Saturday, January 18, 2014

Supergirl In Justice League United!


So let's talk about some Supergirl optimism after months of some hand wringing.

It was announced yesterday that Jeff Lemire's proposed Justice League Canada book is actually going to be called Justice League United. It is going to have both Earth-centric stories and cosmic level adventures. And one of the member of the League is going to be Supergirl! The book starts in April.

Here is a link to the announcement in USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/01/16/justice-league-united-comic-book-series/4529613/   It is well worth reading the whole article.

Now there is a ton of stuff to like about this. Supergirl being in the Justice League is a great boost for the character. I enjoyed her stint as the muscle in James Robinson's JLA a while back.

And look! She is in her costume. She isn't wearing a Red Lantern ring! She isn't vomiting blood!

Maybe her Red Daughter period will really be 'a moment'.

This makes me very very happy. And as a big Lemire fan, I can't wait to see how he writes Kara!

I also like the line-up. Martian Manhunter! Looks like blog friend Diabolu Frank and I are both going to be pumped. I don't mind the new Adam Strange look. And the idea of having some adventures on Thanagar and the like sounds great. And Stargirl might be a nice friend for Supergirl to have!

And assuming nothing drastic, it means we will have Kara in at least 2 books a month for the foreseeable future.


Art on the book is going to be done by Mike McKone. I like McKone's smooth style. I can't wait to see his take on these characters.

It also provides an excuse to repost my McKone Supergirl commission from several years ago.

This is great news on many levels!

17 comments:

Gear said...

This is nice to see. If Kara is willing to join a team then it means we're heading in a good direction. I didn't like her becoming a Red Lantern but the writers have said it's a transition for her. I was hoping the team she finally joined was Lantern based because there's so much story and history there, but maybe she'll maintain contacts and can be an intermediary between Lanterns and this new cosmic based Justice League.

Now if they could just add Vibe, or Simon Baz, or Jaime Reyes.

Anonymous said...

When I first heard this news, one of my first thoughts was "I bet Anj will be pleased with this news." I'm very excited by this title too given that as well as Supergirl, two of my other favourite heroes, Martian Manhunter and Green Arrow will be in there and the direction of the title seems very fitting for the expansive storylines. Lemire is also a trustworthy writer so that's another bonus.

Anj said...

I think it is great news!

The picture is named in a way that makes me think this is a variant cover.

I wonder if the team isn't fully formed in the first arc. I wonder if Supergirl joins the team in the second more cosmic arc. That would give more time for the Red Lantern arc to wrap up.

Green said...

it was time to feature supergirl in a team comic.

Count Drunkula said...

I think Hawkman and an original Canadian hero are supposed to be part of this team, so the full lineup may not be revealed on this variant cover, or possibly not even in the first issue(s).

AndNowInStereo said...

Between this, Red Lanterns, this month's Batman/Superman Annual and Secret Origins, Supergirl is going to be in a lot of books in 2014. This is pretty cool! And she's under the pen of good writers like Pak, Soule and Lemire too. Great!

Anonymous said...

I'd personally love to see Kara be a Red Lantern for a very short time, then return to normal BUT keep the red ring as a sort of eleventh-hour last-resort extra super power that she'd employ in this and her own book very sparingly.

It would add a fun extra dimension to her and provide an edge against the few villains who would normally be able to overpower a Kryptonian.

It would also give writers something to focus on in terms of showing continuity and character growth.

On a semi-related note, I just finished playing through Scribblenauts Unmasked and had lots of fun summoning Kara to help my adventures. Weirdly, there's only one version of her (the current one) as opposed to characters like Supes or Wondie where you have lots of versions to choose from. Well, I guess Cir-El sort of counts and she was in the game.

hogan said...

I object to the idea of supergirl being a red lantern is a bad thing because we haven't read the story yet.People are literally judging a book by it's cover.

Diabolu Frank said...

"Red Daughter period?" That's an exclamation point!

Martin Gray said...

(Doing the Snoopy dance!)

GettinJiggly said...

Anj that is a variant cover so could be just an original concept, DC's plans before they went the Red Lantern route, or it could be signs of things to come. I know in a prior announcement that DC stated they did have plans for her, and part of that was to be part of a bigger team, so maybe this was one of their original plans. Or that team could just be what we now know the Red Lanterns. I could see since they are going to make it a Earth/Space book and the Red Lanterns are protecting that sector now, that it's the JLU that brings Supergirl around from her "Rage".

Anonymous said...

Hold it, I'm confused...When the hell did Supergirl become Canadian?

:D

JF

Anj said...

Thanks for the comments.

Hogan, I know I am judging this story without reading it. I know it might be great. But the concept seems off. If Charles Soule said he was doing an arc where Batman was a coward, I bet Bat-fans would be upset.

And yes, William, I wonder if she shows up after the first arc and this is a shot of the eventual team.

elknight20 said...

That's good news. I just wished they switched up her costume, there.

LOVED Cat Stagg's SG costume in Smallville.

I was hoping that the artist went with something similar to that piece.

Anj said...

ealperin

I did wonder if the post Red Lantern Supergirl might be sporting a new costume.

Maybe this cover will be changed between now and then.

Anonymous said...

And did you see the good news in the April Supergirl solicit?

It said "Red Daughter of Krypton, PART 2 OF 3"

Wow. It looks like the Supergirl-Red Lantern period may be ending sooner than we hoped!

And there was much rejoicing.

Gerry Beritela

elknight20 said...

Agreed, Anj.

;)