining issue. On to some particulars.


The book starts with a flashback of Superboy battling 'Kid Warlock' in Smallville. I love the old school street sign and Superboy logo here. Nice callbacks.

I suppose I realize that I am quite old when the villain fighting 'Superman as a boy' is using words like 'rad'. I suppose Superman would be a boy in the 90s.

And with all the reboots and universes and revamps, I have to be honest. Is Superboy a thing again? I'm ashamed to admit I don't know if this is canon now or if Williamson is making it canon here.


Meanwhile, a depowered Zatanna and Superman are making their way through the labyrinth of the JLD headquarters.

Superman loses his composure in the scene, punching a wall. He is mad and sad about Jon. As I said, that makes sense. 

What I really liked was Williamson leaning into DC history. Zatanna can empathize with Superman. She was angry like this when Zatara died (wayyyy back in Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing). I like how she comforts the man of steel, reminding him of his humanity.


Meanwhile, the Metropolis gang are holed up in Lena's apartment.  They assume that Waller doesn't know that Lex has been mind-wiped. That she is gunning for Lex as a possible threat.

You want to see a couple of panels I chewed over for a while. The amnestic Lex says he thinks all he has heard about the old Lex makes him think that Luthor was a great man.

Is Lex fooling us?? Does he have his memory back??
Is Lex truly mind-wiped?

I read and re-read this trying to see if there was any clue that this whole thing is an act. 


I also learn a little about Mercy too.

I think her hugging Lex so tightly when she sees him shows her feelings. 

I am impressed with Williamson giving us a deeper look at Mercy, especially since Lazarus Planet. She is a hero, perhaps smitten with someone more evil than good. I really like this Mercy.


The labyrinth leads to an area of the rain forest, the home of the Parliament of Trees. Waller has men with flamethrowers there. Despite being depowered, Superman takes the fight to these men. This shows he isn't a hero just because he has powers and is invulnerable. There isn't really a need for this scene despite it being beautiful depicted by Campbell. Z could have found the artifact earlier, or in the maze. But it does give us that sense that Superman is still Superman, fighting for justice.

In the rainforest, Zatanna finds what she is looking for, a hidden artifact that blips her and Superman to the Oblivion Bar. 

She is met by Adam Aesford, a fan and stage musician. Is this guy known? He reeks of Felix Faust.


Apparently hiding in the bar are all sorts of magical powered people who are waiting for the storm of Absolute Power to blow over. I thought everyone lost their powers?? But apparently not. It is quite a crew. Creeper, Sargon, Nightshade for sure. I think Blaze and Yellow Peri too. And many others I can't make out in the dim coloring of the scene.

Superman calls them out as cowards. 

I am not used to seeing a Superman pushing people into action. I am more used to the 'lead by example' Superman. But these are tough times. And Jon is corrupted. He seems incensed that these folks are sitting this one out.

For me, it works. We don't see this Superman often. So when played right, it works.


Look who is there. Kid Warlock, still nursing a grudge.

Much like in the forest, we see that Superman can hold his own even without power.

He takes out this D-lister like yesterday's trash.

I loved this. Nice right jab to the kisser.


Remember though, they came here for the Map of Mordru. 

Neron has it. And is willing to make a deal.

Neron!!! I haven't really thought about him since Morrison's JLA run. Although I suppose he must have been part of Reign in Hell.

Nice cliffhanger.

This works as a tie-in, telling someone like me enough about the main book to get me up to speed. And I suppose this builds on what is happening there. But I like as showing us a Superman pushed to his limit, his family at risk, and willing to put some niceties behind him.

Overall grade: B

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a good tie-in and good story, and Campbell's art looks great as always. I do wish the Oblivion Bar wasn't colored largely in shades of purple and copper, cause it makes it hard to make most of the characters out. There's around 20 distinct magical characters in there (!), as listed here:

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Superman_Vol_6_17

Pretty amazing the way he is always able to put background characters into natural looking postures and activities - even if I can't match up most of them with the character list.

I wonder how detailed Williamson's script is - does he tell Campbell everyone to put in there, and who is sitting at which tables or at the bar?

T.N.

Anj said...

Amazing that all those people are there! Yes, the muddy tones didn't help. Although I suppose it was meant to be a shady bar. But still ...

Martin Gray said...

I’m with TN, Jamal Campbell loves the muddy tones, it’s almost always browns and purples a go-go! It’s a price worth paying for such lovely art, though.

I was surprised to see the Swamp Thing connection on the quest - sure, it’s always been a spooky strip but I’ve never considered Swampy to be a creature of magic, more part of the weirdest end of the DC Earth ecosystem.

Great review!