Friday, August 31, 2018

Legion Of Super-Bloggers 4 Year Anniversary


Earlier this year, Supergirl Comic Box Commentary celebrated its 10 year anniversary.
That is crazy.

Today is my own person 4 year anniversary of contributing to the Legion of Super-Bloggers.

I can vividly remember my recruitment. The Irredeemable Shag, of the FW Podcasts, called me one afternoon in July 2014. The blog was being put together. They needed members. And knowing my love for the Legion, he wondered if I would be interested.

It was a warm day and I was walking outside of work, wandering off the hospital campus and onto a college campus nearby. I sat down on steps leading into a gothic building where classes were going on. I asked if I could cover the early Five Years Later run. The rest is history.

I have been manning the shop on Fridays pretty much ever since.
I have covered:
  • The first 50 issues of the 5YL run
  • The Waid/Kitson Threeboot through that titles end under Jim Shooter
  • The Levitz/Giffen run from the original series, from #300 up to the inception of the Baxter run
  • The Legion Secret Origin mini-series
  • The New 52 Series
  • The New 52 Legion Lost series
  • And currently, the Retroboot, spinning out of the Johns/Frank reintroduction of the team in Action Comics
Unbelievable.
 


Here is my first post from way back when, talking about why I love the 5YL run.
http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-legion-five-years-later.html


If you want to know my supposed 'lifelong' love of the team, you can read about my history with the team here.
https://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspot.com/2014/10/my-life-long-love-of-legion.html 

But you shouldn't just be checking out 'Fridays with Anj'. The whole site is worth reviewing.

Now if only we could get an actual Legion book on the shelves!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Four years... It's amazing how time flies.

"Now if only we could get an actual Legion book on the shelves!"

Maybe after Doomsday Clock is over we'll finally see the Legion -any Legion- back. My guess is it'll be the classic team again, but making some changes and ignoring the latest years of storylines.

I'd like seeing Superboy and Supergirl as recurring members again. I think cutting off ties with the Superman books didn't work out in the long term.

What Superboy? Well, I liked when teenagers Kal and Kara interacted, even if it seldom happened (maybe I liked because Superboy treated her like his actual cousin instead of his surrogate daughter or immature kid sister or ward he didn't want to look after). But I don't imagine a current Legion book featuring teenager Clark Kent. And Kon-El is missing in action, so Jon would maybe be the best available option.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

I read all of your reviews of the Legion run with Supergirl (2004). Thank you for those.

Back in that era, I was reading the main SG title, but missed (usually, skipped) all the peripheral stories which I later got in TPB. (Imagine trying to catch up on all the New Krypton titles after the fact? I eventually managed it.)

I suppose this has been answered many times, but why is that called "Threeboot"? Is there anything different vs. any other reboot?

Is this right:

1st version Silver Age - continues through Superboy, other appearances, and 1973, 1980, 1984 series

First reboot - 1989 4th series (or perhaps it was rebooted in 1984)

Second reboot - 4th series #0 in 1994, published in-between #61 and #62, 5 years after the 4th series began publication - "5YL"

Third reboot - 2005 5th series - "threeboot"

Anj said...

Your description of the timeline of the Legion is correct. Hence the terminology.

Currently I am reviewing the series just pre-New 52, a time when DC erased all the other reboots and went back to the original. Deemed the Retroboot.

Anonymous said...

Ah, thanks for getting back to me on this. I'll check out your new posts over there.

BTW there is some spam in the post on Darkstars #34.